Fat liver and ? Diabetes???

2»

Comments

• Munsford0
    Munsford0 Posts: 655
    Well done on the weight loss so far!

I found out I had gallstones when I woke up in agony one night after a particularly fatty meal. Carted off in an ambulance once the paramedics were happy I was no longer tachycardic. Ultrasound later showed my gallbladder was stuffed full of the things, so anxious to avoid a repeat occurrence I was happy to let the consultant whip the thing out. Now it seems I can eat what I like without pain.

My last job was a nightmare because of all the cakes, chocolates and biscuits people kept bringing in. Right in my line of sight, and me with the impulse control of a labrador.

Only way I've ever been successful in shedding and then maintaining weight is 5:2 eating. For some reason I'm able to get through a day on 600 cals knowing I can eat what I like the next day. So I'm on 5:2 or 6:1 all the time, and don't put on weight regardless of what I eat the rest of the time. Plus I now have a job where I'm on my feet and doing physical work a lot of the time
  • johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    @Munsford0 I’m beginning to think I need to get on the surgical list. Most weeks I have 4-5 days of discomfort across my middle and pain into my back. Keen to avoid surgery though so I’ll stick with it for a bit longer
  • Changing your diet long term is hard. I've got coronary artery disease, runs in the family, so am on Crestor but also have modified my diet over the past several years. I tried doing it all at once but it was too hard and too much of a burden on the family. (Turns out not everyone likes brown rice 3x a week...amazing that).

I did a reset about 2 years ago and decided that I needed to cheat now and then. So what I do is control 2/3 of my eating carefully (breakfasts and lunches), and redistribute dinner portions. So if we have, say, chicken in mustard cream sauce for dinner with roasted potatoes, spinach and salad, I'll have half as much chicken, and more spinach/salad. I basically eat zero saturated fat or complex carbs for breakfast/lunch.

As for homeopathic remedies such as green tea...there is basically zero scientific evidence that I've found credible, unfortunately. And wrt lowering cholesterol, sadly it's almost all down to genetics. So, if I'm honest with myself, I'm probably not really accomplishing anything with my diet plan (except keeping my weight down a bit), but it makes me feel like I'm keeping the inevitable at bay...
  • Cargobike
    Cargobike Posts: 748
    def_defyr said:

Changing your diet long term is hard. I've got coronary artery disease, runs in the family, so am on Crestor but also have modified my diet over the past several years. I tried doing it all at once but it was too hard and too much of a burden on the family. (Turns out not everyone likes brown rice 3x a week...amazing that).

I did a reset about 2 years ago and decided that I needed to cheat now and then. So what I do is control 2/3 of my eating carefully (breakfasts and lunches), and redistribute dinner portions. So if we have, say, chicken in mustard cream sauce for dinner with roasted potatoes, spinach and salad, I'll have half as much chicken, and more spinach/salad. I basically eat zero saturated fat or complex carbs for breakfast/lunch.

As for homeopathic remedies such as green tea...there is basically zero scientific evidence that I've found credible, unfortunately. And wrt lowering cholesterol, sadly it's almost all down to genetics. So, if I'm honest with myself, I'm probably not really accomplishing anything with my diet plan (except keeping my weight down a bit), but it makes me feel like I'm keeping the inevitable at bay...

Why should your diet dictate what the rest of your family eats? I've lost over 100lbs now mainly through changes to my diet and would far rather eat brown rice everyday with lots of salad and veg than go back to where I was before. All I do is batch cook my food at the weekend and then I can concebtrate on cooking for others during the rest of the week, knowing that my specific needs are already catered for.
  • johngti
    It’s been ok to be honest. I know I was eating too much processed food and junk calories so cutting those out was a good thing. I do miss the occasional beer at the end of a busy week but since I’ve not been a big drinker for years I can cope. I have snuck the odd biscuit in but that’s been no more than about 6 or 7 in three months. I also have a cheat night every now and again where we have a takeaway curry - chicken or fish dansak, plain boiled rice and a chapatti so again, not awful. I don’t touch the popadoms they send for free. So now the weight is getting towards my target and better habits are settling in I can turn some attention to upping the exercise load.

CHD and COPD is in the family via my mum who smoked (heavily) for 50 years so I’m not especially worried about that. My cholesterol level was 4.9 in the summer so within tolerable levels. My old man has high cholesterol that’s controlled well by statins - he’s barely changed his diet!
  • johngti
    Unsolicited update time. After a couple of weeks of not losing or gaining anything, it appears that a weekly treat night has helped kick start things again! Today’s weight was 75-and a bit kg so the original target of 75kg by Xmas seems like it’s going to happen. It’d be silly to not push on to 70kg now wouldn’t it.

More riding and following the C25k programme with my eldest son seems to be working well. Pain in my knees has all but gone, my hips are gaining more flexibility and the fizik Aliante I currently use on my turbo bike is now uncomfortable as the shape makes it dig in to my bits (that’ll be on sale soon). I’m mostly following a Sufferfest training plan, including yoga (which I’m rubbish at).

On Sunday’s ride with a couple of buddies I didn’t really feel like I was holding them up, which was nice, and I made it up a (short) climb of 27%, which was surprising, especially since I was in the wrong gear.

Anyway, all going well, since you asked ;)
  • johngti
    So, latest unsolicited update. Xmas eve, weight is 75.1kg. I’m going to call that as target met. Aim at 72kg next but that could take a while.

Anyway, merry Christmas to everyone and a happy new year 🥳
  • johngti said:

So, latest unsolicited update. Xmas eve, weight is 75.1kg. I’m going to call that as target met. Aim at 72kg next but that could take a while.

Anyway, merry Christmas to everyone and a happy new year 🥳

We're easing into winter, never a good time to lose weight. Plateau through the grim months, re-group and go for it again in the spring.

If it was easy everyone would be doing it and hitting their targets. It isn't, but you have to perservere.
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    Cargobike said:

We're easing into winter, never a good time to lose weight. Plateau through the grim months, re-group and go for it again in the spring.

If it was easy everyone would be doing it and hitting their targets. It isn't, but you have to perservere.

I would agree with both those things.

@johngti you've made excellent progress. Your weight may plateau but don't worry about it, the most important thing is that you're in the habit of eating so much better now. :)
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.