Giro 2020 - Stage 14: Conegliano – Valdobbiadene 34.1 km ITT *Spoilers*

124»

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,750

mrb123 said:

What I think of when you say McNulty

Surely...

I think the only golfist I could confidently identify is Tiger Woods...
    That's not him. 🤣
    I concur that I have no idea who the golfists is, other than presuming McNulty.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,613
    Mark William McNulty (born 24 March 1953) is an Irish/Zimbabwean professional golfer currently playing on the PGA Tour Champions. He was one of the leading players on the European Tour from the mid-1980s to the mid-1990s, and featured in the top 10 of the Official World Golf Ranking for 83 weeks from 1987 to 1992.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    pblakeney said:

mrb123 said:

What I think of when you say McNulty

Surely...

That's not him. 🤣
    I concur that I have no idea who the golfists is, other than presuming McNulty.
    Yeah I mean I assume this golfist is called McNulty. But when I hear McNulty, that ain't what I think of.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,150

I'd back myself to name at least 70, maybe 100 over the last 40 years, but I can't name a McNulty
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • mrb123
    RichN95. said:

I'd back myself to name at least 70, maybe 100 over the last 40 years, but I can't name a McNulty
    16 European Tour wins, tied 14th on the all time list with Sergio.

Maybe I'm just getting old...
  • RichN95.
    edited October 2020
    mrb123 said:

I'm thinking 'Mark' but with no conviction. South African perhaps? Or 'Zimbawean'?

Edit: Google says I'm right. But listing golfers I would never have said his name. The Wire though, top the list
  • mrb123
    RichN95. said:

mrb123 said:

I'm thinking 'Mark' but with no conviction. South African perhaps? Or 'Zimbawean'?
    Well done, see my post above (courtesy of Wikipedia)

• bobmcstuff
    I've just learnt that I have a lot of second rate tennisers and golfists mixed up. Obviously I know many of the famous tennis ball hitters. But the second rate ones may as well be golfers.

I was trying to name a second golfer apart from Tiger Woods and they all turned out to just be slightly shit tennis players.
  • RichN95.

I've just learnt that I have a lot of second rate tennisers and golfists mixed up. Obviously I know many of the famous tennis ball hitters. But the second rate ones may as well be golfers.

I was trying to name a second golfer apart from Tiger Woods and they all turned out to just be slightly shit tennis players.

Strangely I will always know that Mark Calcavecchia won the 1989 Open as I was in Florida at the time and I was surprised that LeMond winning the Tour the same day was higher on the sports news.
  • bobmcstuff
    At the time LeMond won the tour I was busy shitting myself and screaming because I was about 14 months old.

Rory Mcilroy! He's a golfer. He is in charge when they do that Europe v America competition. There you go.

I do know two golfers then. It's still unspeakably dull.
  • RichN95.
    edited October 2020
    RichN95. said:

I had a try and only got to 61

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,750
    mrb123 said:

Mark William McNulty (born 24 March 1953) is an Irish/Zimbabwean professional golfer currently playing on the PGA Tour Champions. He was one of the leading players on the European Tour from the mid-1980s to the mid-1990s, and featured in the top 10 of the Official World Golf Ranking for 83 weeks from 1987 to 1992.

Yeah. Still not interested, and preferred The Wire any day of the week.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • RichN95.
    pblakeney said:

mrb123 said:

Yeah. Still not interested, and preferred The Wire any day of the week.

Absolutely. Put the fu**ing song on

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOZHwWFjb30
  • RichN95.
    edited October 2020
    Saving this for latter use

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,490
    Well I knew the golfer but not the other bloke. The Wire is on a long list of programmes I keep thinking of trying to watch then realising there's simply too many to catch up along with the likes of Breaking Bad, Mad Men, Dexter, GoT etc.
  • RichN95.
    Pross said:

Well I knew the golfer but not the other bloke. The Wire is on a long list of programmes I keep thinking of trying to watch then realising there's simply too many to catch up along with the likes of Breaking Bad, Mad Men, Dexter, GoT etc.

Add The Shield on to that, a personal favourite. I'm on Peaky Blinders at the moment. But The Wire is peerless. It's the Merckx of TV shows. Others will go with Coppi's Sopranos, Hinault's West Wing or Armstrong's Breaking Bad
  • Pross
    Made it to the start of series, sorry "season", 3 of Peaky Blinders. The only thing I've successfully binge watched is Big Bang Theory, got through it all in a month after seeing odd episodes here and there.
  • Pross
    RichN95. said:

Pross said:

Add The Shield on to that, a personal favourite. I'm on Peaky Blinders at the moment. But The Wire is peerless. It's the Merckx of TV shows. Others will go with Coppi's Sopranos, Hinault's West Wing or Armstrong's Breaking Bad
    Shouldn't Peaky Blinders be matched with Dan Martin?
  • mrb123 said:

RichN95. said:

"Once Upon a Time at the Golf Course"?

See, this is what happens when the Ronde gets it's own thread.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,339
    Pross said:

Stop watching Dexter after the season with the trinity killer. Think it's season 3.

Game of Thrones, you'll have to unfortunately go through the heart break of one of the greatest and most fun TV shows to be ruined towards the end. Probably the last 2 seasons. It's hard to define a good cut off point to get out beforehand.

Breaking Bad is just epic if you can manage sitting through the slow episodes.

Mad Men is surprisingly funny and really well written. Not sure what the final point is though or if there is even one.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • bobmcstuff
    edited October 2020
    Mad Men is great. Probably my second favourite after The Wire though, probably the best TV show going. The Wire seasons are also pretty different to each other, so you can watch a season and leave it for a while. The first season is incredible, best series of TV going I reckon.

Game of Thrones is good early on but I probably wouldn't bother, the last series is a waste of time.

I couldn't get through Breaking Bad, I don't like all the cancer stuff, reminds me of my own mortality... (obviously getting killed by drug dealers or dragons doesn't count...)

Peaky Blinders is fun but it's hardly on a level with the other shows being mentioned is it.