Cross 20-21 *spoilers* (NOT rider of the year 2020)

12346»

Comments

• m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,342
    RichN95. said:

Can’t wait to see how those overhyped old tossers Sagan, Van Avermaet, etc cope with them in the Classics...

I expect it will work in Sagan's favour as he will no longer be the no 1 favourite and the two Vans will be too preoccupied by their hype to notice.
    I would also expect Sagan to win the 3 man sprint.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,583
    edited February 2021
    RichN95. said:

Can’t wait to see how those overhyped old tossers Sagan, Van Avermaet, etc cope with them in the Classics...

I expect it will work in Sagan's favour as he will no longer be the no 1 favourite and the two Vans will be too preoccupied by their hype to notice.
    They do need to learn there are others out there who, while maybe not having quite the level of natural talent, are top quality pros who know how to win and stop focussing solely on each other.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,583
    RichN95. said:

Mainly though I'm excited to see how Pidcock goes on the road. I'm expecting great things from him (though not necessarily in his first season)

I'm not convinced he'll be a classics guy. At least not the cobbles. More an Ardennes type I think. But mostly a stage racer.
    I'm intrigued to see what way he goes. His build suggests stage racer / hilly Classics but it also suggests he shouldn't have the power he has riding 'cross.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,360
    m.r.m. said:

RichN95. said:

Overhyped - GvA, yes but you can't say that for Sagan surely?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pinno said:

MvdP slipped, fell and accidentally unclipped up the incline and still won. He is head and shoulders above the rest. Whilst WvA may have punctured (near one of the best places on course to do so), he did not have the power of MvdP imho.

It was a great WC and a display of class by MvdP.
    (I was rooting for WvA).

WvA says he noticed the puncture just after the pits so I’d say that’s the worst place to pick one up. Cost him 30s that lap.

Although MvdP looked pristine when in the lead he did seem to be making mistakes when pressure was on to catch WvA.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,342
    pinno said:

m.r.m. said:

RichN95. said:

Wouldn't that make GVA a better sprinter than Sagan in your opinion? I'm not sure I understand your take if that is what you're saying.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,470
    As with last year I think the course choice made cross look a bit naff.

However, after thinking about it, I realised that this is exactly what cross is. It's a contrived course to give riders a bit of training in winter. Hopefully this realisation will help me enjoy these set up courses a bit more. I always like the more natural course like Namur.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • pinno
    m.r.m. said:

pinno said:

m.r.m. said:

RichN95. said:

Wouldn't that make GVA a better sprinter than Sagan in your opinion? I'm not sure I understand your take if that is what you're saying.
    I was merely contradicting the statement.
    For clarification (?!) I agree that GVA is overhyped. I disagree that Sagan is overhyped.

• andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,132
    gsk82 said:

As with last year I think the course choice made cross look a bit naff.

However, after thinking about it, I realised that this is exactly what cross is. It's a contrived course to give riders a bit of training in winter. Hopefully this realisation will help me enjoy these set up courses a bit more. I always like the more natural course like Namur.

I'm the same. We know that is how the sport started - but that doesn't mean it has to stay like that. Evolve, improve, etc I compare to how MTB has changed, and become more technical, with better racing.
    I wish they'd pick more natural, technical courses for the CX Worlds, instead of the mainly flat, featureless ones we tend to get.
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    yeah, but (normally) cross makes its money from being in a tight small area with an entry fee, a tent playing awful music and an infinite amount of beer and friets with riders passing you multiple times on the same lap. That's a major benefit it has over XC
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver
    - @ddraver
  • Surprised not more has been made of Laurens Sweeck's weekend.

And the team tactics involing Eli Iserbyt for a change!

After the terrible stress of the preceeding week I don't think anyone could deny Laurens a weeked double.

Well done lad!!!
  • ddraver
    Confess I got distracted by the rugby and the half-decent weather down here this weekend...
    - @ddraver
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    A photo from the bloke who stood in the sea.

Twitter: @RichN95
  • ddraver
    edited February 2021
    I don't want to be a negative nancy but...I'm not sure that was worth it... 🤔

It makes sense that he's a surf photographer usually though
    - @ddraver
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    ddraver said:

I think that's just a sample. He'll have others
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • pinno
    There's things called 'boats' you know.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,328
    RichN95. said:

ddraver said:

I think that's just a sample. He'll have others
    I think they'll all be a bit samey. Surf photography doesn't usually involve much zoom, so I think he was a bit under-equipped for shooting from that distance.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format