Comments

• DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744

[Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    seanoconn said:

Here’s the pup ...

“I didn’t mean to eat your shoes daddy.” Seriously cute, like a cartoon puppy.
    Glad you and lincolndave like her. She’s getting slightly easier to cope with now she’s had her second jab and can burn off energy on walks. We didn’t want another puppy but trying to get a rescue dog at the moment is like trying to get your child into the most exclusive public school. I unsuccessfully applied for two lurchers locally through Dogs Trust but you currently have to go through a national call centre, complete an online form and wait. If you don’t hear back within five days your application is not going further. They say they are getting hundreds of applications for some dogs. We got our pup from a sheep farm just across the Welsh border from us in Shropshire - a litter of six from their family pets.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,923
    Maybe they need to update the old slogan:

"A dog is for life, not just for lockdown".
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,415
    oxoman said:

Here's my vicious Staffy. NOT, he,d show a burglar all the good stuff for a tummy rub or a biscuit. Rehomed a few years ago from a young family with no time to love him.

Looks like the Little Rascals dog.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • He's savage.

• ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    seanoconn said:

Like our previous cats, George adopted us.
    He always eats what he catches, maybe just leaving an odd feather.

What’s he got there Bally? Can’t quite make it out.
    It was a pigeon. All he left was a single feather.
    That was taken last March, soon after we were adopted. He turned up, seemingly a stray and we started to feed him. The woman around the corner got annoyed because he kept giving her cat a dusting and advertised for his owner on FB. His owner duly claimed, collected and took him home about half a mile away.. She said she would keep him in so that he would get used to feeling at home.
    An hour later he was back on our settee, having ripped her cat flap off in order to get out.
    He's now officially our cat.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,583

Nice, that's a Groenendael isn't it? I do like those too but the wife doesn't want a long haired breed. From what I've read the 4 Belgians are basically the same dog beneath the coat. I'm tempted by the Dutch Shepherd as it is a touch smaller and supposedly slightly calmer but there aren't as many around. I've seen a few Mali Dutch crosses though.
  • Pross
    edited January 2021
    Dup
  • Pross

This is my bull lurcher Dora, a Staffie/sight hound mix. We rescued her at the age of about six months. So fast and strong and rippling with muscles, like a greyhound on steroids with a big jaw. The tabloids carried stories a few years ago about bull lurchers being a new fad among criminals and poachers wanting a “designer super dog”. Dora adored people more than any dog I’ve known and was a great companion for running, long walks and camper van trips. She was so easy going and really popular with friends who normally disliked dogs. But she had no recall and we had to be careful around other dogs. She died a few weeks ago at the age of 11 due to a tumour in her chest. We now have a Welsh border collie/working cocker spaniel lockdown puppy. We’d forgotten how hard it was to bring up a pup.

I like her. I was considering a greyhound or lurcher but the wife isn't a fan, she's loves Staffies though so that could be a compromise. Not exactly something that will be commonplace though. Nice house by the way ;)
  • Pross

@Pross Aren’t the Malinois the ones that jump very high fences? Hassle to keep if so. I have a friend who’s a full time dog trainer, and she’s not that keen on the “shepherd/herder” type dogs as pets either as they are too much work and can be nippy.

Around here, there’s lots of Border Collies, and Westie terriers, and they’re all barking (literally).

If you want a dog to go walking/running, get a greyhound. 😀

https://youtube.com/watch?v=D7omYcdE7xI&feature=share

Yeah, they are very popular in agility sport so can probably jump most things. It wouldn't be in the garden unsuprvised though, our garden isn't the biggest and the neighbours have guinea pigs. We've got 6 foot fences but even our previous Staffie, who was small for the breed, used to escape and we would get a call from the shop across the road telling us Rosie had come to visit again (we eventually discovered she was using the lid on the kids' sandpit as a launch pad!). From my reading so far the consensus seems to be you need to get them young and train them straight away, they will then be fine with people and other pets as long as you keep them exercised and mentally stimulated.
  • Pross

He's savage.

I've never met one that isn't soft. They've had such bad press over the years but it must take a real effort and abuse by the owners to make them aggresive. The biggest issue I've had with both of ours is that you can't let them off the lead as people get funny if they go in their direction whereas they'll encourage a yappy little terrier type to go and see them and I know which I would trust the least!
  • mercia_man
    Pross said:

This is my bull lurcher Dora, a Staffie/sight hound mix. We rescued her at the age of about six months. So fast and strong and rippling with muscles, like a greyhound on steroids with a big jaw. The tabloids carried stories a few years ago about bull lurchers being a new fad among criminals and poachers wanting a “designer super dog”. Dora adored people more than any dog I’ve known and was a great companion for running, long walks and camper van trips. She was so easy going and really popular with friends who normally disliked dogs. But she had no recall and we had to be careful around other dogs. She died a few weeks ago at the age of 11 due to a tumour in her chest. We now have a Welsh border collie/working cocker spaniel lockdown puppy. We’d forgotten how hard it was to bring up a pup.

I like her. I was considering a greyhound or lurcher but the wife isn't a fan, she's loves Staffies though so that could be a compromise. Not exactly something that will be commonplace though. Nice house by the way ;)

It’s Trewyn Manor House, near Pandy, Monmouthshire, in the Brecon Beacons National Park - a great place for taking an energetic dog trail running.

Dora was so pleasant and easy to live with when she was older. And it was wonderful to have such an affectionate dog that never barked and walked so well on a lead. We thought she was the perfect dog for our lifestyle. But she was an escape artist when young and you always had to be cautious with other dogs. She particularly hated terriers running up at her and barking. If you own a bull lurcher you have to be aware your dog has the speed, strength and prey drive to cause serious harm to other people’s pets and wild animals. Bull lurchers are unusual looking - and handsome to my eyes. When walking her, we regularly had people asking “what kind of a dog is that?”

• thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,153
    Pross said:

He's savage.

I've never met one that isn't soft. They've had such bad press over the years but it must take a real effort and abuse by the owners to make them aggresive.
    Worst guard dogs ever.
    Like oxoman said a belly rub and they're all yours.

• This is my bull lurcher Dora, a Staffie/sight hound mix. We rescued her at the age of about six months. So fast and strong and rippling with muscles, like a greyhound on steroids with a big jaw. The tabloids carried stories a few years ago about bull lurchers being a new fad among criminals and poachers wanting a “designer super dog”. Dora adored people more than any dog I’ve known and was a great companion for running, long walks and camper van trips. She was so easy going and really popular with friends who normally disliked dogs. But she had no recall and we had to be careful around other dogs. She died a few weeks ago at the age of 11 due to a tumour in her chest. We now have a Welsh border collie/working cocker spaniel lockdown puppy. We’d forgotten how hard it was to bring up a pup.

Is that your gaff? 🙀
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,538
    Pross said:

Harry182 said:

Pross said:

As the trivially annoying thread has got dominated by dog talk today I thought it might be useful to have a thread to discuss the pets we have, have had or would like to have or where people can get or give advice. I was going to make it a dog thread but in the times of inclusivity thought I'd better open it up.

I'm hoping for more photos.

Our current pair. My daughter's rescue Staffie and our Cockerpoo. Slightly deceptive as the Cockerpoo is very small for the breed (runt of the litter and dad was a toy poodle) and Staffie is actually a big example (possibly got something else in the mix).

In close to half a century I think I've only had a few months without dogs. When I lived with my parents we had up to four at a time along with a cat, various furry rodents and a load of terrapins my mum got from somewhere (the smelled worse than any other creature I've owned). I've also had a few horses at the high end of the maintenance scale - if any of you have kids that want to go that route bribe them with expensive toys instead!
    Good pics Pross.

Your cockerpoo is a bit like our smaller one - there is toy in his ancestry 2 generations back so he weighs in at 10.5kg as opposed to his great uncle (the larger one) who is just over 14.5kg.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666
    edited January 2021

Here’s the pup ...

Very cute MM.

Ours can look cute,
    but not always....

"I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • mercia_man
    No. Wish it was. Just looked it up and it was for sale but withdrawn not long ago. It’s a lovely area. I’ve stayed several times at the nearby Caravan Club site at Pandy - ideally situated for cycling and walking.
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,562
    Out on our local walk...

Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Great photo, lovely dog!
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • mercia_man
    edited January 2021
    Love all the pet pix. Here’s more..

• Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    That's a beauty of a cockerel!
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Stevo_666
    Some great pics here. Hopefully this one is slightly better quality than the crappy ones posted from my phone above.

• MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    Longnose at the beach.

The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • MattFalle
    and one more

• Pross

Pross said:

It’s Trewyn Manor House, near Pandy, Monmouthshire, in the Brecon Beacons National Park - a great place for taking an energetic dog trail running.

Dora was so pleasant and easy to live with when she was older. And it was wonderful to have such an affectionate dog that never barked and walked so well on a lead. We thought she was the perfect dog for our lifestyle. But she was an escape artist when young and you always had to be cautious with other dogs. She particularly hated terriers running up at her and barking. If you own a bull lurcher you have to be aware your dog has the speed, strength and prey drive to cause serious harm to other people’s pets and wild animals. Bull lurchers are unusual looking - and handsome to my eyes. When walking her, we regularly had people asking “what kind of a dog is that?”

Should have recognised that then, I used to live a few miles down the road and my parents still do!
  • Pross
    MattFalle said:

Longnose at the beach.

I'd love one of those but not allowed.
  • Pross
    Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Harry182 said:

Pross said:

As the trivially annoying thread has got dominated by dog talk today I thought it might be useful to have a thread to discuss the pets we have, have had or would like to have or where people can get or give advice. I was going to make it a dog thread but in the times of inclusivity thought I'd better open it up.

I'm hoping for more photos.

Our current pair. My daughter's rescue Staffie and our Cockerpoo. Slightly deceptive as the Cockerpoo is very small for the breed (runt of the litter and dad was a toy poodle) and Staffie is actually a big example (possibly got something else in the mix).

In close to half a century I think I've only had a few months without dogs. When I lived with my parents we had up to four at a time along with a cat, various furry rodents and a load of terrapins my mum got from somewhere (the smelled worse than any other creature I've owned). I've also had a few horses at the high end of the maintenance scale - if any of you have kids that want to go that route bribe them with expensive toys instead!
    Good pics Pross.

Your cockerpoo is a bit like our smaller one - there is toy in his ancestry 2 generations back so he weighs in at 10.5kg as opposed to his great uncle (the larger one) who is just over 14.5kg.
    She has always been underweight. She was an older pup when we got her and I think had previously been returned. When we picked her up she was living in an outdoor kennel with her mum (the dad was a spoiled house dog, mum a working cocker) and she suffered with seperation issues. She didn't eat or drink for days when we first had her, I had to feed her a few bits of dried food at a time. For about 6 years she was fussy with food and wouldn't put weight on but when the Staffie moved in with us she discovered that if she didn't eat her food quickly he would and she has got much better. It's quite funny seeing her at maybe 7 or 8kg seeing off the big 20kg+ Staffie when he gets too close to her bowl.
  • MattFalle
    Pross said:

MattFalle said:

Longnose at the beach.

I'd love one of those but not allowed.
    Longnoses are mega - lazy as: 2/3 30 min walks a day where they run themselves ragged then collapse.

Wonderful with bambini, really loving, treat the whole. Family as pack so will never leave you. Great cuddles and generally really affectionate but so stupid they are funny.

Very recommended.

• mercia_man
    I love this thread. Aren’t dogs great! Since moving down from the hills into a village two years ago, we’ve got to know so many people simply through walking dogs. Aimlessly trudging round the block on your own for lockdown exercise is deadly boring. A dog makes all the difference. Two big things I’ve noticed since covid struck are the number of cyclists on the road and the number of dogs being walked.