Cross 20-21 *spoilers* (NOT rider of the year 2020)

Comments

• andyrac said:

Was a good contest; a CX rider with MTB experience getting the better of a rider with a road background.

The same could be said of the men's race too. Twas MVDP's descending what won it for him to some extent
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,326
    More MvdP in the world Cup. He's a monster. The battle for 2nd looked interesting for a while between Pidcock and WVA, but it was a lap too long for Tom
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,470
    Fabio Aru finished 5th in an Italian equivalent of the Yorkshire Points Series on his first race for Quebeka
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,132
    Going by his social media, he's enjoying racing CX; as does Haussler......
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • crossed
    crossed Posts: 237
    ddraver said:

I can't say I watch every one but the rate of improvement from J-Pow is pretty rapid though so I have faith he'll turn into a pretty decent commentator

Just watched a replay of the Women'd World Cup race when I was on the turbo today. A cracking blooper by J-Pow when he commented about one of the rider's Mums shouting encouragement from the sidelines in Spanish.
    He commented that

"It's nice to hear as you don't often hear people speaking Spanish over here in Europe"

:D

Other than that it was another good race. Looking forward to the return after the Jnauary break.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,341
    MvdP is in a league of his own.

I have to admire Pidcock mixing it with the best at the age of 21 and with a much smaller stature than most of his peers.

Will the World Cyclo cross champs. be based on team ranking?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,111
    pinno said:

Will the World Cyclo cross champs. be based on team ranking?

World Cup rankings I believe.

• webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Are any of the National Championships going ahead, there are quite a few countries listed on the UCI calendar. Although there is no Dutch or British one on there.
  • andyrac
    Czech Rep today, France, Denmark, Swiss, Belgium, Italy tomorrow....
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • gsk82
    edited January 2021
    andyrac said:

National champions failing drug tests?
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • webboo
    gsk82 said:

andyrac said:

National champions failing did tests?
    I don’t get what you have posted, can you clarify.
  • andyrac
    Cyclocross24 on Twitter is a good resource for info on which races are taking place.
  • gsk82
    webboo said:

gsk82 said:

andyrac said:

National champions failing did tests?
    I don’t get what you have posted, can you clarify.
    It would help if I could spell. Either way it wasn't funny. Did=drug
  • andyrac
    I don't know why national championship races are geoblocked; it makes no sense....GCN/Eurosport don't seem to have any of them. Fortunately, there are ways to watch some of them.
  • Looking at some of the pictures from what claims to be the Polish Nats, they'll still be finding the bodies in July...

• m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,342
    edited January 2021
    Poland needs to drain the swamp...
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • andyrac
    I'd say that is unraceable. I'd like to know what the criteria is for calling a CX race off - as there comes a time when it become almost a farce/circus.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    WvA beating MvdP the weekend before the World Champs suggests normal service will be resumed in the CX world next weekend.

ie MvdP wins everything except the one race of the year that really matters
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,111
    ddraver said:

WvA beating MvdP the weekend before the World Champs suggests normal service will be resumed in the CX world next weekend.

ie MvdP wins everything except the one race of the year that really matters

To be fair to MVDP, he did puncture at possibly the worst possible time, meaning he had to do the minute long road then cobbled steep climb on a flat rear tyre. He twice almost closed the gap to WVA, so the form is clearly there.
  • webboo
    Also he won on Saturday on flatter course which might be more like the worlds course as I can’t imagine there are many hills in Ostend.
  • andyrac
    Looks like another pretty average Worlds course; mainly flat, with the only climbs on bridges. The only difference this year is the sand sections. Both Bogense and Dubendorf were pretty poor for worlds courses.
    Would love to see courses like Namur/ Gavere hosting the worlds.....
  • andyrac
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/55815051

BBC website, iPlayer, Red button will have both Elite races. Most probably the UCI feed, as opposed to the GCN/Eurosport commentary, if you find that annoying.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,341
    andyrac said:

BBC website, iPlayer, Red button will have both Elite races. Most probably the UCI feed, as opposed to the GCN/Eurosport commentary, if you find that annoying.

That's good to know 'cos the Eurosport commentary sometimes lacks.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • crossed
    crossed Posts: 237
    pinno said:

andyrac said:

That's good to know 'cos the Eurosport commentary sometimes lacks.
    I've thought the opposite this year, found the Eurosport commentary to be really good.

Hopefully there's going to be some good racing this weekend, I'm a little pissed off though as we were going to head over there to spectate but Covid stopped that!
  • andyrac
    They didn't go to the Richie Benaud school of commentary; were less is more/ let the pictures tell the story.
  • ddraver
    Girls about to start!

Some comedy moments in the Boys U23.

Alvarado the favourite but a few jokers from other disciplines on the second and third rows
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver
    edited January 2021
    Carnage on the first corner for Cant and Alvarado 😁

Evie Richards into 1st!

Team NL swarm to the front tho into the sand

Evie notably not so good in the sand. Guess this is something you have to be BeNeLux to understand (well... not Lux)

Halfway through the lap and the top 10 are all separated by at least 10 each seconds already! NL top 5 to Richards

Alverado starting to pull back some time

Lap 1
    Betsema
    Brand
    Worst
    Alvarado
    Kestelijn
    Richards

all about 5s from each other
    - @ddraver
  • inseine