The cyclist, her drugs, her boss, her underwear and her coach

Comments

• andyrr said:

MattFalle said:

larkim said:

I don't think it is weird at all to recognise when someone has reflected on their misdemeanors and ultimately made genuine apology and some reparation. No cheat wants to get caught, and few cheats will have the ability to publicly own up to their cheating immediately on being caught.

genuine apoligy?

reparation?

utter bollox.

no difference between dopey millar and all the other drug fuelled lying cheats.
    Care to explain with reasoned argument ?
    Millar lied when 1st brought in the the French police - just as many would when they see their livelihood about to come crashing down. He then splurged the whole sordid tale it seems including saying that the choices were his own whilst the environment at the time encouraged such behaviour - essentially the people around him made him think that not taking PEDs meant not applying yourself 100% to your job.
    I read his book. Apparently all his best performances were when he wasn't on anything, and he named no other names.
    Didn't read it that carefully then. He fessed up to using EPO to win the World TT in 2003 and had the title stripped. They had no evidence of when he'd used (no test +vs etc) so they relied on his confession.
  • andyrr said:

MattFalle said:

larkim said:

I don't think it is weird at all to recognise when someone has reflected on their misdemeanors and ultimately made genuine apology and some reparation. No cheat wants to get caught, and few cheats will have the ability to publicly own up to their cheating immediately on being caught.

genuine apoligy?

reparation?

utter bollox.

Millar lied when 1st brought in the the French police - just as many would when they see their livelihood about to come crashing down. He then splurged the whole sordid tale it seems including saying that the choices were his own whilst the environment at the time encouraged such behaviour - essentially the people around him made him think that not taking PEDs meant not applying yourself 100% to your job.
    I read his book. Apparently all his best performances were when he wasn't on anything, and he named no other names.
    Didn't read it that carefully then. He fessed up to using EPO to win the World TT in 2003 and had the title stripped. They had no evidence of when he'd used (no test +vs etc) so they relied on his confession.
    And all his other big performances were on clean days then. Right.
  • andyrr said:

MattFalle said:

larkim said:

genuine apoligy?

reparation?

utter bollox.

You said 'all his best' , unless you weren't counting his winning the World Title as one of his best days?........
  • andyrr said:

MattFalle said:

larkim said:

genuine apoligy?

reparation?

utter bollox.

You said 'all his best' , unless you weren't counting his winning the World Title as one of his best days?........
    Meh, maybe I was being unfair. Seems appropriate so I don't care.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    that all as maybe but he is a lying doping cheat who stole other people's hard work because he is a lying doping cheat who was convicted and being a lying doping cheat so deserves to be treated the same as all the others.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • I feel there should be some randomiser, like a wheel of fortune style spin to decide the length of a ban. Oh, it's landed on 10 years, so sorry. Seems a bit unfair, does it?
  • MattFalle
    Or just a blanket ban them all for life as they are all lying doping cheats no matter how British or posh you are.
  • MattFalle said:

Or just a blanket ban them all for life as they are all lying doping cheats no matter how British or posh you are.

No, I enjoy hearing them moan about how unfair it is that someone else got away with a short ban when they have a life sentence.
  • MattFalle
    I must admit that yeah, its kinda good fun.

Its also good fun to hear the book of excuses being turned to a new page, or should we say chapter.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    Why TF are we dragging up something that someone did nearly 20 years ago that they may/may not be sorry for? What's that got to do with this one?
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • MattFalle
    it covers the gammut of hypocrisy as posted above
  • MattFalle
    they are both/all cheats so deserve to be treated the same regardless of nationality/poshness/p.a. agency
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,612
    Got an opinion on, say, Bertie Contador? Or is he ok because he denied it all / blamed dodgy beef / waited for the Spanish court system to delete the evidence?
  • MattFalle
    orraloon said:

Got an opinion on, say, Bertie Contador? Or is he ok because he denied it all / blamed dodgy beef / waited for the Spanish court system to delete the evidence?

same as, geezer.

convicted of cheating by the governing body of the sport he raced under.

they giveth, they taketh, 'tis their ball to take away.

you play by the rules or go somewhere else.

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    Am I missing the people who have said Millar shouldn't have been banned or is someone building a straw man ready for bonfire night?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    I would suggest that the doping landscape was a lot different in 2003 than in 2020. It doesn't excuse it, but the pressures were different.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Pross said:

Am I missing the people who have said Millar shouldn't have been banned or is someone building a straw man ready for bonfire night?

He's a tv commentator, still taking work from clean riders.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    It's almost like every case is different and doesn't bare comparison to others
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • womack
    womack Posts: 566

MattFalle said:

She lied when initially caught, so I don't

pblakeney said:

I'm under pressure for my weight, what should I do? I know, take EPO.
    Sorry, but that doesn't wash.

If at first you don't succeed and all that.
    Seems as if he second story is getting a better reception her first, thanks mainly to those underwear photos.

Anyhow, I'm off to score some Edgar as I have put on a load of weight during lockdown.
    Dopey Millar also lied when first caught but people seem to have forgiven him for some strange, weird, sligthly hypocritical reason....
    Have you forgotten how British he is?

Surely he was only British when he won, the rest of the time he would be Scottish.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,612

Pross said:

Yebbut. He fessed up, did his time. Like say a convicted burglar does his time then behaves, should said ex-burglar still be transported to Oz? Or should such ex-offenders who have done their time and now behave still be banned from oh everything?
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,511
    Pross said:

I think the strawman is that people only dislike Armstrong because he doped.
  • orraloon said:

Pross said:

Yebbut. He fessed up, did his time. Like say a convicted burglar does his time then behaves, should said ex-burglar still be transported to Oz? Or should such ex-offenders who have done their time and now behave still be banned from oh everything?
    A struck off doctor is unlikely to replace Dr Ranj on This Morning.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,583

Pross said:

If only the performance of some of the commentators could be improved with some PEDs
  • MattFalle
    RichN95. said:

I would suggest that the doping landscape was a lot different in 2003 than in 2020. It doesn't excuse it, but the pressures were different.

#bookofexcuses
  • MattFalle
    mrb123 said:

Pross said:

If only the performance of some of the commentators could be improved with some PEDs
    or, in Carlton Kirby's case, a pick axe handle
  • MattFalle
    edited September 2021

You race under UCI rules

You break those rules

You suffer the penalties under ICI rules

If UCI rules say life ban, thats what it is no matter how many clubbies pull the jingoism card

end of.
  • MattFalle
    orraloon said:

Pross said:

He lied

He cheated

He doped

He stole clean riders' dreams and careers through his lying, cheating and doping.

He knew exactly what he was doing every single centimetre of the way.

End of

He's full ofshit with his fake repentance

We don't all sit here and go "oooh, Floyd, lets all forgive him and buy his overpriced clothes because he said sorry" do we?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,243
    U ok hun
  • Pross

Pross said:

But who are these people supporting him because he is posh and British? He gets criticised for his past regularly on here. I don't even think he's a good pundit as some on here say.
  • Pross
    MattFalle said:

You race under UCI rules

You break those rules

You suffer the penalties under ICI rules

If UCI rules say life ban, thats what it is no matter how many clubbies pull the jingoism card

end of.
    Why is a former chemical company's rule book being used to dish out penalties to cyclists?