Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,154
    Ganna 1.5 seconds faster than Dennis at checkpoint 1
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,860
    Ganna killing it?
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • The Ineos muscle men going head to head.
    New time to beat: 43'-06", 50 second to the good, from Dennis.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • mididoctors

A lot of good news coming out of the Giro today, according to our commentators.
    Namely:
    . over 500 extra tests have produced 0 positives.
    . Increased rider protection at the starts and finishes
    . Tifosi have shown improved behaviour
    . Safety improved along the route, including the km banners being moved of roads.
    . After Jonathan Vaughters expressed his desire to end this Giro, his entire team told him to flip off, they wanted to carry on!

Sharing breakfast buffet with tourists is no longer a issue I hope
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • RichN95.
    edited October 2020
    Big gaps at the finish

1. Dennis
    2. Cerny +0.50
    3. Campanaerts +1.40
    4. Gradek +2.08
    5. Brandle +2.17
    6. Dowsett +2.23

Ganna fastest by 5 seconds at checkpoint 2
  • Ganna setting new fastest times at each CP but not by much.
  • A lot of good news coming out of the Giro today, according to our commentators.
    Namely:
    . Safety improved along the route, including the km banners being moved of roads.
    . After Jonathan Vaughters expressed his desire to end this Giro, his entire team told him to flip off, they wanted to carry on!

That was one of those false rumours.

“This first hotel [in Sicily] we were at was one of these big beach hotels that had hundreds of people not involved in the race hanging out there, passing through, visiting this massive buffet line which fortunately we were kept separate from.

I'm afraid you are going to have to look to someone other than Thomas de Gendt to fuel your pessimism too:

• mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,616
    Which are likely to be the best and worst?
  • Now 17/18 seconds ahead at the third check.
  • Was that an inflatable penis on the course just then??
  • mididoctors

A lot of good news coming out of the Giro today, according to our commentators.
    Namely:

That was one of those false rumours.

“This first hotel [in Sicily] we were at was one of these big beach hotels that had hundreds of people not involved in the race hanging out there, passing through, visiting this massive buffet line which fortunately we were kept separate from.

I'm afraid you are going to have to look to someone other than Thomas de Gendt to fuel your pessimism too:

Cheers
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,326
    mrb123 said:

Have a look at what Ganna and Dennis are riding and work from there?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,686
    Why do they have a time cutoff in a TT stage?

Smith saying one rider looking at being binned after a crash. Given the reduced peloton size...
  • notquite6foot
    notquite6foot Posts: 248
    edited October 2020
    42:40 for Ganna - 26 seconds quicker

Another win for the maglia iridata?
  • mrb123

mrb123 said:

Have a look at what Ganna and Dennis are riding and work from there?
    I suspect Ganna could win on something from Halfords!
  • RichN95.
    Ganna fastest by 26 seconds
  • orraloon said:

Smith saying one rider looking at being binned after a crash. Given the reduced peloton size...

I think it was originally to stop riders just pootling round and saving energy for later stages
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,686
    Anyone not pick Ganna in PTP?
  • RichN95.
    orraloon said:

Juan Sebastian Molano of UAE. Finished in 58.31. I think the cut-off is 25%, so over 52.20 is in trouble. He's the only one outside at the moment
  • mrb123
    What on earth is Ganna's FTP?? Monstrous.
  • Hatch is calling it for Ganna already, but I wouldn't be surprised if, say, Almeida put up a strong challenge. (Contador wasn't that far off Kiryienka in the 2015 edition, IIRC).
  • RichN95.

Hatch is calling it for Ganna already, but I wouldn't be surprised if, say, Almeida put up a strong challenge. (Contador wasn't that far off Kiryienka in the 2015 edition, IIRC).

Almeida's last long TT was in the u23 Worlds and he came 28th nearly 3 minutes behind Bjerg over 30km. People forget he got the very best of the wind in stage 1.
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    I counted four riders overtaken by Ganna.

Any advance on four?
  • notquite6foot
    notquite6foot Posts: 248
    edited October 2020
    RichN95. said:

Hatch is calling it for Ganna already, but I wouldn't be surprised if, say, Almeida put up a strong challenge. (Contador wasn't that far off Kiryienka in the 2015 edition, IIRC).

Almeida's last long TT was in the u23 Worlds and he came 28th nearly 3 minutes behind Bjerg over 30km. People forget he got the very best of the wind in stage 1.
    Indeed. But given the way this season has gone where U23s are concerned, you can't rule anything out. (Who, for example, predicted Tadej Pogačar would take three classification jerseys and an 80-second winning stage margin on that Tour stage?)
  • And speaking of U23s - McNulty (junior rainbows in Doha 2016) is looking like one of the better GC guys today. 15 seconds down at the second check.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,540
    I'll be amazed if Almeida gets within 30 seconds. Ganna can leave it all out there, Almeida has to avoid doing a Yates and keep enough back so he can defend his jersey over the next week.
  • RichN95.

And speaking of U23s - McNulty (junior rainbows in Doha 2016) is looking like one of the better GC guys today. 15 seconds down at the second check.

And second in the u23 Worlds I mentioned
  • RichN95. said:

orraloon said:

Juan Sebastian Molano of UAE. Finished in 58.31. I think the cut-off is 25%, so over 52.20 is in trouble. He's the only one outside at the moment
    I wonder if they will factor in the medical checks he seemed to be having.
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    No camera for TGH?