TDF 2020: Stage 6: Le Teil > Mont Aigoual 191 km *Spoilers*

1234568»

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,218
    I think it's simply too early for anyone to put in a big effort with the big mountains starting at the weekend. The lack of racing so far this year probably hasn't helped either as a lot of the riders have probably decided to ride themselves into form a bit in the first week.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,584
    I think early in the Tour, the short, sharp Muur style uphill finishes provide more excitement.

The two summits in this Tour have yielded a total of about 200m of GC action.
  • josame
    josame Posts: 1,141
    Spoilers! pah!
    I'm calling it - that was the most boring stage that went up a bit that I have ever seen
    :(
    'Do not compare your bike to others, for always there will be greater and lesser bikes'
  • Armstrong called it in his podcast last night that the parcours was perfect nullifying any racing. Turns out he was correct.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,218
    josame said:

Spoilers! pah!
    I'm calling it - that was the most boring stage that went up a bit that I have ever seen

Worse than Tuesday's stage?
  • brundonbianchi
    brundonbianchi Posts: 689
    edited September 2020
    It seems that there actually is a ‘nod / wink’ inter team agreement then. Piss about until the TT, then get the balls out and take the glory in Paris. I’d be surprised if the race comes to life properly.
  • hypster
    hypster Posts: 1,229
    Makes the Team Sky era look exciting dunnit?
  • It seems that there actually is a ‘nod / wink’ inter team agreement then. Piss about until the TT, then get the balls out and take the glory in Paris. I’d be surprised if the race comes to life properly.

Yeah OK, I'll remind you of this after Saturday.
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,123
    Pross said:

I think it's simply too early for anyone to put in a big effort with the big mountains starting at the weekend. The lack of racing so far this year probably hasn't helped either as a lot of the riders have probably decided to ride themselves into form a bit in the first week.

To be honest, I don't really blame them. With a mountainous route in addition to the lack of racing in their legs, who is confident they'll be able to perform in week 3? Only burn your matches when you really need to, and save them for the final week.
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    andyrac said:

Pross said:

To be honest, I don't really blame them. With a mountainous route in addition to the lack of racing in their legs, who is confident they'll be able to perform in week 3? Only burn your matches when you really need to, and save them for the final week.

The problem is if you get week 3 without really making any gains on many riders then the threats can come from all sides and are harder to control. The Sky method used to be to go hard on the first climb to thin the field out a little.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Pross said:

josame said:

Spoilers! pah!

Worse than Tuesday's stage?
    I think we're pretending that didn't happen.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,439
    The problem is that there's only 1 team of winners and 1 team of wannabes. The rest don't know how to win, or even how to try and win.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • Dialatron
    Dialatron Posts: 1,101
    Kauto5 said:

Lutsenko powering along like a finely tuned Ferrari engine.

Certainly not the 2020 engine, perhaps the 2019 variant which contained a number of questionable elements apparently.
    Old, fat and that's just the bike.
  • Dialatron said:

Kauto5 said:

Lutsenko powering along like a finely tuned Ferrari engine.

Certainly not the 2020 engine, perhaps the 2019 variant which contained a number of questionable elements apparently.
    More like the 99-05 version perhaps?
  • Am I the only one who thought that was a not terrible stage then?

Nice scenery, an interesting climb, good strong breakaway, and a bit of a fight for the win up the last climb. Not the best ever, but not the worst.
  • The majority are still cocking about, regarding G.C. Possibly they think Covid is going to knacker their efforts, and they just C.B.A.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087

The majority are still cocking about, regarding G.C. Possibly they think Covid is going to knacker their efforts, and they just C.B.A.

You really are a sad piece of work. If you can’t add anything of a constructive note. Just go and droole over your expensive but badly sized bike.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    edited September 2020

Am I the only one who thought that was a not terrible stage then?

Nice scenery, an interesting climb, good strong breakaway, and a bit of a fight for the win up the last climb. Not the best ever, but not the worst.

FWIW, I agree. Thoroughly average in every way...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • It seems that there actually is a ‘nod / wink’ inter team agreement then. Piss about until the TT, then get the balls out and take the glory in Paris. I’d be surprised if the race comes to life properly.

Here's your reminder.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,099

It seems that there actually is a ‘nod / wink’ inter team agreement then. Piss about until the TT, then get the balls out and take the glory in Paris. I’d be surprised if the race comes to life properly.

Here's your reminder.
    Fabulous. Chapeau.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet

• sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460

Tom steels looking gnarly but trim.

lets not start using Kirbyisms. WTF does thaty even mean. Seems to be the adjective he applies to about 50 different situations