Heard any good conspiracy theories?

Comments

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,938
    A twitter search on 'Bill Gates' is mindblowing.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • nickice
    nickice Posts: 2,439

That the virus has been circulating in the UK before we are told it has been.

I don't buy this because we would have seen deaths of the elderly and vulnerable sooner if that was the case

They posthumously tested someone in Valencia who died on 13 February and they tested positive. It almost certainly was in the UK before the first official cases but its exponential growth takes a while to get going. People may have died of it but not been diagnosed and it's probably more likely to infect younger people as they go out more etc.
  • nickice

shortfall said:

Much easier to try and marginalize me as a tinfoil hat nutter despite having the same opinions on the threat to civil liberties as a Supreme Court Judge

So let's be clear then. Do you or do you not believe that the current government intends to keep any of the emergency restrictions in place once the emergency is over?
    You wouldn't expect so as it would make no economic sense but they will be easier to introduce in the next crisis. There may also be some powers that are not revoked. I don't think it's conspiracy theory level stuff to be worried about the severe restrictions on civil liberties. There is always a 'good' reason for such measures.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,202

A twitter search on 'Bill Gates' is mindblowing.

Yeah I was rather surprised. He's planning to give the majority of his money away to people who need it, what don't they get?

Perhaps he should p1ss his wealth up on a mission to Mars, he'd be adored then.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Which seems to prove that twitter serves no useful purpose.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,663
    nickice said:

I don't buy this because we would have seen deaths of the elderly and vulnerable sooner if that was the case

They posthumously tested someone in Valencia who died on 13 February and they tested positive. It almost certainly was in the UK before the first official cases but its exponential growth takes a while to get going. People may have died of it but not been diagnosed and it's probably more likely to infect younger people as they go out more etc.
    They did officially revise the date of the first UK death back to late February the other day, for exactly the reason you suggest.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/02/coronavirus-took-hold-in-uk-earlier-than-thought-data-reveals
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • nickice
    rjsterry said:

nickice said:

They did officially revise the date of the first UK death back to late February the other day, for exactly the reason you suggest.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/02/coronavirus-took-hold-in-uk-earlier-than-thought-data-reveals
    A death on 13/02 would give us an infection at least two weeks prior to that. If the deceased was elderly (as they probably were) you wouldn't expect them to be the first to be infected. I think it's quite possible that the virus appeared in London in December/January but, like I said above, it takes a while to get going and it was probably young people who got it first. All of this is a guesstimate but it's not really a conspiracy theory. It's very common for new viruses to have been around for longer than originally estimated.
  • rjsterry
    Agreed.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    nickice said:

rjsterry said:

nickice said:

A death on 13/02 would give us an infection at least two weeks prior to that. If the deceased was elderly (as they probably were) you wouldn't expect them to be the first to be infected. I think it's quite possible that the virus appeared in London in December/January but, like I said above, it takes a while to get going and it was probably young people who got it first. All of this is a guesstimate but it's not really a conspiracy theory. It's very common for new viruses to have been around for longer than originally estimated.
    My SiL travels to China a lot, I saw her a couple of weeks before Xmas. I felt like sh1t for most of the two weeks over Xmas with many of the symptoms.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,773
    My wife did just raise the point that it has taken the spotlight off Andrew.
    A wild accusation, but..... 😉
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,686
    As posted earlier
    orraloon said:

Prince Charles is isolating in Scotland with Covid-19. Prince Andrew is isolating in Windsor with Jennifer-14.

• morstar

nickice said:

rjsterry said:

nickice said:

My SiL travels to China a lot, I saw her a couple of weeks before Xmas. I felt like censored for most of the two weeks over Xmas with many of the symptoms.
    Problem is one of the winter bugs had very similar symptoms. I’d almost swear me and the mrs had had covid-19 were it not for the fact I got ill in late September and her in October.
    She got admitted to hospital her breathing got so laboured.
  • surrey_commuter
    morstar said:

nickice said:

rjsterry said:

nickice said:

My SiL travels to China a lot, I saw her a couple of weeks before Xmas. I felt like censored for most of the two weeks over Xmas with many of the symptoms.
    Problem is one of the winter bugs had very similar symptoms. I’d almost swear me and the mrs had had covid-19 were it not for the fact I got ill in late September and her in October.
    On the conspiracy thread that should be taken as incontrovertible proof that it was here in Sept.
  • morstar

morstar said:

nickice said:

rjsterry said:

nickice said:

On the conspiracy thread that should be taken as incontrovertible proof that it was here in Sept.
    In that case, I’ll post it on Facebook as fact. I did get a new mobile phone around that time although it wasn’t 5G.
    This must mean 4G is also infected.
  • surrey_commuter
    morstar said:

morstar said:

nickice said:

rjsterry said:

nickice said:

In that case, I’ll post it on Facebook as fact. I did get a new mobile phone around that time although it wasn’t 5G.
    This must mean 4G is also infected.
    Or they gave you a free upgrade to 5G so that you would not suspect anything.
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,946
    I read a comment on one of the '5G causes coronavirus' type youtube videos, it started off with "I know nothing about physics but....". Nuff said.

The older I get, the better I was.

• schlepcycling
    schlepcycling Posts: 1,614
    Can I start a conspiracy theory that Boris isn't infected and in hospital and that this story is being put out to garner sympathy for Boris and reinforce the anyone can catch it message, same goes for Prince Charles except in his case it's just a smokescreen to cover his unnecessary journey to Scotland.

*I don't believe either of the above
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    I have it on good authority that Boris is really too ill to run the country, but refuses to hand over to Raab as he claims he can't live on the £95 pw sick pay
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,005
    Trump’s Covfefe tweet was actually a misspelling of COVID-19. The tweet was cut short and never fully explained because he wasn’t supposed to know about it yet. Those who slipped up in telling him about it took part in the manufacturing of the virus
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,946
    I've stopped looking at conspiracy theories. I watched a couple about corona/5G on Youtube on Monday and became too depressed at the stupidity, both from those that put up the video and the absolute prats who then agree with it.

The older I get, the better I was.

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,540
    I was looking out of the window a few minutes ago at a completely cloud free, perfectly blue sky but it was crossed by two vapour trails. Considering virtually all flights are grounded I find it implausible that two planes would have gone over in such a short space of time and it is therefore incontrovertible evidence that the Government is using chem trails to control us and make sure we keep to the lockdown rules.
  • orraloon
    Nah, 'tain't da Gummint in control, it's the new world order Illuminati lizard people global bankers flying super-drones over to make sure their country specific subordinates like Blojo and his tribe are following their orders, or else.
  • The new Bikeradar forum software is really good...
  • morstar
    Just thought this one up myself.
    They are looking into DNA to identify why people are experiencing different degrees of infection.
    This is a planted virus in order to get a global DNA database through voluntary means.
    They can then control us through...
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,773
    ^^^
    Nice one! A bit costly in all senses but the tin foil hat brigade would love it.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • morstar
    pblakeney said:

^^^
    Nice one! A bit costly in all senses but the tin foil hat brigade would love it.

It’s fact!
    You read it on the internet!
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,938

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • rjsterry
    Jeepers, that's depressing.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• orraloon
    rjsterry said:

Well, don't effin' read it then.
  • rjsterry
    orraloon said:

rjsterry said:

Well, don't effin' read it then.
    I mean on one hand I suppose it shows some creativity, but that level of idiocy does rather test your faith in humanity.
    Pinnacle Monzonite