Rim vs. disc brakes - which will win most stages in TdF 2020?

neeb
neeb Posts: 4,467
On the first rest day the score stands at 5 - 4 in favour of rim brakes. Which will win most stages overall?

Go rim brakes! :)

Comments

• andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    It's the new Campag vs Shimano for dullards, isn't it?
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,595
    Neither. And it won't be the bikes either, it will be the riders.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • neeb
    edited September 2020
    (EDIT) more ill-advised ranting, ignore.
  • pblakeney
    neeb said:

Should have remembered you're all a bunch of tossers on this subforum.

So much for a bit of fun...

Your fun level must be set lower than mine. 😉
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • neeb
    pblakeney said:

That's blindingly obvious (the performance differences are insignificant at pro level, possible faster wheel changes for rim brakes aside). But It'll be a finely balanced outcome this year dependent on relative dominance of J-V, Ineos, AG2R etc in stage wins, as well as the individual choices of likely stage winners from other teams.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    Why don't you write an impassioned post about why the one you bought is the best..?
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • neeb
    edited September 2020
    (EDIT) rant rant rant.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    It’s taken you over 4,000 posts to work that out.
  • neeb
    A tiny fraction of which have been in Pro race, for the above reason.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,439
    Another disc brake buyer trying, and failing, to prove that everyone agrees with their choice.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • So if the rim v disc stage count is abandoned now that means rim brakes win yeah?
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • pblakeney
    neeb said:

pblakeney said:

That's blindingly obvious (the performance differences are insignificant at pro level, possible faster wheel changes for rim brakes aside). But It'll be a finely balanced outcome this year dependent on relative dominance of J-V, Ineos, AG2R etc in stage wins, as well as the individual choices of likely stage winners from other teams.
    Why ask the question then?
    Don't say fun. I'd be disappointed in you if you think that debate is fun.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,646
    neeb said:

Should have remembered you're all a bunch of tossers on this subforum.

So much for a bit of fun...

Yeah but 5lavging off dumb topics is part of the fun .. go rim brakes
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • neeb
    pblakeney said:

neeb said:

pblakeney said:

Oh OK, because I'm a twisted obsessive with a vested interest..
  • pblakeney
    neeb said:

pblakeney said:

neeb said:

pblakeney said:

Oh OK, because I'm a twisted obsessive with a vested interest..
    Oh OK, that makes more sense then.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Seems like more teams are shifting to the MTB discs at the tour this year instead of Dura ace rotors!?
    Nobody know why however.

I have a feeling it's something wrong with the road discs. - mainly shimano.
    My Dura ace discs rub after short but hard braking. I wonder if the design is flawed and bends too much under heat?
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,249
    So which will win more, MTB or Dura-Ace disks would be a better and more nerdish question
  • Seems like more teams are shifting to the MTB discs at the tour this year instead of Dura ace rotors!?
    Nobody know why however.

My Dura ace discs rub after short but hard braking. I wonder if the design is flawed and bends too much under heat?

Interesting. Is it just different rotors or calipers too ?

• mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,581

Seems like more teams are shifting to the MTB discs at the tour this year instead of Dura ace rotors!?
    Nobody know why however.

Which ones do you think they're using then? XTR rotors?
  • Yeah I googled it there's a story on one of the cycling news sites. It lists who is using them but they only speculate as to why.
  • I wonder if it could be something as ridiculous as availability.
  • mrb123
    Seems the XTRs are lighter than DA so that's probably reason enough in itself.
  • Just looked into this and it's DA calipers. They are changing the discs though.

Can it really be weight!? Weight wise it means nothing as it's about 20g and the bikes are on the UCI limit almost anyway.

The DA and Ultegra discs are designed for road as the ice tech fins are much bigger to offload the heat generated with high speed braking.

• mrb123

Just looked into this and it's DA calipers. They are changing the discs though.

Can it really be weight!? Weight wise it means nothing as it's about 20g and the bikes are on the UCI limit almost anyway.

The DA and Ultegra discs are designed for road as the ice tech fins are much bigger to offload the heat generated with high speed braking.

I'm not sure the disc braked bikes necessarily are on the UCI weight limit though, particularly those riding bigger sizes.
  • I can see rim brakes sticking around. There doesn't seem to be a performance advantage downhill for discs but there is one uphill for rim brakes.

Despite manufacturers pushing discs the extra complexity, weight and expense is a genuine disadvantage for those of us who buy and maintain our own bikes and aren't constrained by the uci weight limit. Ok so you don't wear out your rims - does anyone actually get through many rims on their "best" bike? With direct mount calipers we can even have wide tyres without discs now.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,646
    i will go disc I suspect cos if I get a new frame its likely to be disc. i like the lack of rim wear. i feel underwhelmed by it thou.

TdG doesnt ride discs or electric gears bike packing. not like he couldn't if he wanted
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196

I can see rim brakes sticking around. There doesn't seem to be a performance advantage downhill for discs but there is one uphill for rim brakes.

Despite manufacturers pushing discs the extra complexity, weight and expense is a genuine disadvantage for those of us who buy and maintain our own bikes and aren't constrained by the uci weight limit. Ok so you don't wear out your rims - does anyone actually get through many rims on their "best" bike? With direct mount calipers we can even have wide tyres without discs now.

The biggest advantage seems to me to be the ability to do really fast wheel changes and to take neutral service wheels
  • ddraver
    Neutral service need to get with the times....
    - @ddraver
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    ddraver said:

Neutral service need to get with the times....

Are all the manufacturers using the same disc and axle standards yet? I don't think they are - especially the thru-axle
  • ddraver
    Seems like a very solvable problem to me...
    - @ddraver