• mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    One disadvantage of buying a puppy...razor-sharp teeth

But they are nice when asleep

• elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    MattFalle said:

elbowloh said:

This thread kind of echoes what i said which prompted the creation of this thread! People are paying loads of money out to breeders for dogs. I wish people would get rescues.

That's not simple either... it's less money and you are not subsidising this horrible trade, but these days you have to go through a third degree and a long process which resembles the adoption of a baby...
    Which is right and proper if you ask me.

Why shouldn’t you get the 3rd degree?

Indeed. I think people should need a licence to have a dog.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • MattFalle said:

elbowloh said:

This thread kind of echoes what i said which prompted the creation of this thread! People are paying loads of money out to breeders for dogs. I wish people would get rescues.

That's not simple either... it's less money and you are not subsidising this horrible trade, but these days you have to go through a third degree and a long process which resembles the adoption of a baby...

It's not the questions, it's the expectations... if you don't have a detached with half an acre of garden and an established blood line of that particular breed, you are not good enough by their standards...

It just seems yet another revolting expression of classism... if you don't have any of the above, then you're only good enough for the 12 YO decrepit staffie they desperately want to get rid of
    left the forum March 2023
  • elbowloh

MattFalle said:

elbowloh said:

It's not the questions, it's the expectations... if you don't have a detached with half an acre of garden and an established blood line of that particular breed, you are not good enough by their standards...

It just seems yet another revolting expression of classism... if you don't have any of the above, then you're only good enough for the 12 YO decrepit staffie they desperately want to get rid of
    This is why the whole pedigree thing is nonsense also in my mind
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,218
    elbowloh said:

MattFalle said:

elbowloh said:

Indeed. I think people should need a licence to have a dog.
    Which we used to have. Bringing it back retrospectively isn't easy and could lead to more dogs getting dumped. At least microchipping is required these days but even that doesn't get enforced much as there just aren't the resources.

I've no problem with vetting for rescue dogs but some of the rescue organisations are over the top. Ultimately, outside of current times, finding someone who can be home all day, every day as some of them seem to want is seriously limiting their options. It's very difficult to get the balance right and if you make the vetting too hard people will just buy something as there are less checks
  • Pross said:

I've no problem with vetting for rescue dogs but some of the rescue organisations are over the top. Ultimately, outside of current times, finding someone who can be home all day, every day as some of them seem to want is seriously limiting their options. It's very difficult to get the balance right and if you make the vetting too hard people will just buy something as there are less checks

This

• One place wouldn't let us have a dog because our garden didn't have a fence on one side at that point, but was going to get one within a few weeks. I asked if it would have been ok if we didn't have a back garden at all, because there is a field at the end of the road, and was told yes.
  • elbowloh
    I agree that in the vetting they may be focusing on the wrong things, but vetting is needed. My wife seems badly treated and abused dogs regularly.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,719
    Some rescues import dogs now. That raises issues about importing diseases with them and that some of these dogs have been semi feral street dogs and aren't always suited to family life. I know some dog charities oppose it.

On breeders though - 3k for a pedigree dog is ridiculous - I've seen the ads and that's why I researched what I'd have to pay before making enquiries with breeders - it was actually through asking about prices in the breed that someone put me in touch with someone who had just mated her bitch so I'm in her waiting list at the moment but it is subject to how many female puppies she has. If I'd been told 3k I'd have left it 6 months and seen if prices returned to normal.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • ... it's the rise of dog behaviourists... after the bike fitters... yet another category existing for the sole reason of complicating people's lives
  • elbowloh

... it's the rise of dog behaviourists... after the bike fitters... yet another category existing for the sole reason of complicating people's lives

This.

Wife's cousin got a rescue and has gone totally over the top, including getting a behaviourist. To the point she listens to the behaviourist over the medical advice given by the vet.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    elbowloh said:

I agree that in the vetting they may be focusing on the wrong things, but vetting is needed. My wife seems badly treated and abused dogs regularly.

I'm sorry that your wife seems to be badly treated, but it's terrible that she abused dogs :o
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,690
    At the risk of getting sentimental, here's Jessica, photo taken in about 1988, I think. She turned out to be quite a good cow dog, if slightly flightier than cows really appreciate. She made me laugh one morning when in the murk of 5am I sent her into a field to get the cows back to the gate, and she came back with all of them, bar a few over the other side of the field (or so I thought). I told her to go and get the others, but she didn't seem keen, but eventually relented, and went off to the end of the field where I'd pointed. As she got close, the half a dozen deer which she had ignored first time jumped up and ran off in the opposite direction, at which point, Jessica came running back to me with an expression as if to say "So you didn't believe me when I told you I'd got all the cows, eh?" She was an absolute dear, but just wanted to work all day. I couldn't have one as a house pet. Oh, and she cost me £30, I think, the result of an illicit liaison.

• elbowloh

elbowloh said:

I'm sorry that your wife seems to be badly treated, but it's terrible that she abused dogs :o
    Ha. I meant sees!
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • davep1
    davep1 Posts: 836
    elbowloh said:

davep1 said:

elbowloh said:

Whereabouts in Malaysia (if you don't mind me asking)?

Actually that's my memory playing tricks on me, they were words in Malay from our travels. Batu and Bala were the cat names, I was born in a British mini hospital in Taiwan, in the middle of the country roughly.
    Just interested as my dad is from Malaysia (from Malacca, but lives in KL). One of our little boy's middle names is Gili (small island), as my wife and i got engaged on Gili Trawangan in Indonesia.

Batu - from the Batu caves?
    Yes for Batu, can't remember why or what Bala meant. I see auto correct changed Taiping to Taiwan in my earlier post. And military to mini 🙄
  • Both a cat and dog man
    Rossi, our Rhodesian Ridgeback

And Rossi annoying our cat, Messi

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,218
    I had thought about a Rhodesian Ridgeback but they are probably a little bit too big for me. One of our neighbours had one and he was brilliant.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    As a kid we had a ridgeback, a magnificent dog. We also had a miniature poodle. The ridgeback used to cry when the poodle stole his food. The only way the poodle could have hurt the ridgeback was if the ridgeback had choked on him. But the poodle was boss.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Used to regularly meet a guy with 3 huge Rhodies running in the woods by us. Would have terrified anyone scared of dogs - not badly behaved but so full of bounce! I loved them: is it true they were bred to hunt lions? :o
  • is it true they were bred to hunt lions? :o

Originally used to track and hunt game in Africa. They would never attack a loin or any big game (they’re not that stupid :D ) but would keep the animal “at bay” so the hunter could get a shot at the target. They are fantastic protecting dogs and were often used as “nanny’s” for the children on the African farms. Fiercely loyal to their families, some are quite aloof to strangers. Our first Ridgie (who we lost 18months ago :( ) was like this. If he made friends with you you were highly honoured. This one (Rossi) however is completely the opposite, he’s a complete goon and loves anyone and everyone. It can work against him though, 46kg of dog bounding up to a stranger to say hello must be very disconcerting! The boss in the house is the cat though :D
  • ballysmate

Used to regularly meet a guy with 3 huge Rhodies running in the woods by us. Would have terrified anyone scared of dogs - not badly behaved but so full of bounce! I loved them: is it true they were bred to hunt lions? :o

That is apparently correct so I would expect them not to be too concerned about giving Billy Burglar the welcome he deserves.
    I think breeders have consciously downsized the breed in recent years though, producing smaller dogs.
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,551
    Our previous dog was a Ridgeback / Rottweiler cross. Beautiful nature. Lost him at 13 years.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • ballysmate

Like our previous cats, George adopted us.
    He always eats what he catches, maybe just leaving an odd feather.

And here he is again, showing he's still got it.

And 2 minutes later...

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,488
    One of ours likes to occasionally bring a mouse in. More as a toy than a gift. Trouble is when she lets it go, it inevitably darts behind the washing machine. We then have a week or so of both cats sniffing around the skirtings until the other one (who is more interested in eating mice than playing) catches it.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,498
    When one of our cats was young he brought in a magpie. We have also had a crow and a wood pidgeon.

The wood pidgeon didn't make it, but there was a stand off followed by a truce for the other two.

He also wrestled a dead sparrowhawk through the cat flap once. I think he found it.

Voles are very common, but we have also had mice, obvs., shrews, which they can't eat, a mole, some leverets and an adult rabbit a couple of times.

Lots of small birds, but not as many as you would think.

No rats thank god.

• MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    Right,

I ain't no vet, innit fam, but I think the Long Nose's head has fallen off ....

The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • First.Aspect
    rjsterry said:

One of ours likes to occasionally bring a mouse in. More as a toy than a gift. Trouble is when she lets it go, it inevitably darts behind the washing machine. We then have a week or so of both cats sniffing around the skirtings until the other one (who is more interested in eating mice than playing) catches it.

They are teaching you to hunt when they bring them in. Basically, you are a bit crap at it, here's one I prepared earlier.

Re-the long drawn out teasing death they inflict, one explanation I've read is that if the prey is a bit lively, it shows they aren't about to eat something that is ill.
  • rjsterry

rjsterry said:

They are teaching you to hunt when they bring them in. Basically, you are a bit censored at it, here's one I prepared earlier.

Re-the long drawn out teasing death they inflict, one explanation I've read is that if the prey is a bit lively, it shows they aren't about to eat something that is ill.
    I think they just like things that move. I think a lot of the theories people put forward are because they are squeamish about cats having no concept of cruelty.

Yes, my mouse hunting skills are vastly inferior. I did manage to move it on from the space under the fridge with a vacuum cleaner nozzle. I also can't stroll along the top edge of a larch lap fence while flicking the Vees at the local foxes.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• First.Aspect
    rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

They are teaching you to hunt when they bring them in. Basically, you are a bit censored at it, here's one I prepared earlier.

I think they just like things that move. I think a lot of the theories people put forward are because they are squeamish about cats having no concept of cruelty.

Yes, my mouse hunting skills are vastly inferior. I did manage to move it on from the space under the fridge with a vacuum cleaner nozzle. I also can't stroll along the top edge of a larch lap fence while flicking the Vees at the local foxes.
    Are you able to lick your own bum?
  • rjsterry
    Give me a moment...
    Pinnacle Monzonite