Bike Prices

Comments

• Fook!
    No!
    Last time I spent more than £10k on a bike it had Ducati written on the tank.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,805
    webboo said:

I can believe these however in the past you would have made these into one 120 k ride. However it’s odd that you finished the bottom ride at 8:56 and you have no front lights on your bike.
    Next you will posting a picture of a Lotus 7 next to a plane.

Don't wish to spoil your fun but Strava logs my rides by the start time, not the finish.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • brundonbianchi
    brundonbianchi Posts: 689
    edited November 2020
    webboo said:

I can believe these however in the past you would have made these into one 120 k ride. However it’s odd that you finished the bottom ride at 8:56 and you have no front lights on your bike.

If you look really carefully you’ll see a little yellow thing on the bars. That’s a light.

And here’s a longer one I did in the summer.

• Cargobike said:

webboo said:

P.S. that bike still looks too small. All seat post and spacers.

Farkin 'ell, you should see my bike, way more seatpost and spacers, even in an XXL frame to fit my lanky body.
    People are different sizes, "who'd a thought"?
    Yeah, it’s funny that ;)

• pblakeney said:

webboo said:

Don't wish to spoil your fun but Strava logs my rides by the start time, not the finish.
    Yep, that’s how it works.
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,846
    edited November 2020
    I suspect we will see some eye watering prike hikes for a lot of cycling gear (and a lot of other luxeries we take for granted) after Jan 1st 2021... If you are pondering a big purchase, get it now if you can!
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • Demand for the product has gone up; there is some rigidity in supply. Plus the exchange rate to most currencies has tanked. No great surprise prices are up this year and earlier. (Economics 101) The rest of it is brands inflating their prices and suckers paying. Go to Decathlon, Ribble etc and you can still get the bike you 'need' for reasonable money. If you want to use your bike as a status signifier then it makes no sense to complain about it. The only people who need bikes that cost 10 or even 5k are likely to have them provided by their teams.
  • bmxboy10
    bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
    My original comment was not about the price of super bikes or bespoke bikes. I was referring to more run of the mill yet aspirational bikes for beginners or intermediate riders like an Ultegra equipped Spesh or Dale etc. These bikes are simply not worth £2500 plus. I also agree this year may be the reason the prices are up but a 10% increase has been going on year on year for the last 10 years with no clear reason why hence my point that soon beginners will be priced out of the market unless you want to ride a Triban of Halfords jobbie made of crappy aluminium. It also reduces the ability for beginners to upgrade. The original R2W schemes were perfect and funnily enough the the sort of bikes I am referring to were then priced according to the R2W spend cap. Makes you think...
  • I wouldn't blame the exchange rate, when I go back to Italy, I am always staggered by the price of bikes in Euros too.
    left the forum March 2023
  • Well the GBP:EUR exchange rate fell from around 1.4 at thr end of 2015 to around 1.1 now. The bike I bought from Decathlon at that time cost £1050, the equivalent now costs £1300. So potentially the exchange rate can explain all of that. Why would they allow their margin to fall that much? Ofc it's only 'crappy aluminium' so perhaps that doesn't count? After all it's not for those who aspire to own a bike that they don't need, but the poor things can no longer afford.
  • rwoofer
    rwoofer Posts: 222
    Have to agree with the OP the prices just keep on rising. I bought my first road bike in Jan 2017, a BMC GF02, all carbon frame and forks and Tiagra groupset. Cost me £700 under R2W. With today's bike prices I would have been put off road biking altogether.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,694
    bmxboy10 said:

...unless you want to ride a Triban of Halfords jobbie made of crappy aluminium...

Oi. Not all of us need the expensive brand logo to enjoy their bikes. My bestie roadie is a Synapse, like, and because I want to do gravel riding, back in September I got a Boardman ADV through Halfords, v good vfm and it's being a good ride on the rough and muddy stuff even if the logo ain't what's seen on the telly on the grand tours.
  • bmxboy10
    orraloon said:

bmxboy10 said:

...unless you want to ride a Triban of Halfords jobbie made of crappy aluminium...

Oi. Not all of us need the expensive brand logo to enjoy their bikes. My bestie roadie is a Synapse, like, and because I want to do gravel riding, back in September I got a Boardman ADV through Halfords, v good vfm and it's being a good ride on the rough and muddy stuff even if the logo ain't what's seen on the telly on the grand tours.
    Ok but I think you have missed my point...
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,694
    (Timing coincidence) I may not have been entirely serious in like wot I posted 😊
  • Hence also why spray-shops are seemingly charging a fortune (and have 3 months min waiting lists), as more ppl are waking-up to the fact they can have a "new", frame (albeit in looks), by refreshing the paint scheme.

Out of all my bikes, my favourite is still the old 2014 Gen 1 Scott Foil. Sure, it's looking a little dated now paint wise, so I'm considering a £300 frame refresh rather than a £2k replacement. Or.... I might bite the bullet and spray it myself :s
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Don't forget about the cycle to work scheme limits. The £1000 limit meant many brands had good options at that price point. With the C2W limit now significantly higher, so are the beginner bikes.

It's a bit like when petrol used to be less than £1 a litre and no one would go above that price because it was taboo. Once that limit broke we saw prices jump....

...or like when the 4 minute barrier was broken for the mile.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • Our C2W has gone up from £1k to £3k, but I attribute that more to the increase in popularity of e-bikes which more actual commuters seem to be taking up...
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,467

Hence also why spray-shops are seemingly charging a fortune (and have 3 months min waiting lists), as more ppl are waking-up to the fact they can have a "new", frame (albeit in looks), by refreshing the paint scheme.

Out of all my bikes, my favourite is still the old 2014 Gen 1 Scott Foil. Sure, it's looking a little dated now paint wise, so I'm considering a £300 frame refresh rather than a £2k replacement. Or.... I might bite the bullet and spray it myself :s

Yup, that's the approach I'm taking - my 2013 Foil Team Issue is getting a very bling and nicely contemporary full custom paint job. Just be prepared to wait, the good paint shops have massive backlogs right now..

It's not just the prices that are putting people off new bikes and frames, it's the fact that you are getting less for more. You almost can't have rim brakes now and most of the supposed advances in the last few years have just made bikes heavier and slower. Groupsets are heavier and have more restricted gearing options, 28mm tubeless tyres make bikes slower on most surfaces and discs add weight and involve other compromises. Just like press fit BBs, it's all about charging more for something that is cheaper to produce but can be marketed as superior. Now we are starting to see mega-fat wheels with hookless, tubeless-only, disc-only rims - I have little doubt that's all about cost savings (much cheaper to mass produce carbon wheels that have straight, hookless rims and that don't need to withstand braking forces).
  • bmxboy10
    neeb said:

Hence also why spray-shops are seemingly charging a fortune (and have 3 months min waiting lists), as more ppl are waking-up to the fact they can have a "new", frame (albeit in looks), by refreshing the paint scheme.

Yup, that's the approach I'm taking - my 2013 Foil Team Issue is getting a very bling and nicely contemporary full custom paint job. Just be prepared to wait, the good paint shops have massive backlogs right now..

It's not just the prices that are putting people off new bikes and frames, it's the fact that you are getting less for more. You almost can't have rim brakes now and most of the supposed advances in the last few years have just made bikes heavier and slower. Groupsets are heavier and have more restricted gearing options, 28mm tubeless tyres make bikes slower on most surfaces and discs add weight and involve other compromises. Just like press fit BBs, it's all about charging more for something that is cheaper to produce but can be marketed as superior. Now we are starting to see mega-fat wheels with hookless, tubeless-only, disc-only rims - I have little doubt that's all about cost savings (much cheaper to mass produce carbon wheels that have straight, hookless rims and that don't need to withstand braking forces).
    Totally agree. I have the previous generation Supersix DA that cost me just over £2.2k in the sale 18 months ago and is as light as a feather. The new sportive/endurance bikes in the same price bracket are all Disc and have tiagra or 105 at best and all weigh an absolute ton which translates to a rubbish ride IMO and most are not available for months (if you are lucky). Ive decided to keep what ive got.
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    With all this talk about the hike in prices I thought I'd revisit the price of the Rose X-Lite Four 105 I bought back in October 2018. I went for the rim braked version and used their customise option at that time to select a shorter stem and also to request the brake set-up to be UK format (Right for front/Left for rear) rather than EU. Total price then was £1942

Current price of the above model is Euro2199 - which equates to £1978 at today's exchange rate.

https://www.rosebikes.com/rose-x-lite-four-105-2674412?product_shape=UD-Carbon/Piano-Black/Pure-White&article_size=55cm

So at least Rose can't be accused of price gouging. And they still offer rim braked versions of all their models which should suit those who prefer to avoid joining the disc only tribe.

One unpalatable caveat is that Rose have recently decided to stop supplying bikes to the UK market, due to (they claim) issues with having to meet the brake convention standard. That introduces too much of a problem with their production processes/costs. Not sure I accept that as a valid reason but I suppose it doesn't matter what I think.

I also note that they have removed the customisation options from their current offerings so maybe there is a clue there to an overall streamlining in the process.

I'm sure if you really want to get your hands on a Rose there will be purchasing routes via the EU that you can access.

I'm very happy with my purchase - it's definitely a keeper.
  • neeb said:

I got a quote recently from a well known spray shop. The quote was for stripping a f&f and leaving bare UD with gloss lacquer. No paint (unless required in "messy", joint areas). £800...
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,805

neeb said:

I got a quote recently from a well known spray shop. The quote was for stripping a f&f and leaving bare UD with gloss lacquer. No paint (unless required in "messy", joint areas). £800...
    That is scary!
    I got a quote 3 years ago for a full strip/paint/decal/lacquer. £250.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,467
    Seems that fully stripping (as opposed to just sanding back a bit and respraying) is a very labour intensive activity so maybe that explains the high cost?
  • neeb said:

Seems that fully stripping (as opposed to just sanding back a bit and respraying) is a very labour intensive activity so maybe that explains the high cost?

Yes, but the fact I asked for exactly the same quote for the same f&f about 12-18 months ago, and it was IRO £400 shows pretty much everyone's "at it". With the right tools, environment and experience, it doesn't take that long to strip a frame back.
  • (oh, and that previous quote included paint! The £800 wasn't even for paint!)
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382

neeb said:

That is the sort of quote you give when you neither need or want the job.

I take it you’re not going ahead with the £800 quote then. Tell me if they had come back with another price, say £400 would you have defiantly gone ahead with the work?
    Also what do you mean by f&f?
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Frame and fork.
  • webboo said:

Frame and fork.

Thank you

I take it you’re not going ahead with the £800 quote then. Tell me if they had come back with another price, say £400 would you have defiantly gone ahead with the work?
    Also what do you mean by f&f?
    Considering one of my other bikes is a Ridley Helium SLX that I managed to get f&f for £900 brand-new, no- I won't be paying someone nearly the same amount to strip and lacquer my older frame n forks...

To be honest, I think even £400 would be taking the proverbial for a strip n' lacquer. If it was £400 for paint as well, that's more reasonable and more akin to the quote/s I was getting B.C.