Other sports worth following

Comments

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,631

Solid win for England there.

a remarkable days play
    Given that 10 players and extras failed to score the target in the first innings, I wasn't very confident, but I was pleasantly surprised.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    edited January 2021
    I heard that Butler is only playing the first test in India also?

Good news that New Zealand are coming over in June for a couple of tests. Although you would think that the newly "crowned" number 1 ranked test team would warrant a longer series, maybe in normal times they would?
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • TheBigBean
    I think they should all be at least three. Another 8 days just can't matter that much.
  • I think they should all be at least three. Another 8 days just can't matter that much.

in normal circumstances the problem could be selling tickets but now they should keep playing to give cash to the poorer cricket boards
  • TheBigBean

I think they should all be at least three. Another 8 days just can't matter that much.

in normal circumstances the problem could be selling tickets but now they should keep playing to give cash to the poorer cricket boards
    Most countries don't really sell out though. I can see that if England had eight tests and three of those were Bangladesh, then ticket sales might drop a bit, but then county cricket happens all the time and no one watches that.
  • joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333

It's TV which will be determining who we play and how often, that's why there's a 5 match home series against India is taking place this summer. The 2 match series against New Zealand should be longer and will probably be great to watch but just doesn't command the same amount of interest from broadcasters.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190

morstar said:

NFL semi finals (not what they’re actually called) this evening.

Quite a solid final 4. Should be competitive.

Damned with faint praise.

Assuming players stay fit you have the two best young quarterbacks against each other in one game, two of the best veterans in the game against each other in the other leading to a new vs old Super Bowl.

I really don’t think it could be set up much better. As game 1 is showing at the end of Q2.
    As it is at halftime I can't see Green Bay winning this, unless they sort their cornerbacks out and get a bit faster and not take so much time off the clock on every drive.
    There you go.
    Was a good competitive encounter was my point. Not predicting the winner.

Packers dropped away and came back very well. Was an exciting game. A bizarre field goal stopped it potentially being level with minutes to go.

• I think they should all be at least three. Another 8 days just can't matter that much.

Most countries don't really sell out though. I can see that if England had eight tests and three of those were Bangladesh, then ticket sales might drop a bit, but then county cricket happens all the time and no one watches that.
    they have a convoluted bidding system to host Test matches so outside of London the hosts could be looking at a substantial loss.

I am sure they said on the radio that England are playing 17 test matches this year.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,729
    morstar said:

morstar said:

NFL semi finals (not what they’re actually called) this evening.

Quite a solid final 4. Should be competitive.

Damned with faint praise.

Assuming players stay fit you have the two best young quarterbacks against each other in one game, two of the best veterans in the game against each other in the other leading to a new vs old Super Bowl.

I really don’t think it could be set up much better. As game 1 is showing at the end of Q2.
    As it is at halftime I can't see Green Bay winning this, unless they sort their cornerbacks out and get a bit faster and not take so much time off the clock on every drive.
    There you go.
    Was a good competitive encounter was my point. Not predicting the winner.

Packers dropped away and came back very well. Was an exciting game. A bizarre field goal stopped it potentially being level with minutes to go.

Yeah though I don’t think the likelihood of getting the TD was that high anyway
  • elbowloh

they have a convoluted bidding system to host Test matches so outside of London the hosts could be looking at a substantial loss.

I am sure they said on the radio that England are playing 17 test matches this year.
    I think the idea is that the "big" nations are trying to help out the smaller ones. Essentially no TV company is going to pay for coverage unless one of the teams in the match is England, India or Australia.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • TheBigBean

Yes, I did think after I wrote that that that if you give every test venue a test, the bid price might decline. Still, I have never liked that since it created the lifeless CEO pitch.

17 in a year is a good effort.

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    ddraver said:

Jean Le Cam doing an insane job in an ancient non foiling boat, but likely to lose a fair bit of ground in the coming days.

For the non sailors, this would be the equivalent of winning a Prologue on an MTB...

This dude - the tour on an MTB guy - has just finished 4th, a day behind the first to cross the line.

That's the sort of performance that rather over shadows the actual winner...

We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver said:

ddraver said:

Jean Le Cam doing an insane job in an ancient non foiling boat, but likely to lose a fair bit of ground in the coming days.

For the non sailors, this would be the equivalent of winning a Prologue on an MTB...

This dude - the tour on an MTB guy - has just finished 4th, a day behind the first to cross the line.

That's the sort of performance that rather over shadows the actual winner...

And a cool nickname

Le Roi
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,413
    Indoor athletics tomorrow afternoon. The very very lovely Dina Asher Smith returns.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    edited January 2021
    seanoconn said:

Indoor athletics tomorrow afternoon. The very very lovely Dina Asher Smith returns.

It's on the iPlayer and red button from 7pm this evening.
    The cyclo cross world champs are also on the red button btw.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • seanoconn

seanoconn said:

Can’t find the start time for cyclo cross this weekend. Any idea?
  • seanoconn said:

seanoconn said:

Can’t find the start time for cyclo cross this weekend. Any idea?
    Eurosport player schedule has it 2-05pm start for both the women, tomorrow and the men on Sunday.
    Finish of coverage 3-40pm for the women, 3-50pm the men.
  • seanoconn
    Cool, thanks 👍
  • elbowloh
    Sodding VAR in football. I hate it.

The negatives vastly outweigh any positives. Your can't celebrate goals because almost everyone gets checked to see if there is anything to rule it out.

It's a cliche, but I think it's just ruining the game.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • elbowloh said:

The negatives vastly outweigh any positives. Your can't celebrate goals because almost everyone gets checked to see if there is anything to rule it out.

They seem to have it pretty well sorted in American football with on the field officials, its quite rare they have to review. Unless that’s done quietly and quickly in the background.

Anyway the Masters (Darts) in on at the moment, worth watching and what you see is what you get ;)
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,931
    VAR works really well in both codes of rugby.
  • TheBigBean
    edited January 2021
    elbowloh said:

They've made a lot of obvious mistakes with it. For example, they need to restrict offside to the torso and introduce the equivalent of "umpire's call".

The goalkeeper should be allowed a foot or so off his line for a penalty.
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 2,921
    elbowloh said:

I feel like the implementation of VAR in football has been done to just try and prove the nay sayers correct.

Just make it for checking whether the ball is over the line, which can be done instantly.

• morstar

elbowloh said:

They seem to have it pretty well sorted in American football with on the field officials, its quite rare they have to review. Unless that’s done quietly and quickly in the background.

Anyway the Masters (Darts) in on at the moment, worth watching and what you see is what you get ;)
    With NFL, every scoring play is reviewed in New York. It happens seamlessly in the background and if it’s a tight call everyone awaits the verdict while it gets replayed from dozens of angles.
    Everybody can see how tight a call is due to the screens in the stadium. The screens will also be used by team coaches to decide whether to use one of their rights to challenge a decision.

What you tend to see is the on field officials are inclined to award the points to ensure it gets reviewed. If they claim a score hasn’t been made, the play won’t get automatically reviewed.

One significant difference between football and football (pun intended) is the break the plane rule. In NFL, the ball simply needs to break the plane of the goal line rather than the entire ball fully cross the line. It makes a significant difference in what counts as a scoring play.
  • morstar
    I find the refusal of football fans or governing bodies to evolve the rules odd.

US sports may not be to your taste, but they are continually evolving the rules to improve both competition and the product. In my opinion it works well.
    It is the same as the way the TDF evolves the parcour to improve the race.

Ball to hand hand balls boil my piss too.
  • seanoconn
    elbowloh said:

I’m all for VAR. I used to hate cheating/appealing ( still goes on but to a lesser extent) for everything and harassing the ref aggressively. Kids look up to these players and think it’s ok to behave like that. VAR has really helped that side of things. The ref reviews, the players accept and move on.
  • elbowloh
    morstar said:

I find the refusal of football fans or governing bodies to evolve the rules odd.

US sports may not be to your taste, but they are continually evolving the rules to improve both competition and the product. In my opinion it works well.
    It is the same as the way the TDF evolves the parcour to improve the race.

Ball to hand hand balls boil my piss too.

I think it's the changes that are the problem. They didn't need to evolve it.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Rugby and American football both stop / start all the time, which makes VAR less intrusive than football.

Talking of football, I notice that we haven't heard much about Chelsea on this forum for a while?
  • VAR works really well in both codes of rugby.

Except it is being over used thus causing endless delays in play.
    It's not as if there weren't enough already.
  • I don't watch much golf, so just seen Collin Morikawa's swing for the first time. It's a thing of beauty.