TDF 2020 - Stage 18: Méribel - La Roche-sur-Foron 175 km *Spoilers*

Comments

• Harry182
    Harry182 Posts: 1,169
    Great finish! Enjoyed that stage.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,860
    Who won?
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,691
    Van Aert lol
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,041
    RichN95. said:

Pross said:

Would have been awkward if Carapaz had just rolled a bit faster there!

I'm not 100% he didn't
    Kwia was first
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • mididoctors
    Kiwi side on its clear
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,041
    Great for Porte
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • Van Aert lol

Aye.
    Handy to have your sprinter around to finish off these tortuous, mega mountain stages.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • richard_t._biscuit
    richard_t._biscuit Posts: 246
    edited September 2020

Weirdest photo finish ever

Ineos will be after a copy so they can frame it.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,100
    Hirschi's crash spoilt that stage.

Anyone with an idea what the time cut-off is?
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • Bennett now 31 minutes down, cut off at about 39 minutes?
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,470

Bennett now 31 minutes down, cut off at about 39 minutes?

The ineos guys showed down for the final 2k just to help the grupetto. They really are the peloton's team.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • Blasted work! I only just finished a whole load of stuff and missed the stage.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,691

Van Aert lol

Aye.
    Handy to have your sprinter around to finish off these tortuous, mega mountain stages.
    Nuts.

Quite fun seeing the different between a sprinter and climbers sprinting.
  • DeadCalm said:

But he had the best win of all: that combativity award.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,154
    edited September 2020
    Carapaz with his finger on the brake just to be sure

Twitter: @RichN95
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,540
    DeadCalm said:

Anyone with an idea what the time cut-off is?

Don't think it did, it was an enjoyable stage. Yes, he would have made the Ineos pair work but you would think that Carapaz would have dropped him on the HC climb.
  • RichN95. said:

Carapaz with his finger on the brake just to be sure

Couldn't give a combativity award to either of them.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,620
    Kwiat said in interview that Hirschi was descending too fast and not doing any work anyway.
  • mididoctors
    I enjoyed it and love the random puncture gravel
  • Yes he didn't sound that sympathetic did he!

Well that's pretty much that unless Roglic has a couple of mechanicals in the TT, when does the Giro start?
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • So the Toblerone didn't melt? Just more of a Toblerone crunchy situation... Highlights tonight for me.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,560

Well that's pretty much that unless Roglic has a couple of mechanicals in the TT, when does the Giro start?

Giro starts 3 October, and we've got the World Champs, Bink Bank Tour and Fleche Wallone before then

• Pross
    So is Carapaz going to go to the Giro? He looks like he has ridden himself into form.
  • zest28
    zest28 Posts: 403
    davidof said:

inseine said:

So much for weak Ineos team

Just weak team leader
    Yeah, Bernal was holding Ineos back. You could see that the other Ineos riders were looking back and slowing down for Bernal. One of them was even talking to Bernal while Bernal was doing his best.

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,154
    edited September 2020
    Word on the street is the KOM points in the TT are awarded on the climb time, not the stage position.

Edit: Confirmed

Twitter: @RichN95
  • DeadCalm
    Bennett and Ewan home inside the time cut.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • DeadCalm
    RichN95. said:

Word on the street is the KOM points in the TT are awarded on the climb time, not the stage position.

Big advantage to Carapaz but he's pretty much won it anyway has he not?
    Team My Man 2022:

• Pross
    DeadCalm said:

RichN95. said:

Only a two point lead, I think La Planche is a 1st cat climb and presumably double points for a summit finish.
  • Pross
    That final uncategorised climb today would have been a 3rd cat on most stages, it looked pretty tough.
  • DeadCalm
    Pross said:

DeadCalm said:

RichN95. said:

Only a two point lead, I think La Planche is a 1st cat climb and presumably double points for a summit finish.
    You're right.only 2 points. Listening to Eurosport I'd got the impression that the lead was bigger. Pogacar's effort on the final climb more understandable now. My money is still on Carapaz who can afford to coast to the climb and then really hit it hard.
    Team My Man 2022: