TDF 2020 - Stage 3: Nice - Sisteron 198 km *Spoilers*

Comments

• mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,847
    Road furniture
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,535
    Rowe showing is worth yet again, spreads it out to get Bernal safely to 3k.
  • Pross
    DQS running out of lead out riders.
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,041
    Matti66 said:

I thought the ‘theory’ was her daughter was diving Or have i missed the point?

A theory.
    Anyway Grace was in her prime in that movie.

However I'm sure the car was a Sunbeam Alpine MK1 not a Merc, you can see the logo in this shot

BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,689
    Slow mo lead out oh my god
  • Pross
    This is going to be messy.
  • Midgets do well in block headwinds.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • mididoctors
    Treintin not Sagan 3 rd
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • rick_chasey
    Ugh Ewan.

• Ewan did a cracking job there.
  • Pross
    Bennett messes it up and let's Ewan through on the line. Excellent sprint by Ewan who weaved through after staying out of the wind. Everyone somehow gets through safely despite a fairly narrow road and riders going backwards in the wind
  • mididoctors
    No nizolo
  • rick_chasey
    Pross said:

Bennett messes it up and let's Ewan through on the line. Excellent sprint by Ewan who weaved through after staying out of the wind. Everyone somehow gets through safely despite a fairly narrow road and riders going backwards in the wind

Bennett didn’t sprint straight either
  • Pross

Treintin not Sagan 3 rd

Nizzolo wasn't it?
  • That was impressive, he went past Sagan and others like they were standing still.
  • Pross
    That sprint shows why lanes would be a terrible idea. You'd never get past the riders dying in front.
  • Harry182
    Harry182 Posts: 1,169
    Great finish! I Had Bennett for PTP but can't hold that win against Ewan!
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    Brilliant sprint by Ewan.

Even better though was the absolutely exemplary call by Boulting and Millar. Didn't think I'd see the day but they have surpassed Hatch & Kelly for me now untill the last 200m (Bless Ned but he is terrible at seeing who wins on the line)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Pross

Pross said:

Are you still banging that drum? You can't sprint straight on a narrow road with people slowing all around. It very different to what your man did in Poland.
  • Pross
    DQS really aren't very good at looking after a sprinter.
  • lettingthedaysgoby
    lettingthedaysgoby Posts: 1,732
    edited August 2020
    A nice result for Lotto Soudal as well after their terrible first day.
  • rick_chasey
    edited August 2020
    Pross said:

Pross said:

Are you still banging that drum? You can't sprint straight on a narrow road with people slowing all around. It very different to what your man did in Poland.
    At the time people wanted to punish riders for not sprinting straight regardless.

Bennett is by the barriers, starts dying, looks through his legs and drifts.

Either you punish all or none, surely?

• Matti66
    Matti66 Posts: 190
    davidof said:

Matti66 said:

I thought the ‘theory’ was her daughter was diving Or have i missed the point?

A theory.
    Anyway Grace was in her prime in that movie.

However I'm sure the car was a Sunbeam Alpine MK1 not a Merc, you can see the logo in this shot

A nice car , classier than a merc imho . Alvis are nice too...... Sorry about the thread jack .
  • Pross

Pross said:

Pross said:

At the time people wanted to punish riders for not sprinting straight regardless.

I can't speak for others but for me there's a huge difference between wobbling a bit as you tire at the line and deliberately switching lines at high speed in a crowded bunch. Even more difference between that and sticking an arm out as another rider is passing you. I suspect Bennett may have got relegated had Ewan not passed him though.
  • twotoebenny
    twotoebenny Posts: 1,434

Pross said:

Pross said:

We need to put this to bed, Ewan doesn't win if he has to hold a line!!! It was a bad accident with Jakobsen but sh1t happens when racing and sh1t happens when sprinting... the emotion stems from the result of the accident rather than the actual movement. I'm not condoning it but it's a hard game that's why we love it!
  • Pross said:

Pross said:

As much as I dislike Ewan and am trying to channel my inner Richmond Racer, you are starting to sound pathetic, now.

You know exactly the difference between someone leaving their sprint late and swerving to avoid slower traffic and someone who cuts across another rider's line, when he is level and riding tight to the barriers.

Headwind is also a clue.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • rick_chasey
    edited August 2020
    Bennett wasn’t swerving to avoid anything?

Sorry guys why do you think I’m talking about Ewan? I can’t be much clearer when I say Bennett...
  • Pross
    Bennett was just knackered, you even acknowledged that yourself. I know you can tell the difference between the sort of move Groenewegen pulled and a rider on his last legs wobbling a bit so it looks like you're just being argumentative again.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,100
    edited August 2020
    I don't particularly want to get involved in this debate but it did look to me at the time as though Bennett did try to be a little bit naughty as Ewan came past. Maybe it was the camera angle.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,565

Pross said:

Pross said:

Ridiculous. It’s entirely legitimate to come around a rider as he’s slowing for the line and you know it.

Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.