Heard any good conspiracy theories?

1235»

Comments

• Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    elbowloh said:

Apparently people in the US are selling a cream that blocks the 5g signal, therefore protecting you from COVID...and people are buying it.

There are considerable mounds of money to be made, through immoral but legal methods, in this world.

Should really get on it, tbh.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • john80
    john80 Posts: 2,965
    rjsterry said:

That's not valuing a life. that's assessing the chances of survival and relative clinical need. Worrying that you can't spot the difference.

The lorry example is not assessing the chances of survival. Both groups will die if you run them over with a lorry. In the case of the ICU bed both will die if you don't give it to them.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    back on the conspiracy theory track ....

The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,488
    john80 said:

rjsterry said:

That's not valuing a life. that's assessing the chances of survival and relative clinical need. Worrying that you can't spot the difference.

The lorry example is not assessing the chances of survival. Both groups will die if you run them over with a lorry. In the case of the ICU bed both will die if you don't give it to them.
    Real life does not present such neat choices. There is always someone with slightly better odds. Not to mention we go to quite some lengths to make sure we have enough capacity to avoid such choices.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • john80
    rjsterry said:

john80 said:

rjsterry said:

Real life does not present such neat choices. There is always someone with slightly better odds. Not to mention we go to quite some lengths to make sure we have enough capacity to avoid such choices.
    There are studies on this for driverless cars to programme them to match human perceptions of the world around them. Some of it is quite interesting reading and it certainly crushes that all lives are equal.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,249
    So if you believe not all lives are equal why do you believe in equal rights?
  • john80

Equal rights is not the same as equal outcomes. In an ideal world people should have equality of opportunity/rights but when the ICU ward is full then guess what we start to ration things and this based on the tacit understanding that all lives are not of equal value. Without this you would just me standing in a hospital paralysed into doing nothing the minute there is more need for care than capacity.

In the Manchester arena bombings where in that moment there was clearly more in need of care than care capacity how would you approach this scenario as a layman or a professional?
  • rjsterry
    john80 said:

Equal rights is not the same as equal outcomes. In an ideal world people should have equality of opportunity/rights but when the ICU ward is full then guess what we start to ration things and this based on the tacit understanding that all lives are not of equal value. Without this you would just me standing in a hospital paralysed into doing nothing the minute there is more need for care than capacity.

In the Manchester arena bombings where in that moment there was clearly more in need of care than care capacity how would you approach this scenario as a layman or a professional?
    There have been a few articles doing the rounds, written by ICU staff. They suggest that quite a different way of assessing who has access to care when demand exceeds capacity.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rick_chasey
    You're taking a very narrow approach here.

The guy in question made his statement about lives being more valuable than others beyond the specifics of triage.
  • rjsterry said:

john80 said:

There have been a few articles doing the rounds, written by ICU staff. They suggest that quite a different way of assessing who has access to care when demand exceeds capacity.
    Don’t tease
  • You're taking a very narrow approach here.

The guy in question made his statement about lives being more valuable than others beyond the specifics of triage.

That is how we have all interpreted his statement
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,513

rjsterry said:

john80 said:

Don’t tease
    I would guess it is based on most likely to survive and whether medical intervention is required to survive. As opposed to age. However, most likely to survive is also aligned with things like age and underlying conditions.
  • rick_chasey
    edited January 2021

You're taking a very narrow approach here.

That is how we have all interpreted his statement
    What? Triage? or in general?

Because John is only talking about triage.
  • rjsterry

rjsterry said:

john80 said:

Don’t tease
    I would guess it is based on most likely to survive and whether medical intervention is required to survive. As opposed to age. However, most likely to survive is also aligned with things like age and underlying conditions.
    Broadly, yes. The point being that these are clinical decisions focused on the best outcome for the patients that they can achieve, not evaluations of a person's worth.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• TheBigBean
    rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

john80 said:

Don’t tease
    Broadly, yes. The point being that these are clinical decisions focused on the best outcome for the patients that they can achieve, not evaluations of a person's worth.
    That's the rationale for the medics, but they end up doing the same as NICE just with a different justification. For example, I don't believe that someone who has a 100% chance of survival for a heart transplant, but will die within 12 months, will get a new heart when it could go to someone who will live longer.

Ultimately, it is one of those things that people don't want to be true, but sometimes difficult choices need to be made.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,615
    Difficult choices do need to get made.

Been down the Do Not Resuscitate (DNR) agreement road. Twice. Difficult. But correct.
  • TheBigBean
    Incidentally, I haven't read Sumption's comments, but the general opinion seems to be that it is fine for medicine, but that extending it to the whole lockdown argument is more of a stretch.
  • rjsterry

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

john80 said:

Don’t tease
    That's the rationale for the medics, but they end up doing the same as NICE just with a different justification. For example, I don't believe that someone who has a 100% chance of survival for a heart transplant, but will die within 12 months, will get a new heart when it could go to someone who will live longer.

Ultimately, it is one of those things that people don't want to be true, but sometimes difficult choices need to be made.
    I don't think anyone has a 100% chance of survival from a heart transplant. They are already in suffiently short supply that decisions are always difficult. I would still argue that this is qualitatively different from assigning comparative values to different individuals.

Clearly there are people who do view those with health issues as somehow of less worth, but I doubt many work in health care.
    Pinnacle Monzonite