Heard any good conspiracy theories?

Comments

• orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,694
    Is a well known fact that 52% of humans are morons.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,805
    That, and 98% of statistics are made up. 😉
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    Heard too many conspiracy theories of late. But I am intrigued why the FTSE100 is on the rise when the economy is on its 4rse.
    Are the boards of corporations buying shares in their own companies at rock bottom prices and by dint of this seeing the values and personal wealth increase?
    I know nothing of how the stock exchange works, but was told that it is perhaps not within the rules to be doing this.
    Perhaps someone could enlighten me......

..... If ever there was a perfect teeing up for my nemesis in Surrey to shoot me down then I couldn't have done any better than posting something on city trading. Am reaching for my Anti- City Trader Tin Hat.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,589
    I have no knowledge of the trading of shares but my guess is simply that investors realise many of the companies are under valued over the longer term due to the market crash. Obviously the art / science is in identifying the ones that will recover well and ignoring those that may have been mortally wounded. Some airline shares will probably recover and go on to be worth more when the weaker ones collapse and supply is restricted.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    edited April 2020
    mr_goo said:

Heard too many conspiracy theories of late. But I am intrigued why the FTSE100 is on the rise when the economy is on its 4rse.
    Are the boards of corporations buying shares in their own companies at rock bottom prices and by dint of this seeing the values and personal wealth increase?
    I know nothing of how the stock exchange works, but was told that it is perhaps not within the rules to be doing this.

..... If ever there was a perfect teeing up for my nemesis in Surrey to shoot me down then I couldn't have done any better than posting something on city trading. Am reaching for my Anti- City Trader Tin Hat.

They are not doing share buy-backs. That's been ruled out by pretty much every firm because of what's going on. Investors want firms to stay afloat, not waste precious cash on buy-backs.

Great question why shares arn't deeper in the floor. No-one really has too many answers but in short, here are some ideas, which may or may not be right.

1) they have already dropped a lot during the crash last month.
    2) the extent to which the economy is screwed has not yet been fully realised
    2a) the extent or not of government intervention is not yet known. Easy jet may be totally screwed for example, but would the UK gov't let it go bust, or would it bail it out - in which case, quids in.

3) I understand that for institutional money, which will be the bulk of the money in these firms, the crash happened so fast that a lot of investors didn't really have a chance to pull their money out and now they're in, why sell now and realise the losses from the crash - especially if you are a long term investor.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    The virus is just phase 1 of the mind control project.

Phase two is the vaccine which contains nanobots to control our central nervous system.

And guess how the signals are transmitted to the nanobots?

Yep, 5G.

How can you fools not see this?
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941

There's a lovely one brewing in Irish Right Wing Anti Vaxx Twitter, that the entire thing is fabricated.

You may remember Jim Corr as the brother late 90's pop/Irish band The Corrs.

Well, he's gone a bit mad

https://twitter.com/Jimcorrsays

His Twitter account now suspended.

Irish Right Wing Anti Vaxx Twitter currently analysing the license plate of the van delivering the first doses of vaccine to Ireland.

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    Jedward - the surprise heroes of lockdown...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Pross

There's a lovely one brewing in Irish Right Wing Anti Vaxx Twitter, that the entire thing is fabricated.

You may remember Jim Corr as the brother late 90's pop/Irish band The Corrs.

Well, he's gone a bit mad

https://twitter.com/Jimcorrsays

His Twitter account now suspended.

Irish Right Wing Anti Vaxx Twitter currently analysing the license plate of the van delivering the first doses of vaccine to Ireland.

I assume he's taking the mick out of conspiracy theorists?
  • rick_chasey
    The verbier rona story was fake news.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    Allegedly bicycle factories bodge cable outers so that people have to take new bikes back to the shop for a free six week/100 mile service.

#ihearditonTheStreet

The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • joe2019
    joe2019 Posts: 1,338
    mr_goo said:

They simply priced in a recession at the crash.

The US stock markets are at their highest levels ever, the FTSE is floundering in comparison.
  • rick_chasey
    shortfall said:

Well. I've just listened to the Lord Sumption interview on Radio 4 World At One and he goes a lot further than I have done in criticising the new police and state powers, in fact he absolutely excoriates the actions of Derbyshire Police Force. I urge anyone interested to listen on BBC Sounds, it takes place about 15 minutes into the show. Remember he is one of our foremost legal minds, a former Supreme Court Judge and a highly respected commentator. Some might even call him an "expert" and I know we must listen to expert opinions because the CakeStoperrati constantly remind us to. Before anyone jumps in with the argument that he's a legal expert and not a virologist of epidimiologist, he covers that point in the interview. For those of you bored of me banging on about civil liberties please listen to this interview and if you still think I'm boring, feel free to mute me.

@shortfall

Here’s your mate Lord Sumption:

• Wifi spreads covid. So foil over your head covering up you mouth and nose too stops you getting it. If you don't breathe you can't get it. I just made that up.
    www.thecycleclinic.co.uk
  • Pross

shortfall said:

Well. I've just listened to the Lord Sumption interview on Radio 4 World At One and he goes a lot further than I have done in criticising the new police and state powers, in fact he absolutely excoriates the actions of Derbyshire Police Force. I urge anyone interested to listen on BBC Sounds, it takes place about 15 minutes into the show. Remember he is one of our foremost legal minds, a former Supreme Court Judge and a highly respected commentator. Some might even call him an "expert" and I know we must listen to expert opinions because the CakeStoperrati constantly remind us to. Before anyone jumps in with the argument that he's a legal expert and not a virologist of epidimiologist, he covers that point in the interview. For those of you bored of me banging on about civil liberties please listen to this interview and if you still think I'm boring, feel free to mute me.

@shortfall

Here’s your mate Lord Sumption:

One of our foremost legal minds.
  • rick_chasey
    He goes on to correct a woman who has bowel cancer when she paraphrases his logic, suggesting that he puts no value on her life by saying it’s not no value at all, just less than others😲
  • Your not conspiracy theorist if you are concerned about whether restriction will be relaxed. In fact i would argue your far to relaxed about loss of freedoms if this is not at the back of mind.

Its also not a conspiracy theory to think that restrictions wont be relaxed for good soon. Since the start theee has been far too much optimism about how soon the pandemic subsides. New variants could push thebpansemic onto 2022. The ecomonic harm will.be long lasting and the poltical consequences unpredictable except nationalism is on the rise everywhere and thats not going away. A new disease could emerge after this one passes.

I am not a conspiracy theorist but i don't expected the cycle of restriction being tightened and then relaxed to end any time soon.

There are civil liberty implications. People accept restrictions because they are told it will be over soon. Would people be as happy with restriction if they where in place for 5 years. Its possible.

Its also not a conspiracy theory to worry about the hoarding of powers by ministers. We are being governed/ruled by dictat. Parliament rubber stamps it all after decisions are announced and put into effect for all intense and purposes. One should not expect that style of government to change should restrictions get eased for good. Power corrupts. Thats a law of nature.

The concerns stem from observed trends, noises from government, lack of accountability, a feeling of powerlessness (mps seen to have less impact than they should), feeling like your vote gets ignored.....

I would not dimiss those that have concerns about our collective future. The more we see life from others point of view the happy our society is. I am not sure why in britain we sit in these view point silos.
    www.thecycleclinic.co.uk
  • orraloon
    Not taking a pro or con position. But in the cold hard reality of logic, choose one of a healthy individual or a chronically / terminally ill individual to invest in... When the MMT stops delivering, who gets the last apple?

And no I have not listened to the programme but have noticed various mentions of it around and about.
  • orraloon said:

Not taking a pro or con position. But in the cold hard reality of logic, choose one of a healthy individual or a chronically / terminally ill individual to invest in... When the MMT stops delivering, who gets the last apple?

And no I have not listened to the programme but have noticed various mentions of it around and about.

I think he is just guilty of being brutally honest
  • rick_chasey

orraloon said:

Nonsense.

Can you explain to me how the logic used is not the same logic involved in eugenics?
  • Pross

orraloon said:

I think he's just guilty of saying controversial things to get attention and keep people paying him to write opinion pieces. I've previously linked to an article from a legal profession magazine that says he's viewed as inconsistent.
  • Its quite clear in public policy, the way resources are allocated and many other spheres that not lives are equal. Why would they be not every vote is equal. If your a black male and my age your chance of dying this year is 50% higher than mine. Since that inequality persists it must be a black life is worth less and its too expensive to correct the inequality. I won't make a judgement about scumption based on a clip.

In all thing we say one thing and do another. We all say that needs correcting and then tacitly accept the status quo. Thats why nothing changes. How is that different to scumptions comment that he not accept all lives are worth the same.

Of course one has to understand what he meant by worth. He may mean impact. Some lives have a bigger impact on the rest of us than others. Depending on the impact that can be turned into worth. This is why judging what he said without interrogating what he meant is not wise.

We all speak the same language and yet we hear different things from the same word.
    www.thecycleclinic.co.uk
  • orraloon
    Who do you want to be on the Supreme Court bench? People who deal with cold hard facts and apply cold hard logic, or those who deploy emotion and feelings? Tough thing life innit.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,203
    In that statement he took away people in dire situations hope. I can't believe a person as intelligent, holding that position could think at 10:00am live on a Sunday that was reasonable thing to say.

I also blame the BBC knowing his stance putting him on at this time, given the current situation. Mind you, if you can decide spending 86 million pounds on a set for such drivel as Eastenders is reasonable, clearly you aren't fit for purpose.
  • john80
    john80 Posts: 2,965

orraloon said:

Nonsense.

Can you explain to me how the logic used is not the same logic involved in eugenics?
    So Rick you have got a 18 year old with no existing health problems and a 80 year old in front of you. You only have one ICU bed. If all lives are equal the who do you give it to. Given that the discussion was about covid where do you stand. Maybe you don't save either because if their lives are both equal then maybe they should both die.

People make judgements on the worth of s life all the time. Whether that be choosing which group of people to crash into when the brakes fail on their lorry. Spoiler alert people almost universally run over the pensioners rather than the mum pushing the pram. Yet again you are claiming out of context.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,699
    That's not valuing a life. that's assessing the chances of survival and relative clinical need. Worrying that you can't spot the difference.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Apparently people in the US are selling a cream that blocks the 5g signal, therefore protecting you from COVID...and people are buying it.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,642
    rjsterry said:

That's not valuing a life. that's assessing the chances of survival and relative clinical need. Worrying that you can't spot the difference.

That's not how NICE works though. They have a unit for it QALY.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,699
    edited January 2021

rjsterry said:

That's for assessment of whether to particular treatments should be provided at all, not clinical decisions for individuals.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,642
    rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

That's for assessment of whether to particular treatments should be provided at all, not clinical decisions for individuals.
    Are you sure? I thought it was clear that £1m would be spent saving a kid, but not an 80 year old.