Mad dog in the road
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,926
    edited October 2020
    davidof said:

Mad dog in the road

... waiting for the Englishman in the midday sun!
  • alan_a
    alan_a Posts: 1,550
    Holmes doing too much work on the front of chasers
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,926
    Congrats Alex Dowsett.
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,041
    Where did the dog come?
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,860
    So happy for dowsett .. ridden with him a fair few times... Just thought I would name drop that here
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • alan_a
    alan_a Posts: 1,550
    Absolutely delighted for Alex.

He looked soooo emotional.
  • Loved watching Dowsett coming across the line then - just absolute disbelief and joy.

And a fair bit of being knackered, obviously.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,938
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,699

So happy for dowsett .. ridden with him a fair few times... Just thought I would name drop that here

Always super friendly to everyone too.
  • mididoctors

Bloody hurt.my legs
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    edited October 2020
    Wow, I was not expecting that!

Thought it was between Holmes, Puccio, Rosskopf for sure - I missed it so I'm watching the replay now, at 22-24km to go it looks like a done deal - Brandle is just towing Dowsett back in now.

So happy for Dowsett, great guy. Must be a great ride to win from here.
  • bobmcstuff

Me too.......... on Zwift!

He is good on social media, YouTube, Zwift etc.. Makes a real effort.
  • bobmcstuff
    Textbook one-two attack from the Israel guys there. Dangerous to let a good TTer like Dowsett to get that kind of gap.
  • bobmcstuff
    Apparently he doesn't have a contract for next year!

That seems mad to me. I know he's not won a lot, but he is a quality TTer and rouleur so you'd think he would be a good domestique.
  • Wonder if he’d return to Sky/Ineos/Grenadier Seeing as they’ve resigned a few old boys. (Though possibly I read that they now have a full roster) Movistar maybe? Or Arkea Or Alpecin-Fenika with Canyon link?
  • bobmcstuff

Wonder if he’d return to Sky/Ineos/Grenadier Seeing as they’ve resigned a few old boys. (Though possibly I read that they now have a full roster) Movistar maybe? Or Arkea Or Alpecin-Fenika with Canyon link?

I would have thought with Froome joining ISN next year, they might want to keep him where he is, tbh.
  • Harry182
    Harry182 Posts: 1,169

Wonder if he’d return to Sky/Ineos/Grenadier Seeing as they’ve resigned a few old boys. (Though possibly I read that they now have a full roster) Movistar maybe? Or Arkea Or Alpecin-Fenika with Canyon link?

I would have thought with Froome joining ISN next year, they might want to keep him where he is, tbh.
    I had the same thought.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,699

Bloody hurt.my legs
    Funny that
  • mididoctors

LOL. I guess that must happen a lot now ...weird times . Did you beat him ?
  • mididoctors
    It was a good win.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744

Peloton showing no signs of being interested in pulling them back atm.
    Bora having a strop and refusing to do any work only to get beaten again.

Which is odd as that finishing circuit looked like a good one for Sagan. I guess it was also good for an on form Demare though.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,342
    Sagan and Cavendish look to be sitting down at the same table. Cav just sat down a while before. :p
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    Glad for Dowsett - hopefully he can get a contract - I suppose before today his value was purely as a domestique as he does seem very low visibility for a decent TTer you rarely see him in breaks or indeed at all. Maybe a case of being a nice guy has led him to play the team rider to the detriment of his own palmares at times?
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • bobmcstuff

LOL. I guess that must happen a lot now ...weird times . Did you beat him ?
    Oh no, I never raced against him, although some of the guys in my club did - I race in the B category and obviously Alex is in the A category. He was racing quite a few crits and TTs at one point in lockdown.

He runs/ran a Wednesday group workout session called Dowsett's TT tips, where he would have a livestream on YouTube at the same time (it's still running, but he isn't joining it at the moment, as he is otherwise busy...). I did that a few times when he was running it.
  • bobmcstuff

Glad for Dowsett - hopefully he can get a contract - I suppose before today his value was purely as a domestique as he does seem very low visibility for a decent TTer you rarely see him in breaks or indeed at all. Maybe a case of being a nice guy has led him to play the team rider to the detriment of his own palmares at times?

I assume with his skillset he must be good for controlling earlier in the stage, pulling back breaks etc (a bit like how Tony Martin is used) although I doubt ISN have needed to do much of that. Next year though, you would think they would need to do a lot of that.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,100

I assume with his skillset he must be good for controlling earlier in the stage, pulling back breaks etc (a bit like how Tony Martin is used) although I doubt ISN have needed to do much of that. Next year though, you would think they would need to do a lot of that.
    UAE have only 16 riders confirmed for 2021 so far. Mikkel Bjerg is super impressive on the flat, but looking at their roster, he is going to need some help. Dowsett wouldn't be a terrible shout and would definitely be an improvement on what they have atm (Bjerg excepted).
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,550
    Pleased for Dowsett though I would have loved to see Puccio win. I thought that ISN had completely blown it on the first time up the climb, a bit of a mistake for the front 3 to not got all in after getting a decent gap but superb work by Brandle.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,202
    Great to see Dowsett get the stage. The Poc TT helmet is forgiven.
  • mididoctors
    Pross said:

Pleased for Dowsett though I would have loved to see Puccio win. I thought that ISN had completely blown it on the first time up the climb, a bit of a mistake for the front 3 to not got all in after getting a decent gap but superb work by Brandle.

Bit of a rookie error I thought for riders as good as them