Nairo Quintana and Arkea hotel rooms searched by French police...

124»

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,148
    webboo said:

Pross said:

phreak said:

Pavel tonkov rode a big gear

Didn't Pantani fly up the Mortirolo with a 24 on the back?
    Wasn't 39x24 about the lowest anyone used back then? I remember a friend who raced at the top level having the Mick taken out of him big time when he turned up at Premier Calendar races with what I guess is now called a super compact chainset and 7-8 speed cassettes didn't allow scope for going much bigger than 24. I think a 26 was the biggest standard road cassette I can recall seeing back then.
    I had a 28 sprocket on a screw on block before cassettes were invented. 6 speed I think.
    I doubt you'd have wanted to do a pro race with the ratio jumps it gave though.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,235
    Jeez. I never thought I would want a thread to get back to doping chat.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    I think the 3 Peaks was a Pro/Am in those days. :D
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,790

Pavel tonkov rode big gear

FTFY
    no fear of the needle in them days. knee poping
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    edited September 2020
    webboo said:

Pross said:

phreak said:

Wasn't 39x24 about the lowest anyone used back then? I remember a friend who raced at the top level having the Mick taken out of him big time when he turned up at Premier Calendar races with what I guess is now called a super compact chainset and 7-8 speed cassettes didn't allow scope for going much bigger than 24. I think a 26 was the biggest standard road cassette I can recall seeing back then.
    I had a 28 sprocket on a screw on block before cassettes were invented. 6 speed I think.
    I used to use a 42 X 26 over the likes of wrynose. we were clueless back then

"If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Matti66
    Matti66 Posts: 190
    edited September 2020
    The rear mechs and gear levers couldn't handle the range of movement required I suppose , Maybe it took the Americans and the MTB world to see things differently & not be hidebound by traditions, As a school boy we would ride up winnants pass on a 42x17 or maybe 18 tooth on a regina 5 speed block straight through! Zigzagging , but no walking ever. Haha. Its better now despite what some folks may say imho.
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,095
    Matti66 said:

The rear mechs and gear levers couldn't handle the range of movement required I suppose , Maybe it took the Americans and the MTB world to see things differently & not be hidebound by traditions, As a school boy we would ride up winnants pass on a 42x17 or maybe 18 tooth on a regina 5 speed block straight through! Zigzagging , but no walking ever. Haha. Its better now despite

Matti66 said:

The rear mechs and gear levers couldn't handle the range of movement required I suppose , Maybe it took the Americans and the MTB world to see things differently & not be hidebound by traditions, As a school boy we would ride up winnants pass on a 42x17 or maybe 18 tooth on a regina 5 speed block straight through! Zigzagging , but no walking ever. Haha. Its better now despite what some folks may say imho.

My old road bike has a 38x28 on the back with a Shimano Arabesque gruppo
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,625

webboo said:

Pross said:

phreak said:

I used to use a 42 X 26 over the likes of wrynose. we were clueless back then

Pantani would never use a 39.

FWIW, I don't think I was any fitter or less fit but all my PBs up the surrey hills were done on a 53-39 front and 11-25 back. When I took some lower gears for a trip to Flanders I never again reached the dizzy heights I had achieved previously.

Presumably it's the bigger gears forced me to get on with it a bit more - a kit solution for a mental problem.
  • webboo
    In another life time I rode up Rosedale chimney on 42 x 24. These days I avoid it like the plague even though I have 36 x 30.
  • webboo said:

In another life time I rode up Rosedale chimney on 42 x 24. These days I avoid it like the plague even though I have 36 x 30.

I realise I might be here taking things even more into the Four Yorshiremen sketch :/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKHFZBUTA4k

The first Alpine passes I ever rode (Telegraphe, Montgenevre, Sestriere and Larche/Maddelena) I did with a low of 39/28 plus 20 kilo of luggage incl tent & sleeping bag on paniers. (I was given a lift from Valloire up to the top of Galibier).

A few years later I went back to the Alps and as by then I had a family and a car, I didn't need to carry my belongings, just to meet my family at pre-determined destinations, so I opted for a low of 42/24 and it went fine (Madeleine, Glandon, Telegraphe, Galibier, Izouard, Vars and Bonnette/Restefond).

I can't believe it when I look back; in the Alps I now ride a low of 34/28.

• bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    I have a 34 x 32 on mine... I don't really know any different though as I used to MTB and only got a road bike in 2012. I ran a 30 on my light wheels for a while but didn't really notice any difference. My speed on hills is more or less exclusively determined by my fitness...

I can see that bigger gears would mean you would need to push harder in some cases, but for me full gas is full gas... Would need to do something a bit more scientific with a powermeter to actually check.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    edited September 2020
    You were looky. T'cassette on my first bike were hewed out of a single block of granite and had 3 cogs - 11, 7 and 3...
  • mididoctors

You were looky. T'cassette on my first bike were hewed out of a single block of granite and had 3 cogs - 11, 7 and 3...

luxury .
  • mididoctors

I have a 34 x 32 on mine... I don't really know any different though as I used to MTB and only got a road bike in 2012. I ran a 30 on my light wheels for a while but didn't really notice any difference. My speed on hills is more or less exclusively determined by my fitness...

I can see that bigger gears would mean you would need to push harder in some cases, but for me full gas is full gas... Would need to do something a bit more scientific with a powermeter to actually check.

The fact the pros have dropped gear inches etc .
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,625
    I blame Armstrong.
  • Who doesn't.
    Not a Giro Hero!
  • webboo
    edited September 2020
    There was also the thing about trying not to use your biggest sprocket as you needed to save it for when things got really tough. However when they did get tough you were out of saddle and unable to let go to reach your down tube lever.
    Makes you wonder why we didn’t use drugs Or maybe we did as we were clearly off heads then.
  • webboo said:

There was also the thing about trying not to use your biggest sprocket as you needed to save it for when things got really tough. However when they did get tough you were out of saddle and unable to let go to reach your down tube lever.
    Makes you wonder why we didn’t use drugs Or maybe we did as we were clearly off heads then.

These days I can grind to halt what ever gear i'm in...
  • webboo

webboo said:

These days I can grind to halt what ever gear i'm in...
    Now you mention it.
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,095

sounds like the new Campag gravel gruppo.
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969
    davidof said:

sounds like the new Campag gravel gruppo.
    You mean the one that they actually advertise that you have to get off and push?
    Perfect for this tangent! 🤣🤣🤣
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Yet again I open this thread to see if there's news on the Arkea investigation and find it's just more twattery about gears. Find another thread please guys.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • pblakeney

Yet again I open this thread to see if there's news on the Arkea investigation and find it's just more twattery about gears. Find another thread please guys.

Maybe there is just no story to tell.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • pblakeney said:

Yet again I open this thread to see if there's news on the Arkea investigation and find it's just more twattery about gears. Find another thread please guys.

There probably isn't, in which case the thread sinks down the board and dies. Rather than popping to the top like something happened.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • pblakeney

pblakeney said:

There probably isn't, in which case the thread sinks down the board and dies. Rather than popping to the top like something happened.
    Hmmm. Wonder what's stopping that from happening. 😉
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • I've found a great place for decals