Bike Prices

13»

Comments

• In the end, I upgraded bits and bobs of my current bike, bringing it down to 7.5 kg from nearly 9... total cost less that 500 pounds.

That's impressive, can I ask how you achieved such a large weight saving so cheaply?
  • bmxboy10
    bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
    15% increase on Trek bikes overnight. WTF!
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,773
    edited January 2021
    Trek still thinks the UK is in Europe.
    Do they ship to Europe (say Germany) then transfer to the UK?
    #bluepassports
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313
    bmxboy10 said:

What? Apple did the same a few years ago when there was a temporary exchange rate issue. They never went back. Gauge gauge.

• A lot of Brexit related issues are starting up now. Price instability, and supply chain borkage are the most evident. I’m sure there will be more to follow, when the full effects of the pandemic feed through.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    edited January 2021

neeb said:

Hence also why spray-shops are seemingly charging a fortune (and have 3 months min waiting lists), as more ppl are waking-up to the fact they can have a "new", frame (albeit in looks), by refreshing the paint scheme.

Out of all my bikes, my favourite is still the old 2014 Gen 1 Scott Foil. Sure, it's looking a little dated now paint wise, so I'm considering a £300 frame refresh rather than a £2k replacement. Or.... I might bite the bullet and spray it myself :s

Yup, that's the approach I'm taking - my 2013 Foil Team Issue is getting a very bling and nicely contemporary full custom paint job. Just be prepared to wait, the good paint shops have massive backlogs right now..

It's not just the prices that are putting people off new bikes and frames, it's the fact that you are getting less for more. You almost can't have rim brakes now and most of the supposed advances in the last few years have just made bikes heavier and slower. Groupsets are heavier and have more restricted gearing options, 28mm tubeless tyres make bikes slower on most surfaces and discs add weight and involve other compromises. Just like press fit BBs, it's all about charging more for something that is cheaper to produce but can be marketed as superior. Now we are starting to see mega-fat wheels with hookless, tubeless-only, disc-only rims - I have little doubt that's all about cost savings (much cheaper to mass produce carbon wheels that have straight, hookless rims and that don't need to withstand braking forces).
    I got a quote recently from a well known spray shop. The quote was for stripping a f&f and leaving bare UD with gloss lacquer. No paint (unless required in "messy", joint areas). £800...
    they are taking the pissss completely.

MF did this during the March lockdown to his Madone.

Sand paper - probs a tenner all in.

2x cans of 2Pak lacquer - £20

beer to stave off boredom: £17,341

they are having the the ultimate bubble. total rip off.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • MattFalle

• MattFalle
    neeb said:

Seems that fully stripping (as opposed to just sanding back a bit and respraying) is a very labour intensive activity so maybe that explains the high cost?

its not. its just boring. the sort of thing they give to the apprentice/saturday boy.

• neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,467
    MattFalle said:

neeb said:

Seems that fully stripping (as opposed to just sanding back a bit and respraying) is a very labour intensive activity so maybe that explains the high cost?

its not. its just boring. the sort of thing they give to the apprentice/saturday boy.

Boring and takes a long time. So maybe labour extensive rather than labour intensive..
  • MattFalle
    get a mechanical sander on the job and it'll take 2 hours max max.

Or paint stripper it. 35 mins work.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    bmxboy10 said:

Not as if they were cheap as things were.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    Trek are potentially pricing themselves out of the market, an Emonda is now costing substantially more than the equivalent Canyon Ultimate or Giant TCR despite it not being any more 'boutique' or fancy.
  • david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313

A lot of Brexit related issues are starting up now. Price instability, and supply chain borkage are the most evident. I’m sure there will be more to follow, when the full effects of the pandemic feed through.

Buying a mass produced moulded carbon frame without a brand name on it is the way ahead.

I suspect this is less brexit more supply and demand. Interestingly were not seeing loads of bike shop owners driving round in new rangerovers.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    tbh, i've never been tempted by any the really big names, Trek, Giant, Specialized etc as too many people have them and i've prefer to ride something a little different.

Last bike i bought, i build myself for similar reasons...that plus costs.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • MattFalle
    Exactly as Joe says above - over the past couple of copies of Cyclist mag I’ve looked at a couple of Treks, thought “oh that looks alright-ish for a Trek” and then looked at the price and gone “how much?...For a Trek with Ultegra? Are they having a laugh, see?”

But people keep on buying this stuff so they’re not going to lower their prices.

It’s the same across the board tbh - people now think it’s acceptable to get mugged for £150 for a pair of shorts....
  • MattFalle
    If someone is good at this sort of thing, do a search for MF’s “how much? Are you having a laugh?” Thread from about 18 months ago - all this was discussed in there.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    MattFalle said:

Exactly as Joe says above - over the past couple of copies of Cyclist mag I’ve looked at a couple of Treks, thought “oh that looks alright-ish for a Trek” and then looked at the price and gone “how much?...For a Trek with Ultegra? Are they having a laugh, see?”

But people keep on buying this stuff so they’re not going to lower their prices.

It’s the same across the board tbh - people now think it’s acceptable to get mugged for £150 for a pair of shorts....

Indeed. I think the most I've paid for bibs is about £70 and even then i did so grudgingly. Cycling gear is so expensive.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    edited January 2021
    I don't mind buying £150 shorts but it'd have to be in a 50% off sale.

Do Treks sell that well in the UK anyway? My impression is that for such a big brand there aren't huge numbers about these days - certainly not like Cannondale, Specialized etc.

[Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • MattFalle

I don't mind buying £150 shorts but it'd have to be in a 50% off sale.

Do Treks sell that well in the UK anyway? My impression is that for such a big brand there aren't huge numbers about these days - certainly not like Cannondale, Specialized etc.

Clubbies like them so one must suppose there is a market for them.

• MattFalle
    elbowloh said:

MattFalle said:

Indeed. I think the most I've paid for bibs is about £70 and even then i did so grudgingly. Cycling gear is so expensive.
    Clubbies, dentists and accountants. Stable market of hype believers and overpayers.