Quinn Simmons benched for tweet

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    edited February 2021

He's not back for more. I would think that he would rather move on. The media will bring this up throughout his career though. Condemned by people who have obviously never done anything wrong ever, crucifying someone for tweet an emoji in the colour and voting for someone different than they would.

There are many race related issues in this world. But if you're demonising young people for life for small disgressions, don't be surprised when they don't come over to your side when then voting stations open.

If you say to someone like Simmons - why are you doing this, please explain and discuss it with them, you may get a better person. But if you throw them under the bus to show your own virtue and keep revisiting it, you will definitely create a life-long right wing bigot.

It's important for the cycling media to hold him to account, as it excuses them from asking why 90% of cycling journalists are white men.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • RichN95. said:

He's not back for more. I would think that he would rather move on. The media will bring this up throughout his career though. Condemned by people who have obviously never done anything wrong ever, crucifying someone for tweet an emoji in the colour and voting for someone different than they would.

There are many race related issues in this world. But if you're demonising young people for life for small disgressions, don't be surprised when they don't come over to your side when then voting stations open.

If you say to someone like Simmons - why are you doing this, please explain and discuss it with them, you may get a better person. But if you throw them under the bus to show your own virtue and keep revisiting it, you will definitely create a life-long right wing bigot.

It's important for the cycling media to hold him to account, as it excuses them from asking why 90% of cycling journalists are white men.
    Doesn't pro cycling generate it's revenue through the fact it is entertainment though, and as a consequence it goes hand in hand with the media in it various forms?

That being the case this is how he has managed to continue to do what he loves and generate a comfortable living from it. Don't then be shocked if you do something you know to be controversial and get a media response back.

Maybe people can make judgements about the media if they don't consume it, but if everybody didn't surely it wouldn't exist?
  • People will complain that athletes just give boring, stock answers to media questions while simultaneously chastising those that don't think the same way as them.

Let's face it, if he had replied in the same way to a tweet saying "unfollow me if you're going to vote for Biden", there wouldn't be the same furore.
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,605
    Is that because Biden isn't very obviously a racist, white-supremacist, morality-free pussy-grabber though?
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • gregster04
    gregster04 Posts: 1,753
    He was given an opportunity to talk about what happened. That was always going to happen which he and Trek would have known.

He’s had his media training so they’ve prepare for this. Obviously, you just say you regret the whole situation happened but it’s in the past and it’s time to focus on the racing.

His comments are just tone deaf. Then people wonder why cycling has a diversity problem.
  • He was given an opportunity to talk about what happened. That was always going to happen which he and Trek would have known.

He’s had his media training so they’ve prepare for this. Obviously, you just say you regret the whole situation happened but it’s in the past and it’s time to focus on the racing.

His comments are just tone deaf. Then people wonder why cycling has a diversity problem.

But what if he doesn't feel like that? Should he say just it because that's what people want to hear? He did say he wants to focus on his racing, tbf.
  • He was given an opportunity to talk about what happened. That was always going to happen which he and Trek would have known.

Meh. Second time around and it's a complete non-story.
    Maybe there's some mileage if this thread were in the cake stop.

It's a funny old world that we are currently living in, when lying becomes a virtue, if it means avoiding the radar of folks looking to get offended.

The season has started btw.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    I'm not sure we want to get to the stage where we judge pro-sports contracts by their political opinions. That sounds like the sort of thing that could go wrong very quickly.

It wasn't the smartest thing for him to reply to that tweet, but it probably wasn't the smartest thing for Jose Been to tweet either.

Like all supporters of populists, he's going to learn the reality soon enough...

(I think Chloe Dygart is potentially on a stickier wicket tho, she's done well to keep schtum)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • gregster04

He was given an opportunity to talk about what happened. That was always going to happen which he and Trek would have known.

But what if he doesn't feel like that? Should he say just it because that's what people want to hear? He did say he wants to focus on his racing, tbf.
    He did. He then got into a deeper conversation about what happened anyway. I don’t really know how Trek allowed that to happen. So I suppose yet again, I have some sympathy for him. I’d have thought they would be extremely careful after what happened.

I don’t think he’d be saying anything he didn’t agree with if he limited his comments to regretting being involved in the whole situation. Unless he’s somehow enjoying it.
  • gregster04

Meh. Second time around and it's a complete non-story.
    Maybe there's some mileage if this thread were in the cake stop.

It's a funny old world that we are currently living in, when lying becomes a virtue, if it means avoiding the radar of folks looking to get offended.

The season has started btw.
    Thanks for that. My feed for KBK starts in about 30 mins.

I actually like Quinn Simmons a lot as a cyclist and it’s no secret he’s very very good.

I don’t think he meant to be offensive initially but everything he’s done since then has been very poor.
  • RichN95.
    Trek: We will not tolerate suspect emojis because we believe in diversity

Trek: Be will not let the police use our bikes because we believe in diversity

Also Trek: See if you can spot an employee who isn't white (clue: there isn't one)

• david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313

He made a mistake, pretty easy for a 19 year old on social media. I have sympathy for that.

His team have reacted, which they’re entitled to do as they pay his wages and want to sell more of their products. I can also sympathise with that.

If you can’t see why people from minority groups have a problem with Trump then you just don’t want to see it.

I expect he’ll be back racing for Trek-Segafredo next season and we won’t seem him much on social media. He’s a very talented guy so I hope we do.

"some" people from minority groups have a problem with trump and "some" people from the same minority groups think he's great.

And given the fact that with a trump in-between there's been a black president and a black Vice President and the other reality is that the Black population is a massive minority. Looking at the population of the riders age, Black white hispanic, there is increasingly no majority racial numbers superiority. Given that black and hispanic groups are contributing to population growth far more than whites it is only a matter of time before white is a minority.

However people see offence where they want to and if they can signal their own virtue whilst confecting that offence all the better.

• focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,901
    edited February 2021
    RichN95. said:

Also Trek: See if you can spot an employee who isn't white (clue: there isn't one)

There are a couple of people in there actually if you look at a photo with a decent resolution. I thought I'd post it, otherwise it's a bit unfair on Trek to make that allegation. Open the image to see a higher resolution.
  • RichN95. said:

There are a couple of people in there actually if you look at a photo with a decent resolution. I thought I'd post it, otherwise it's a bit unfair on Trek to make that allegation. Open the image to see a higher resolution.
    I have spotted two, possibly three.
    Hardly a diverse workforce by any stretch of the imagination.
    A UK company with a similar workforce would have the finger of racism pointed at them by the media watchdogs.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • RichN95. said:

I have spotted two, possibly three.
    Hardly a diverse workforce by any stretch of the imagination.
    A UK company with a similar workforce would have the finger of racism pointed at them by the media watchdogs.
    I agree, but that wasn't the claim made.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,447

What utter tosh.
  • david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313
    my workforce is entirely white. does that make me a racist?
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    david37 said:

my workforce is entirely white. does that make me a racist?

Depends on the reason why you've only hired white people, doesn't it?
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • Trek has issued a statement on its "commitment to a better future" after its bicycles were used as weapons by US police officers against protesters during the Black Lives Matter marches across the US. Trek is one of a number of suppliers of bikes to police forces in the US.

Various images and videos of police officers using their bikes as weapons and shields – seemingly having been trained to use them as such – have appeared online and in the media over the past week and a half.

Trek has been under pressure to react to the use of their police bikes. Cyclingnews understands that members of their own Advocates programme have called for action and support for the Black Lives Matter movement.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/trek-responds-to-use-of-police-bikes-against-black-lives-matter-protesters/

For context regarding Trek and their sale of bikes to the Police.

I'm going to leave it here as it's positive part of the forum and I don't want to detract from that.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,148
    Seems ludicrous to blame a bike manufacturer for their bikes being used in a way they aren't intended (and for the company to make a statement other than to say "we sell them to the police ASA mode transport").
  • RichN95. said:

The really weird thing in that photo is the guy far right in the red shirt/leather jacket. He looks about 9 ft 4 compared to everybody else!
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • ddraver
    Hee hee,

He draws the eye eh?
    - @ddraver
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,148
    I'm guessing the Shimano mechanic and that Alpecin rider today were both Democrats?
  • ddraver
    I didnt realise he was so young I have to say, or so talented...
    - @ddraver
  • RichN95.
    ddraver said:

He's going to annoy of people who had left-leaning parents and the privilege of being ideologically 'pure' at 19.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    RichN95. said:

ddraver said:

He's going to annoy of people who had left-leaning parents and the privilege of being ideologically 'pure' at 19.
    He's going to be a feature in some of the big races going forward for sure.

Does anyone outside of the anglo-sphere actually give a toss about this "situation"?

Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,447
    Inrng throwing shade;

Then seven because Quinn Simmons, who probably likes white roads,

https://inrng.com/2021/03/the-moment-2021-strade-bianche-won/
  • lpd2
    lpd2 Posts: 10
    Wow, he is good! It is shocking to see the vitriol for him on social media, I hope he can rise above it.