The Pet Thread

Comments

• ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Pross said:

oxoman said:

Been a few around me, 8 dachshunds nicked in one hit. One recovered so far. Bloke walking his St Bernard was threatened by someone with a knife, luckily dog and owner ok. Certainly made us think when youngest walks out mutt.

I can't believe how blatant it's getting. I guess that the toe rags are just seeing beloved pooches as wodges of cash being taken out in public places on bits of string. It does make you wonder how they are converting such large numbers into cash though... there must be people offering lots of random dogs for sale and having to make up plausible back-stories.
    I think in a lot of cases they are looking for dogs to breed from rather than to just sell on. One woman near me yesterday was approached and asked if the dog had been neutered, would she use it to breed etc. before they tried to snatch it. My daughter is walking ours on a chain lead now as they've apparently cut leads so they can steal the dog in some cases. Maybe carrying a spare chain lead is more appropriate as you wouldn't want the dog running off if its lead gets cut...
    Yep, carry an extra chain, perhaps even a bit heaver than the dog needs. Then wrap it around any would be thief's mush.
  • ballysmate
    A few months ago my missus got some reduced to clear prawns, which the cat wolfed down.
    He now gets prawns every time she goes shopping.
  • Harry182
    Harry182 Posts: 1,169
    oxoman said:

Mines had the chop, bless him. Oh and he's a nasty vicious staffy so not so trendy. Their tongues are so vicious they can lick a person to death at 50 paces, plus mines like most other staffìes soft as 💩.

I've never met a staffie I didn't like. Those dogs have some personality.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    The charity vets only treat neutered animals, so if you it treated, you have to agree to it being given the snip or spayed.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    edited February 2021
    rjsterry said:

Pross said:

oxoman said:

Been a few around me, 8 dachshunds nicked in one hit. One recovered so far. Bloke walking his St Bernard was threatened by someone with a knife, luckily dog and owner ok. Certainly made us think when youngest walks out mutt.

I can't believe how blatant it's getting. I guess that the toe rags are just seeing beloved pooches as wodges of cash being taken out in public places on bits of string. It does make you wonder how they are converting such large numbers into cash though... there must be people offering lots of random dogs for sale and having to make up plausible back-stories.
    I think in a lot of cases they are looking for dogs to breed from rather than to just sell on. One woman near me yesterday was approached and asked if the dog had been neutered, would she use it to breed etc. before they tried to snatch it. My daughter is walking ours on a chain lead now as they've apparently cut leads so they can steal the dog in some cases. Maybe carrying a spare chain lead is more appropriate as you wouldn't want the dog running off if its lead gets cut...
    Begs the question why people aren't getting animals neutered as a matter of course. It's not like we are short of strays.

If you own a dog and bitch then it's certainly more convenient to have one or other done but there is a growing body of evidence that doing so makes them more susceptible to various conditions.

Temperament wise there are swings and roundabouts - certain types of aggression can be reduced, fear aggression can be increased.

If you don't own a dog and a b itch then I can't really see the argument for routine neutering.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • DeVlaeminck
    Also rehoming charities import a load of strays so arguably we are short of them!
  • elbowloh
    edited February 2021

rjsterry said:

Pross said:

oxoman said:

Begs the question why people aren't getting animals neutered as a matter of course. It's not like we are short of strays.

If you own a dog and censored then it's certainly more convenient to have one or other done but there is a growing body of evidence that doing so makes them more susceptible to various conditions.

Temperament wise there are swings and roundabouts - certain types of aggression can be reduced, fear aggression can be increased.

If you don't own a dog and a b itch then I can't really see the argument for routine neutering.
    Having them done actually makes them less susceptible to lots of horrible things like pyometras and various types of cancer.

Plus there are just too many dogs and cats out there. People's pets get pregnant by "accident" and they end up in shelters or put down (properly by a vet or inhumanely)
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • elbowloh
    Oh and male un-neutered cats are open to getting FIV.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • DeVlaeminck
    edited February 2021
    I'm talking about dogs - cats are generally free roaming so of course if they are entire they will likely find a mate. I wouldn't keep an entire Tom not because of it catching FIV through fighting but the cost of vets bills getting it patched up, the fact their scent marking stinks and they go missing searching for females.

If you believe spay/neuter is a health benefit we will just have to disagree.
  • elbowloh

I'm talking about dogs - cats are generally free roaming so of course if they are entire they will likely find a mate. I wouldn't keep an entire Tom not because of it catching FIV through fighting but the cost of vets bills getting it patched up, the fact their scent marking stinks and they go missing searching for females.

Its the opinion of my wife, who is a vet and she's "educated" me!
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,637
    elbowloh said:

There seems to be a small number of studies relating to early neutering, of possible joint or cancer risks to certain dog breeds.

There is a larger body of work that shows a reduction in risk of other conditions.

It doesn't seem a stretch to say that hormonal changes might have pros and cons.
  • ballysmate
    Cat's got tiger prawns today.
  • elbowloh

elbowloh said:

There seems to be a small number of studies relating to early neutering, of possible joint or cancer risks to certain dog breeds.

There is a larger body of work that shows a reduction in risk of other conditions.

It doesn't seem a stretch to say that hormonal changes might have pros and cons.
    What do you mean by early? I don't think they advocate neutering dogs when they're puppies
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • First.Aspect
    elbowloh said:

elbowloh said:

What do you mean by early? I don't think they advocate neutering dogs when they're puppies
    Didn't look at it in detail, and was just an Atlantic article. But it said the study was for animals neutered at less than 1 year old, so not that young.

Very hard to say whether they have compensated for other factors, such as what sort of life a non neutered dog is likely to have, compared to a neutered one. Given the overwhelming advice is to neuter, the two samples used might not be comparable.
  • DeVlaeminck
    elbowloh said:

That's fine people can choose, but there are two sides to the debate.

I mean not many vets choose a hysterectomy or castration for themselves to take advantage of these health benefits.

I've copied and pasted the text below but you can add in a large increase in joint injuries including ACLs which are getting quite common in some breeds. As all my dogs lead active lives that's a consideration - if only financial as an ACL op is about £2k.

---------

"According to Laura J Sanborn, M.S. of Rutgers University notes that the cons of spaying include:

A significant increase in the risk of osteosarcoma (bone cancer) in dogs spayed before 1 year of age This is a common cancer in larger breeds with a poor prognosis.
    An increase in the risk of splenic hemangiosarcoma by a factor of 2.2 and cardiac hemangiosarcoma by a factor of >5; these are common cancers and a major cause of death in some breeds.
    A tripled risk of hypothyroidism.
    An increased risk for obesity by a factor of 1.6-2. Obesity is becoming an increasingly common health problem in dogs with several associated health problems.
    Up to 20% of female dogs experience "spay incontinence" after the procedure or later in life.
    Persistent and recurring urinary tract infections are increased by a factor of 3-4. Urinary tract tumor risk, though small (less than 1%), is doubled.
    An increased risk of recessed vulva, vaginal dermatitis, and vaginitis, especially in female dogs spayed before puberty.
    An increased risk of orthopedic disorders.
    An increased risk of adverse reactions to vaccinations.
    Effects of neutering the male dog
    The benefits of neutering a male dog include curbing the desire to roam from home. More intact male dogs get hit by cars than neutered dogs. Neutering a male dog usually decreases the incidence of urinary marking. Gonadectomy also prevents testicular cancer, but this is a rare cancer in the first place.

It seems that cons for neutering a male dog far outweigh the benefits in terms of a dog's health. Risks associated with neutering male dogs include:

A significant increase in the risk of osteosarcoma (bone cancer) in dogs neutered before 1 year of age. As with spayed females, this is a common cancer that occurs in larger breeds with a poor prognosis.
    An increase in the risk of cardiac hemangiosarcoma by a factor of 1.6.
    A tripled risk of hypothyroidism.
    An increase in progressive geriatric cognitive impairment (canine dementia).
    A tripled risk of obesity which contributes to many related health problems.
    A quadrupled risk of prostate cancer (though still small - less than 0.6%).
    A doubled risk of urinary tract cancers (less than 1%).
    An increased risk of orthopedic disorders.
    An increased risk of adverse reactions to vaccinations.
    Recent studies on German Shepherds, Golden Retrievers, Vizslas, and Rotweillers have indicated that spaying and neutering can have a dramatic increase for the risk for several serious diseases and behavioral problems in these breeds.
  • elbowloh
    You do know dogs and cats aren't people right?

As First Aspect says, that's about animals neutered before 1 year old. No one is advocating that.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,572
    Chose my new German Shepherd puppy today, deposit paid and pick him up in just over 3 weeks.

It's the first time I've had a puppy from birth (our current dog was about 6 months old when we got her). There were two boys and a girl left with someone going to see about the girl tomorrow which meant I effectively had the decision of which one might up getting left on its own which was so hard. Hopefully he'll get a home by time they're ready to go though.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Very very sweet.

Lovely dogs.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644

dog in his newly decorated bedroom.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • First.Aspect
    We have Bengals. Just like dogs, only they don't do what you say and sleep 18 hours a day.
  • ballysmate
    Cat was due his annual jab at 10.20 but as of 10.00 he hadn't returned from patrolling his patch, so I had to phone and cancel the appointment.
    10.28 he rocks up with that strut that only a cat who has got one over on you can pull off.
    Should I pop over to the other thread and mark him down as an anti vaxxer?
  • Pross
    You should rename the cat Joe.
  • ballysmate
    Cat is now an ex anti vaxxer.
    He did hold his one cat noisy protest though.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,203
    edited March 2021
  • Pross
    Not sure it's worth a double post - pick a thread and go with it.
  • First.Aspect

Cat was due his annual jab at 10.20 but as of 10.00 he hadn't returned from patrolling his patch, so I had to phone and cancel the appointment.
    10.28 he rocks up with that strut that only a cat who has got one over on you can pull off.
    Should I pop over to the other thread and mark him down as an anti vaxxer?

In my experience ALL cats are anti vaxers.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Pross
    Nice try!
  • Pross

Picking up my new boy tomorrow