Looking on the bright side!

Comments

• pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,324
    edited April 2020

And honey in the pyramids.

That was edible?!
    But there is something quite extraordinary about pyramids (of a particular dimension) and the preservation of organic matter.

seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,002
    Can I sell you one of these Pinno?

• pinno
    Not for 300 fucking quid.

I sell them at Pinno's pop up shop for a tenner each.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,738
    edited April 2020
    pinno said:

And honey in the pyramids.

That was edible?!
    But there is something quite extraordinary about pyramids (of a particular dimension) and the preservation of organic matter.

Apparently it would be, and naturally. Maybe just a little crystallised.
    If your honey goes off then it is not the real thing.
    https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/the-science-behind-honeys-eternal-shelf-life-1218690/

Edit:- I knew that but had to Google to be sure.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pinno
    pblakeney said:

Edit:- I knew that but had to Google to be sure.

Interesting article (if you have time to read it. Ha ha).

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,459
    Just imagine how few fines traffic wardens and speed camera operatives are dishing out these days :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,674
    Still waiting for notification of my speed awareness course 🤔 having been tagged during the week it all went bleepin' pear shaped. I might be waiting for some time. Doubt even the polis could classify bringing a bunch of reprobate speeders together as 'essential work'.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,861
    edited April 2020
    Stevo_666 said:

Just imagine how few fines traffic wardens and speed camera operatives are dishing out these days :)

...though I suspect the temptation of empty roads will tempt some people into trying speeds that they might not under normal traffic conditions...
  • pblakeney

Stevo_666 said:

...though I suspect the temptation of empty roads will tempt some people into trying speeds that they might not under normal traffic conditions...
    The police have already commented, and I have already witnessed that some are using clear roads to full advantage.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    pblakeney said:

Stevo_666 said:

The police have already commented, and I have already witnessed that some are using clear roads to full advantage.
    As people are meant to be taking the pressure off the NHS one suspects they will throw the book at somebody they catch going out to drive like a twat.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,630

Stevo_666 said:

Reminds me of the justification being offered for the Scottish CMO ignoring her own advice.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,480

pblakeney said:

Stevo_666 said:

As people are meant to be taking the pressure off the NHS one suspects they will throw the book at somebody they catch going out to drive like a censored .
    There was a police chase near me about 4.30 Sunday morning. The van being pursued went the wrong way down the M4 to escape and crashed head on into a car travelling the correct way killing its driver. Even on these empty road twats have a way of killing other people.
  • Stevo_666
    edited April 2020
    Reduced traffic volumes will mean that (very sadly) their revenues will be down.

Wonder if there's been much reckless parking now that there are so many available spaces? :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666
    And if you do eventually have to fill up with petrol, it's a fair bit cheaper now. Not that we'll be using much of the stuff.
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    Pross said:

pblakeney said:

Stevo_666 said:

As people are meant to be taking the pressure off the NHS one suspects they will throw the book at somebody they catch going out to drive like a censored .
    There was a police chase near me about 4.30 Sunday morning. The van being pursued went the wrong way down the M4 to escape and crashed head on into a car travelling the correct way killing its driver. Even on these empty road twats have a way of killing other people.
    "Looking on the bright side" clearly means different things to different people!
  • Working from a hammock in my garden... :sunglasses:
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,202
    edited April 2020

Working from a hammock in my garden... :sunglasses:

FTFY

I'm in a playground on a swing... :sunglasses:
  • Stevo_666
    mrfpb said:

Pross said:

pblakeney said:

Stevo_666 said:

"Looking on the bright side" clearly means different things to different people!
    It's actually quite upbeat by Cake Stop standards :smile:
  • Pross
    mrfpb said:

Pross said:

pblakeney said:

Stevo_666 said:

It was a reply to someone mentioning standards of driving on quieter roads!
  • Stevo_666
    edited April 2020
    Pross said:

mrfpb said:

Pross said:

pblakeney said:

Stevo_666 said:

The original point was about how little money traffic wardens and speed camera operators were bringing in, which is a much more cheery point :smile:
  • Pross
    Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

mrfpb said:

Pross said:

pblakeney said:

Stevo_666 said:

The original point was about how little money traffic wardens and speed camera operators were bringing in, which is a much more cheery point :smile:
    I prefer people who drive and park like twats to get penalised to be honest.
  • Working from a hammock in my garden... :sunglasses:

Good for you if you can work like that :smile: .

I may take a ride out later to go to the office to pick up some paperwork. I could leave it for a couple of weeks but it would be a shame to waste this nice weather
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,224
    Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

mrfpb said:

Pross said:

pblakeney said:

Stevo_666 said:

I quite like speed camera fines - it's a tax on the stupid. (And yes I have had one.)
  • Stevo_666
    edited April 2020

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

mrfpb said:

Pross said:

pblakeney said:

Stevo_666 said:

I quite like speed camera fines - it's a tax on the stupid. (And yes I have had one.)
    I haven't but am rather cynical about where these mobile patrols seem to park up. More often than not where I have seen them, its where they are likely to catch more people rather than at genuine danger spots.

If they are on a percentage then that's just tough :)
  • focuszing723

Working from a hammock in my garden... :sunglasses:

Good for you if you can work like that :smile: .

I may take a ride out later to go to the office to pick up some paperwork. I could leave it for a couple of weeks but it would be a shame to waste this nice weather
    Fifteen All.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,590
    I suspect if they want them to work as a deterrent to any speeding, doing it in a spot where more people will get caught by it makes total sense.

It is amazing how much quieter life is without cars running around though. Really noticeable. Lovely stuff.
  • focuszing723
    Yep. Listening to the blackbirds and Robins...
  • Stevo_666

I suspect if they want them to work as a deterrent to any speeding, doing it in a spot where more people will get caught by it makes total sense.

It is amazing how much quieter life is without cars running around though. Really noticeable. Lovely stuff.

Maybe, but they keep telling us that it is done for safety reasons - and that the cameras are deployed at accident black spots, which clearly isnt the case based on my observations.

Call me a cynic...
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,861
    Stevo_666 said:

Maybe, but they keep telling us that it is done for safety reasons - and that the cameras are deployed at accident black spots, which clearly isnt the case based on my observations.

Call me a cynic...

You're a cycnic!

I've got no problem with catching people speeding or using mobile phones, even if it isn't in an accident blackspot. I've got a very good friend who's also a petrolhead, who rails against them as being a tax on motoring. They're not, they're just a tax on people who won't abide by the rules, however unfair the person thinks the law is. People should campaign to get the law changed, if they think it's unfair.

There's an absolutely foolproof way of avoiding the 'tax'/fines: don't speed, and don't use the mobile while driving. It's even more simple than the laws on drink driving, and people don't complain about them.

And if I got caught (I've managed 39 years up till now without point on my licence), I'd know I'd been a dïck, with only myself to blame (unless signage was at fault).
  • pblakeney
    Meh. Last speeding ticket I got (10 years ago) was when taking a backroad to avoid roadworks congestion. A backroad where I followed a tractor for 10 miles. There was one, and only one, straight stretch on the whole road in which it was safe to pass.
    Guess where the camera was?
    I must have been speeding for all of 5-10 seconds but they knew exactly what they were doing.
    Veronese68 wrote: