First time build up from the frameset: Scott Team CR1

Comments

• MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    masjer said:

MF, you can't just use any front derailleur with any shifter as you stated earlier. Your combo of 8000 shifters with a 6700 front derailleur isn't even recommended as compatible!
    Your opinion of ultegra only being suitable for a winter bike is bonkers! How can it be great in winter but "cacky for anything serious"

#largepinchofsalt

yes you can. they aren't going to recommend it because they can punt some more units out to clubbies who believe the hype.

Its cacky for anything serious because its, well, not very good tbh.

#youcanyouknow
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Just because it doesn't meet the hype, it doesn;t mean it's shite though right?
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,558
    Wrong, not compatible.
    Other (rational) Ulterga opinions exist-/bikeradar.com/reviews/components/groupsets/groupset-road/shimano-ultegra-r8000-groupset-review/
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,323
    edited December 2020
    @MF: Buy some decent (compatible) bits you tight basket.

Look what you have caused.

#allMF'sfault
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • But I have a Claris triple fd, if I'm too tight to spend £20 or whatever on a double fd, will that be ok too?
    Or should I fvckoff?

#clariscvnt
  • MattFalle
    edited December 2020
    Thing is, Ultegra is a half way house. Its neither one nor another. Its not a sheep or a horse.

Its like the brother in the band the Corrs.

4 of them right - lets call them, for arguments sake, 105, Ultegra, Force and Chorus.

105 is Sharon, the workhorse, the one you can rely on. Cheap, looks alright bit heavy but will work forever. That is one of the sisters.

The other two sisters, Andrea and Caroline are Force and Chorus - far, far prettier, lighter, work better, more desirable, better materials, everything about them is far better than Ultegra. Slightly more expensive but you pay for quality.
    Nothing good in life is cheap. People look at Force and Chorus with envy.

The brother Jim is Ultegra - its not the heaviest, but its not the lightest.

Its not made of the worst stuff, but its not made of the best stuff.

Some say its too good for communting but its deffo not a race g/set. Its a winter training g/s.

Its not ugly but its not pretty. You can take it down the pub but the bar maid will always catch your eye.

Its not really cheap but its no way expensive.

Its meh. A halfway house. Plasticky, bulky, a tad "oh, is that it?" Something that has been devised by a marketing department and then sold to those who believe the hype, that think it has cache, that think its special because they have been told its so. The talk of tbe clubhouse.

When was the last time someone got excited about Ultegra? Its not something you aspire to really, is it? Yeah, count me in for double shifts so I can get that groovy not very good fiddly to set up front mech.

You want a race groupset, a proper light, beautiful, sweeet, special groupset that makes you ache for it from your loins, that evokes passion, want, desire, envy, the Kari Byron of groupsets, something that you walk into the garage, see it on your bike and go "phukk, yeah, thats worth going to work for" then you buy SR 12 speed.

You want a groupset that is lighter, better, has won GTs and one days - you buy Red. Lets call that one TDNFNATN.

A GT winning g/s that you don't mind smashing up - D/A.

A G/S that the best thing it has ever done is compete in the local Wednesday night 10 TT and a Thursday night crit in Newport Pagnell - you buy Ultegra.

Ultegra - it won't get you laid but it will get you home.
  • MattFalle
    masjer said:
    incorrect.

try it. it works fine.

they also say that the brakes don't they do.

They say Red 10 mech and shifters don't work with Record 11 cassettes but it does.

Don't follow the marketing, forge your own way my friend. Experiment, try, add to the recipe.

#MaryBerry
  • MattFalle
    pinno said:

@MF: Buy some decent (compatible) bits you tight basket.

Look what you have caused.

#allMF'sfault

I have which is why the S3 is all Red because Red is far, far better.

#maketheleap
  • MattFalle said:

Thing is, Ultegra is a half way house. Its neither one nor another. Its not a sheep or a horse.

4 of them right - lets call them, for arguments sake, 105, Ultegra, Force and Chorus.

105 is the workhorse, the one you can rely on. Cheap, looks alright bit heavy but will work forever. That is one of the sisters.

The other two sisters are Force and Chorus - far, far prettier, lighter, work better, more desirable, better materials, everything about them is far better than Ultegra. Slightly more expensive but you pay for quality.

The brother is Ultegra - its not the heaviest, but its not the lightest.

Some say its too good for communting but its deffo not a race g/set. Its a winter training g/s.

Its not ugly but its not pretty. You can take it down the pub but the bar maid will always catch your eye.

Its meh. A halfway house. Plasticky, bulky, a tad "oh, is that it?" Something that has been devised by a marketing department and then sold to those who believe the hype, that think it has cache, that think its special because they have been told its so. The talk of tbe clubhouse.

When was the last time someone got excited about Ultegra? Its not something you aspire to really, is it? Yeah, count me in for double shifts so I can get that groovy not very good fiddly to set up front mech.

You want a race groupset, a proper light, beautiful, sweeet, special groupset that makes you ache for it from your loins, that evokes passion, want, desire, envy, the Kari Byron of groupsets, something that you walk into the garage, see it on your bike and go "phukk, yeah, thats worth going to work for" then you buy SR 12 speed.

You want a groupset that is lighter, better, has won GTs and one days - you buy Red. Lets call that one TDNFNATN.

A G/S that the best thing it has ever done is compete in the local Wednesday night 10 TT and a Thursday night crit in Newport Pagnell - you buy Ultegra.

There was more tiagra on show at the commonwealth games than there was ultegra.
  • MattFalle

But I have a Claris triple fd, if I'm too tight to spend £20 or whatever on a double fd, will that be ok too?
    Or should I fvckoff?

#clariscvnt

Not really because its a triple, not a double. It'll work but be really fiddly and not work that well tbh.

You may as well spend £15 on a 105 one and the spare fiver on some beer and pork scratchings.

#piggyfeet
  • MattFalle

MattFalle said:

105 is the workhorse, the one you can rely on. Cheap, looks alright bit heavy but will work forever. That is one of the sisters.

The other two sisters are Force and Chorus - far, far prettier, lighter, work better, more desirable, better materials, everything about them is far better than Ultegra. Slightly more expensive but you pay for quality.

There was more tiagra on show at the commonwealth games than there was ultegra.
    This speaks volumes in itself - if ladies and gents who are Commonwealth level - and therefore far, far better than 95%of clubbies - are shunning the Jim of groupsets on an international stage that could lead to an Olympic or PRO future it can't really be that great can it, no matter what Neville the road captain says on a Sunday morning club run in matching clothes before he heads off to point out potholes everyone knows about amd shout out about oncoming cars everyone csn see.

#stickwithAndrea,notJim
  • MattFalle said:

But I have a Claris triple fd, if I'm too tight to spend £20 or whatever on a double fd, will that be ok too?
    Or should I fvckoff?

#clariscvnt

Not really because its a triple, not a double. It'll work but be really fiddly and not work that well tbh.

You may as well spend £15 on a 105 one and the spare fiver on some beer and pork scratchings.

#piggyfeet
    Thank you for the wise words.
    #lemonyumyums
  • MattFalle
    elbowloh said:

Just because it doesn't meet the hype, it doesn;t mean it's shite though right?

Oh agree its not shite, its just not great. It deffo doesn't merit the hype or marketing pr the clubbie adulation. Its like wanting a curry and having a korma and a plain naan.

#notgreatbutnotbadjustabitbland
  • MattFalle

MattFalle said:

Or should I fvckoff?

#clariscvnt

#piggyfeet
    #lemonyumyums
    No problem at all - pleasure to help any time.

#TDKBOMB
  • MattFalle said:

MattFalle said:

Or should I fvckoff?

#clariscvnt

#piggyfeet
    #lemonyumyums
    No problem at all - pleasure to help any time.

#TDKBOMB
    #superavilyn
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,145
    masjer said:

MF, you can't just use any front derailleur with any shifter as you stated earlier. Your combo of 8000 shifters with a 6700 front derailleur isn't even recommended as compatible!

He only ever rides in the big ring, so as long as he sets the limit screws right it doesn't matter.
  • masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,558
    Oh that explains it.
    Personally I've never been excited by the aesthetics of bicycle groupsets. Function over form. If my bike stops well enough, changes gear properly, I'm happy riding.
    To me it's like staring at a car gearbox and calipers and getting the horn.
  • MattFalle

masjer said:

He only ever rides in the big ring, so as long as he sets the limit screws right it doesn't matter.
    Well its all about souplesse isn't it - get in your gear range, position sorted and smoooooth it through.

None of this up down up down up down up front down back down front up front.

Its something only some people can get, bizarrely the average clubbie seems to struggle with it. Watch them and its like watching a cat in a chip shop.

#chipshop
  • MattFalle
    masjer said:

Oh that explains it.
    Personally I've never been excited by the aesthetics of bicycle groupsets. Function over form. If my bike stops well enough, changes gear properly, I'm happy riding.
    To me it's like staring at a car gearbox and calipers and getting the horn.

Thing is though, Ultegra doesn't ecen work as well as Force or Chorus or, as seen in the evidence at the Commonwealths, Tiagra.

As MF said, its just a bit bland.

#oh.really?
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    Please let it stop....

#Illeism
  • reaperactual
    reaperactual Posts: 1,185
    edited December 2020
    The game changer of front derailleurs is no front derailleur.

#onebyrevolution
  • MattFalle
    edited December 2020
    flasher said:

Please let it stop....

#Illeism

Well, if you want it to stop MF wouldn't really recommend Ultegra brakes either - D/A are the way to go (alongside SR and the older Red), 105 is better as well but with that weight penalty offset by the fact they are cheaper.

#skids
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,145
    MattFalle said:

flasher said:

Please let it stop....

#Illeism

Well, if you want it to stop MF wouldn't really recommend Ultegea brakes either - D/A are the way to go (alongside SR and the older Red), 105 is better as well but with that weight penalty offset by the fact they are cheaper.

#skids
    Disc or rim version?
  • MattFalle
    edited December 2020

A GT winning g/s that you don't mind smashing up - D/A. TDSD

Ultegra - it won't get you laid but it will get you home
  • MattFalle
    edited December 2020

MattFalle said:

flasher said:

Please let it stop....

#Illeism

Well, if you want it to stop MF wouldn't really recommend Ultegea brakes either - D/A are the way to go (alongside SR and the older Red), 105 is better as well but with that weight penalty offset by the fact they are cheaper.

#skids
    Disc or rim version?
    MF says rim. MF says discs aren't needed on the road as proven by that dude who win that big race in France in the summer when his whole team had rim brakes.

MF says, and this is backed up by the DS' of the team that won that race in France in the summer that they're the answer to a problem that doesn't exist on the road and something else for bike retailers to sell to clubbies.

#skidsinallweathers
  • joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    edited December 2020
    If you don't mind a mash up groupset then a stiff crank + Red shifters with Force front/rear mechs and 105/Ultegra/Dura Ace brakes works very nicely and with some good Ebay skills can be bought for not too much money. I was running this in the past, i used a FSA K Force crank I had lying around.

Sorry MF but SRAM rim brakes just aren't as good as the latest Shimano ones but everything else is better.
  • MattFalle
    edited December 2020

If you don't mind a mash up groupset then a stiff crank + Red shifters with Force front/rear mechs and 105/Ultegra/Dura Ace brakes works very nicely and with some good Ebay skills can be bought for not too much money. I was running this in the past, i used a FSA K Force crank I had lying around.

Sorry MF but SRAM rim brakes just aren't as good as the latest Shimano ones but everything else is better.

MF is a big, big fan of your set up - props and kudos to you for using knowledge, experience and trial and error to get the best set up and just not plumping for what the clubbies and the people on Cycling Plus and GCN who are paid to tell you that Ultegra is good tell you to.

He will give you this one - he still says that the older Red brakes are far better than the aero ones which is why he runs the older ones and not the aero ones.

If you want to go for Shimano brakes then 105 or D/A.

MF is, much like you, a big fan of those FSA cranks as well - far better than Ultegra, easier to get spare chainrings, look far nicer.

#mix'n'match
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    MattFalle said:

Unfortunately, this analogy, although actually quite funny, falls down at the first hurdle, because the brother is quite clearly a man. He is not a halfway house or neither one nor another.

Also, the singer is clearly a step (or many steps) above all the others.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • MattFalle
    edited December 2020
    Doesn't stop Ultegra being a bit meh though.... The unthinking person's groupset.

Yes - Andrea (or Andi as she and MF refer to her) always was the better one. Caroline has a mega sense of humour though. Jim (the brother) takes himself a bit too seriously, a bit like a clubbie with a new box of Ultegra.
  • joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    edited December 2020
    MattFalle said:

Doesn't stop Ultegra being a bit meh though.... The unthinking person's groupset.

Yes - Andrea (or Andi as she and MF refer to her) always was the better one. Caroline has a mega sense of humour though. Jim (the brother) takes himself a bit too seriously, a bit like a clubbie with a new box of Ultegra.

I'd say being a full on tin foil hat wearer is a bit more than Jim just taking himself a bit too seriously, he's beyond the levels of a regular clubbie!

Jim's more like the Cat 4 racer on the 10 grand bike.