Nairo Quintana and Arkea hotel rooms searched by French police...

Comments

• bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196

Pross said:

Welcome to 1998.

Your memory of 1998 seems to have faded.
    Was going to say 1998 was a great year, but it turns out everything I thought I remembered from 1998 was actually from 1999 (Pokemon cards, Pokemon red on the gameboy, Prisoner of Azkaban). Star Wars Episode 1 too (I knew that was '99).

Didn't we have a really hot summer. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets came out. I had a tamagotchi, and it kept getting confiscated at school. That must have been earlier in the year. All the girls were singing Spice Girls. I remember yo-yos getting banned because we kept hitting each other. That must have been the end of the year though, I remember it raining a lot as we had to be banned from using them indoors first. It was my dream to get an X-Brain but they were like £20 and my mum wouldn't buy me one.

I don't remember any cycling though :smiley:
    star wars episode one was 1976
    They weren't called episodes at all on first release... That was brought in retrospectively. The first one was just called Star Wars when it was released (1977...).
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,747

Pross said:

Welcome to 1998.

Was going to say 1998 was a great year, but it turns out everything I thought I remembered from 1998 was actually from 1999 (Pokemon cards, Pokemon red on the gameboy, Prisoner of Azkaban). Star Wars Episode 1 too (I knew that was '99).

Didn't we have a really hot summer. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets came out. I had a tamagotchi, and it kept getting confiscated at school. That must have been earlier in the year. All the girls were singing Spice Girls. I remember yo-yos getting banned because we kept hitting each other. That must have been the end of the year though, I remember it raining a lot as we had to be banned from using them indoors first. It was my dream to get an X-Brain but they were like £20 and my mum wouldn't buy me one.

Episode IV in 1977.
    Everyone knows that. Well, most...
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,388
    Can someone just flipping google it?!!!!

;)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,002

I remember yo-yos getting banned because we kept hitting each other

I remember that in about 1971, 1973, 1975, 1977 ....
    They had a weird short lived revival in the late-90s. The fidget spinners of 1998.
    these got banned
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=FLHftISLNHE
    For some reason I remember these as being called 'knockers', or maybe 'knackers' ...
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,002

Pross said:

Welcome to 1998.

I still haven't recovered from being turned down by Tracy after plucking up courage to ask for a date to see this when it came out. Never saw any of the series it until MM junior started watching.
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,905

Pross said:

Welcome to 1998.

1999 was a properly crazy year. VDB in Liege, Pantani across the Giro, Armstrong on Sestriere, Ullrich and VDB again at the Vuelta. Just race after race full of extra-terrestrial craziness.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,104
    phreak said:

Pross said:

Welcome to 1998.

1999 was a properly crazy year. VDB in Liege, Pantani across the Giro, Armstrong on Sestriere, Ullrich and VDB again at the Vuelta. Just race after race full of extra-terrestrial craziness.
    VDB trying to win the Worlds with both wrists broken...
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,805
    phreak said:

Pross said:

Welcome to 1998.

VDB at the vuelta was the best advert for epo ever .
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    Vdb vuelta was full of insane attacks . He attacked on the final stage held off the bunch ( Madrid crit ) for all the bonus sprints and won the points jersey
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,612

Vdb vuelta was full of insane attacks . He attacked on the final stage held off the bunch ( Madrid crit ) for all the bonus sprints and won the points jersey

I dunno, riding up La Redoute like a sprinter in the big ring in the drops is pretty mental too.

Apparently he'd been on the p!ss and in a nightclub untill 4am the morning before that LBL.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r85IjFm2OLM

(5.48 if you want Avila)
  • rick_chasey
    If you want big gears, VDB, holy moly.
  • rick_chasey
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8MOQuF4_BI

Here's VDB dropping the great and the good on a mountain.
  • phreak

I dunno, riding up La Redoute like a sprinter in the big ring in the drops is pretty mental too.

Apparently he'd been on the p!ss and in a nightclub untill 4am the morning before that LBL.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r85IjFm2OLM

(5.48 if you want Avila)
    Attacking on climbs should always be done in the drops.
  • phreak

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8MOQuF4_BI

Here's VDB dropping the great and the good on a mountain.

Reminiscent of Indurain in the 95 Tour when he just rode everyone off his wheel chasing Zulle who was way up the road.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,388
    phreak said:

Attacking on climbs should always be done in the drops.

I've long said it should be an automatic doping suspension ;)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • mididoctors
    Pavel tonkov rode a big gear
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725

Pavel tonkov rode big gear

FTFY
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • mididoctors
    No body just rides everyone off the wheel starting at the base till the top now .
  • phreak

Didn't Pantani fly up the Mortirolo with a 24 on the back?
  • david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313

No body just rides everyone off the wheel starting at the base till the top now .

Thats cause theyre mostly on equally good gear.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    david37 said:

Or maybe, just maybe, no-ones on any gear
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • david37 said:

What is the equally good gear that they are on?
    Since you seem to know, be specific and bring us all up to speed.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Matti66
    Matti66 Posts: 190
    Campag and Shimano , maybe sram or miche and rotor
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,490
    phreak said:

Wasn't 39x24 about the lowest anyone used back then? I remember a friend who raced at the top level having the Mick taken out of him big time when he turned up at Premier Calendar races with what I guess is now called a super compact chainset and 7-8 speed cassettes didn't allow scope for going much bigger than 24. I think a 26 was the biggest standard road cassette I can recall seeing back then.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,558
    This thread has gone off on one... back on topic and the two support staff have also been released. The team have said that they are satisfied with what they now know and that the Quintana brothers are free to continue being professional cyclists. For course the police have yet to give the all clear...
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Pross said:

phreak said:

Wasn't 39x24 about the lowest anyone used back then? I remember a friend who raced at the top level having the Mick taken out of him big time when he turned up at Premier Calendar races with what I guess is now called a super compact chainset and 7-8 speed cassettes didn't allow scope for going much bigger than 24. I think a 26 was the biggest standard road cassette I can recall seeing back then.
    I had a 28 sprocket on a screw on block before cassettes were invented. 6 speed I think.
  • webboo said:

Pross said:

phreak said:

I had a 28 sprocket on a screw on block before cassettes were invented. 6 speed I think.
    Are you sure that wasn't a dork disk on the back?
  • webboo
    edited September 2020
    You mean like those things people have on their front hubs these days.
  • webboo said:

You mean like those things people have on their front hubs these days.

Those too.
  • webboo
    No I bought it to do the 3 peaks cyclocross in the days of 42 inner chain rings.