Virtual TdF in 2020, why not?

13»

Comments

• andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,111

I have zero interest in any virtual racing when there is so much historical content available on YouTube etc.

For instance everybody bemoans the fact that there hasn't been a wet Paris-Roubaix in ages, so why not watch the edition that CW picked as their one to watch: 1994?
    Taking a wild guess here but I doubt many forumites have seen it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGlAQ0HECNg

I watched it live on Eurosport.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,153
    edited April 2020
    Pross said:

A virtual P-R would be pointless, the whole race is about battling for position to avoid crashing or mechanicals on the cobbles. Without that it would just be a virtually flat and featureless race. To make virtual racing bearable we need to wait until the software and hardware can properly adjust to road surfaces and movement so that if you make a mistake on your cornering or get too close to a rider in front you crash as you would in real life.

The key to success for this sort of racing is not to try and replicate what already exists. Either (ideally) do custom designed courses or visit places that are not on the WT calendar. A race up Teide, Puy de Dome, great courses in Africa, South America etc. Imagine a race along one of those crazy Andean roads where riders actually can fall into the ravines if they overdo a bend.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,689
    Rain forecast in Roubaix on Sunday apparently.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,538
    RichN95. said:

Pross said:

A virtual P-R would be pointless, the whole race is about battling for position to avoid crashing or mechanicals on the cobbles. Without that it would just be a virtually flat and featureless race. To make virtual racing bearable we need to wait until the software and hardware can properly adjust to road surfaces and movement so that if you make a mistake on your cornering or get too close to a rider in front you crash as you would in real life.

The key to success for this sort of racing is not to try and replicate what already exists. Either (ideally) do custom designed courses or visit places that are not on the WT calendar. A race up Teide, Puy de Dome, great courses in Africa, South America etc. Imagine a race along one of those crazy Andean roads where riders actually can fall into the ravines if they overdo a bend.
    The RGT app does Cap de Formentor (and also the Stelvio).
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,153
    Another e-Race tomorrow with the whole Ineos team racing against each other

Twitter: @RichN95
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,770
    Which team will be the winner? The one which knows how to game the best.
    Or are they doing away with these features?
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    My money is on a group of Team Ineos riders :)
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    edited April 2020
    Geraint Thomas has just announced that he's going to be doing some 12-hour Zwift rides for charity.

Tempted to tune in for the novelty of Thomas cycling for 12 hours without contriving to fall off, wander into a ditch etc etc