Who wins the Tour de France?

Comments

• If the races completes and both riders stay rubber side down it is a straight up fight between Roglic and Bernal.

I do have a question mark over Roglic's recovery from his crash hence I went for Bernal.

I think Dumoulin will crack and hence not be in the running to win, but I wonder if he could complicate Roglic winning because Jumbo try and protect Dumoulin by keeping both riders in contention?

Pinot to complete the podium.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,154
    edited August 2020

I can't believe you didn't give Pinot his own box :neutral:

It was a mistake rather than intentional
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,691

I do hope it's not Roglic. Is there a duller rider out there?

Yup.
    Tom Dumoulin. :D

.................although Roglic definitely wins the dullest interview competition, "errrrrrrrrrrrr yeah...." in monotone, every time.
    I always have had a soft spot for Jumbo/Rabo, as is well documented here.

I just wish their boy wasn't Roglic, since I just find him dull and he doesn't get me excited.

You're right it'd be dreamy for Tom to win the first Dutch tour in ages with Jumbo, but I can see Jumbo throwing his GC ambitions to the lions to keep Roglic going, which would really disappoint me.
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,041
    sherer said:

no way will the French let Le Tour spread covid-19 all over France. Think if three teams go down that will be it for the race.

lets tray and stay positive and hope no one tests positive

Why not? they have no issue with footie fans coughing their foul covid infested breath all over the place then smashing the country up when they lose a match

BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,100

Yup.

.................although Roglic definitely wins the dullest interview competition, "errrrrrrrrrrrr yeah...." in monotone, every time.

I just wish their boy wasn't Roglic, since I just find him dull and he doesn't get me excited.

You're right it'd be dreamy for Tom to win the first Dutch tour in ages with Jumbo, but I can see Jumbo throwing his GC ambitions to the lions to keep Roglic going, which would really disappoint me.
    As far as I am aware, Dumoulin hasn't done a competitive TT since the 2019 Dauphine but, given his pedigree, you'd have to think that, if he is close going into the penultimate stage, he is in with a great chance. On that basis, surely Jumbo won't sacrifice him to try and prop up a fading Roglic?
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • rick_chasey
    DeadCalm said:

Yup.

As far as I am aware, Dumoulin hasn't done a competitive TT since the 2019 Dauphine but, given his pedigree, you'd have to think that, if he is close going into the penultimate stage, he is in with a great chance. On that basis, surely Jumbo won't sacrifice him to try and prop up a fading Roglic?
    Well in the Chasey school of race tactics, it is *always* better to have people high up GC beyond the team leader.

In which case the Chasey school would be inclined to send said 2nd rider up the road in a difficult to control stage to put the rivals under a lot of pressure.

But I don't think this is how many teams see it, Jumbo included.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    davidof said:

sherer said:

no way will the French let Le Tour spread covid-19 all over France. Think if three teams go down that will be it for the race.

lets tray and stay positive and hope no one tests positive

Why not? they have no issue with footie fans coughing their foul covid infested breath all over the place then smashing the country up when they lose a match

Not entirely convinced that was sanctioned by the French Government or SPF-DMI...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • As long as the winner is riding a Bianchi, I’m happy. Dumoulin or Roglic would be my bet.

It's not about the bike, Nick. I don't remember you ever saying "anyone riding a Btwin", back when AG2R were on them...
    I would quite happily have settled for that, they are great bikes, but there was no realistic way AG2R we’re going to trump the Sky train. And you have no idea just how good the XR4 really is. It’s incredible, you could put a trained monkey on it and get results. It might be a pensioner, but it’s still bloody good.

You two lovers should get a room and a tub of chamois creme and sort it out.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,100

DeadCalm said:

Yup.

Well in the Chasey school of race tactics, it is *always* better to have people high up GC beyond the team leader.

In which case the Chasey school would be inclined to send said 2nd rider up the road in a difficult to control stage to put the rivals under a lot of pressure.

But I don't think this is how many teams see it, Jumbo included.
    I'm a fan of the Chasey school of race tactics (and think that might conceivably work for some of the lesser teams) but don't imagine that Dumoulin is going to be allowed up the road.
    If I were a Dumoulin fan (and I wouldn't be disappointed if he won despite having my own particular favourites) I'd imagine that his best chance is to stay in contact, without attracting too much attention, right up until the penultimate stage and then monster the TT.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,923
    Are people thinking Dumoulin will win a mountain TT up the Planches des Belles Filles? Surely it's a TT for the climbers.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,111

Are people thinking Dumoulin will win a mountain TT up the Planches des Belles Filles? Surely it's a TT for the climbers.

It's a flat TT with an 8 km climb at the end, a climb that is only really hard for the final 500 metres.

• focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,202

Yikes!
  • rick_chasey

Pre knee f*ck up I would say that TT course was best suited to him.
  • andyp said:

It's a flat TT with an 8 km climb at the end, a climb that is only really hard for the final 500 metres.

Cor you are a tough audience if you reckon that's a flat course with a moderate climb at the end.

Just read on VR chat that Mrs Roglic has said it's still not certain that her man will be at the Grand Depart.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,111

andyp said:

Cor you are a tough audience if you reckon that's a flat course with a moderate climb at the end.
    It's too short to be a truly tough climb. Anyway, the stage is on the last Saturday of the race where everyone is on their knees so it comes down to who has the most left in the tank. I can't see anyone having enough left to turn over a large deficit, but if you've only got a lead of, say, 30 seconds to a minute then a better TT rider could overcome that.

All bets are off though, the last TT of a GT almost always throws up surprises.

• zest28
    zest28 Posts: 403

If the races completes and both riders stay rubber side down it is a straight up fight between Roglic and Bernal.

I do have a question mark over Roglic's recovery from his crash hence I went for Bernal.

I think Dumoulin will crack and hence not be in the running to win, but I wonder if he could complicate Roglic winning because Jumbo try and protect Dumoulin by keeping both riders in contention?

Pinot to complete the podium.

Dumoulin is not in contention, he is over the hill really.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087

As long as the winner is riding a Bianchi, I’m happy. Dumoulin or Roglic would be my bet.

It's not about the bike, Nick. I don't remember you ever saying "anyone riding a Btwin", back when AG2R were on them...
    I would quite happily have settled for that, they are great bikes, but there was no realistic way AG2R we’re going to trump the Sky train. And you have no idea just how good the XR4 really is. It’s incredible, you could put a trained monkey on it and get results. It might be a pensioner, but it’s still bloody good.

It would appear you need more than a trained monkey on one as three folk on them couldn’t catch one man on a canyon.
  • RichN95.
    zest28 said:

Dumoulin is not in contention, he is over the hill really.

He's younger than Roglic, Pinot, Quintana and Landa
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,202
    As long as he's over the hill quicker than the rest, jobs a goodun.
  • rick_chasey
    Was it deliberate to make Roglic red (vuelta winner), and Bernal yellow (tour winner) on this?

If so, why wasn't Tom pink?
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,616

Was it deliberate to make Roglic red (vuelta winner), and Bernal yellow (tour winner) on this?

Or brown...
  • RichN95.
    edited August 2020

Just coincidence. Anyway wouldn't Carapaz be the one in pink?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,540
    Very Reservoir Dogs
  • Real torn,
    I think carapaz as the tour might finish at the end of week one. But Roglic if it goes to two weeks or Quintana if it goes the full three. About time he came good.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,540
    I wonder if there'll be a strategy for the teams with a couple of options to get one of their riders in yellow early to cover the risk of the race getting cut short?
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,620
    I have tried to find inner peace with it, but if this thread is going to be popular, please can the title be changed to "who will win"
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196

andyp said:

Just read on VR chat that Mrs Roglic has said it's still not certain that her man will be at the Grand Depart.
    Looks like the Bologna TT from the Giro (i.e., the one on Zwift...) but longer.
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,517

I have tried to find inner peace with it, but if this thread is going to be popular, please can the title be changed to "who will win"

You & me both.
  • It's been hinted at before, but if Pinot is in Yellow ahead of the TT I expect the race to be stopped 'because of the C19 risk to the race'
  • It's been hinted at before, but if Pinot is in Yellow ahead of the TT I expect the race to be stopped 'because of the C19 risk to the race'

The only way pinot will be in yellow is if he crashes through a patisserie window into the Mille-Feuille display.