Giro 2020 - Stage 12: Cesenatico – Cesenatico 204 km *Spoilers*

13»

Comments

• mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,801
    Padun cracking after getting to 9 secs
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    What a day
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • This is turning out to be quite a successful giro for Ineos. They should give up on GC more often :D
  • mididoctors
    Nearly 6 hours for some
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,036
    That is an angry looking red car
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • mididoctors
    Bit of a shame for padun
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,471
    Gutting for Padun but Ineos getting a reward for yet another good ride in the break. It's also allowing Tao to stay under th radar and keep in touch on GC. It's been a fascinating race, it has felt like a collection of back to back Classics so far. Part of me doesn't want the race to get into the high mountains and revert to type (although most teams look so weak it looks like it might be every man for himself).
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,036
    Grim conditions
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • Pross said:

Gutting for Padun but Ineos getting a reward for yet another good ride in the break. It's also allowing Tao to stay under th radar and keep in touch on GC. It's been a fascinating race, it has felt like a collection of back to back Classics so far. Part of me doesn't want the race to get into the high mountains and revert to type (although most teams look so weak it looks like it might be every man for himself).

High mountains looking like this...

• I have a feeling we’ll be lucky to get to week 3, never mind the high mountains.
  • Minor detail but Pernsteiner dropped out of the top 10 today, lost 3 minutes
    TGH moves up 2 places, I think
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,471
    They should re-arrange the mountain stages and give us a few more of these Lombardy style stages.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,149
    I see that as EF haven't got anyone high on GC or big climbers, Vaughters has asked if everyone can bunk off a week early.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,564
    You could almost say they’re trying to ‘duck’ out.

Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • RichN95. said:

I see that as EF haven't got anyone high on GC or big climbers, Vaughters has asked if everyone can bunk off a week early.

Don't forget they have also won a couple of stages so it's also a case of goal achieved.
    However, the UCI have straight out refused JV's written request.
    Hope his pockets are deep:

In the event of unjustified absence, withdrawal or giving up, the UCI WorldTeam shall be liable to a fine of between CHF 10,000 and 20,000. For stage races, this fine shall be multiplied by the number of days' racing remaining on the day of absence, withdrawal or giving up.
    The UCI may decide not to refer a case of absence, withdrawal or giving up of a UCI WorldTeam to the Disciplinary Commission, in case the two cumulative conditions below are fulfilled:

The UCI WorldTeam beforehand submitted to the UCI a formal motivated request for absence, withdrawal or giving up following an abnormal situation pertaining to doping;
    The organiser of the UCI WorldTour event has agreed in writing to the absence, withdrawal or giving up of the UCI WorldTeam.

So, in theory, since Jumbo left without permission, they are potentially liable for a fine of 10 grand under a quarter of a million CHF.

If EF go tomorrow, it's 180 Grand and after the rest day, 120.

MS were given the green light to leave for having a number of positives.

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,732
    Quite right you can't let teams do a Cippolini en masse.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • mididoctors
    It's kinda absurd ... Given the situation. It's like blackmailing workers to work in an environment they don't feel safe in .
  • It's kinda absurd ... Given the situation. It's like blackmailing workers to work in an environment they don't feel safe in .

WF Homers aside, how many workers feel safe in their current working environment?
    What happens to them if they don't bother to show up for work?
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,728

It's kinda absurd ... Given the situation. It's like blackmailing workers to work in an environment they don't feel safe in .

WF Homers aside, how many workers feel safe in their current working environment?
    What happens to them if they don't bother to show up for work?
    Probably a P45.
    From ACAS.
    "An employer should listen to any concerns staff may have and should take steps to protect everyone.

For example, they could:

offer extra car parking where possible so that people can avoid using public transport
    keep someone on 'furlough' (temporary leave) if they're temporarily unable to work
    arrange for someone to work different hours temporarily to avoid peak time travel
    If someone still does not want to go back to work, they may be able to arrange with their employer to take the time off as holiday or unpaid leave. The employer does not have to agree to this.

If someone refuses to attend work without a valid reason, it could result in disciplinary action
    ."
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Just to add a bit of context to JV's concerns.

Current active cases in Italy (the Giro) is 99,000
    Current active cases in Belgium (the Ronde) is 160,000
    New cases in Spain (the Vuelta) during the past 2 weeks is 160,000
    Current active cases in TDF country is 670,000

Oh and current active cases in Team HQ homeland is 2.2 million.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    edited October 2020

Just to add a bit of context to JV's concerns.

Current active cases in Italy (the Giro) is 99,000
    Current active cases in Belgium (the Ronde) is 160,000
    New cases in Spain (the Vuelta) during the past 2 weeks is 160,000
    Current active cases in TDF country is 670,000

Oh and current active cases in Team HQ homeland is 2.2 million.

Doesn't mean much as an absolute figure really. US is bigger than all of those countries by some margin.

Per 100,000 of population based on your figures, country populations from Google:
    USA 670
    Belgium 1396
    Spain 341
    France 1000
    Italy 164

Spain looks alright by that measure. Italy is very low!

Much more relevant in terms of whether you're actually likely to meet someone with COVID.