Looking on the bright side!

Comments

• crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    Pross said:

On a lighter note, there's going to be a period where there'll be no Eastenders on TV and there's no Eurovision Song Contest this year plus no-one is talking about Brexit anymore.

I think they should keep Eastenders going as a morale booster. The rationale being that no matter how bad things get in your own personal doomsday scenario it's still bound to be cheerier than Albert Square.

I have gone through the full Denial, Anger, Fear, Bargaining and Acceptance phases this week. It is a real game changer this one. I'm sure there will be some positives come out of it, but it's hard to see what they are at the moment.
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,620
    Apparently there is a new virus coming out of China caused by them eating crows.

They're calling it Corvid-19.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,928
    edited March 2020
  • mrb123 said:

Apparently there is a new virus coming out of China caused by them eating crows.

They're calling it Corvid-19.

Then of course there's the one you get from the Labour Party, Corbyn-19.

• elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    rjsterry said:

Iain Martin tweeted the other day that we were about to find out what living in the way that the drastically reduced travel and economic activity, as espoused by the likes of Extinction Rebellion etc. is like. I'm not sure how serious he was being but it is remarkable how quickly things improve when we stop ruining them for a few days.

Is that the one about Knepp? I've visited there quite a few times (camped there a couple of times and been on a couple of their "safaris", as well as just walking round the public footpaths that cross the place). Its a great place to visit.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,737
    rjsterry said:

And a shed. You missed off a shed.

I'll settle for a separate office too...
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,549
    Not having to shave as often as usual.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rick_chasey
    Agreed - or polishing shoes.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    Or ironing
  • rick_chasey
    Mmmm I'm still wearing shirts for VC client meetings.
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    Are people still getting dressed?
  • Stevo_666
    Haircuts could become cheaper as well. Don't fancy going to the barbers so have bought some clippers and will just go skinhead if need be.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,697
    Stevo_666 said:

Haircuts could become cheaper as well. Don't fancy going to the barbers so have bought some clippers and will just go skinhead if need be.

Braved one last cut last week as it was getting a bit shaggy. Have picked out a nice wall with a painting and some flattering natural light for the VCs. 😎
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866

Mmmm I'm still wearing shirts for VC client meetings.

I was on a group call that the CEO joined to give us a pep talk and said she wanted all cameras switched on. I pulled on a shirt and had a quick whiz with the shaver.

The shirt went back in the wardrobe so yes ironing definitely reduced
  • Stevo_666
    rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

Braved one last cut last week as it was getting a bit shaggy. Have picked out a nice wall with a painting and some flattering natural light for the VCs. 😎
    RJS, what will you do if this drags on for a few months? Go hippy or buy clippers?
  • rick_chasey
    This is not an issue for fellow members of the bald community.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,697
    edited March 2020
    Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

RJS, what will you do if this drags on for a few months? Go hippy or buy clippers?
    Got it cut quite short so I have about 8 weeks before it starts irritating me. I suspect it might be the clippers. Maybe even a razor
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Stevo_666
    rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

Got it cut quite short so I have about 8 weeks before it starts irritating me. I suspect it might be the clippers. Maybe even a razor
    I'll let you know how I get on with the clippers as I have 2 weeks max before it's going to really annoy me as I always keep my hair pretty short. Have already bought a set of clippers online and will just need to enlist a bit of help from the OH, though if I do it same length all over as neither of us can 'layer' hair, it's almost inevitable that I'll end up looking like an extra from 'Alien 3'.

On the plus side, I suppose it might make people give me a wider berth when I head down to Waitrose :)
  • Stevo_666

I may be joining you soon - temporarily anyway.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921

Bald is beautiful.
    This coming from someone who as a teenager in the 70s had a magnificent mane of hair.
    Went through the stages of Grade 4, then 3 etc, now when I shave my face I just carry on and do my bonce.
    Cueball.
  • briantrumpet
    elbowloh said:

rjsterry said:

Iain Martin tweeted the other day that we were about to find out what living in the way that the drastically reduced travel and economic activity, as espoused by the likes of Extinction Rebellion etc. is like. I'm not sure how serious he was being but it is remarkable how quickly things improve when we stop ruining them for a few days.

Is that the one about Knepp? I've visited there quite a few times (camped there a couple of times and been on a couple of their "safaris", as well as just walking round the public footpaths that cross the place). Its a great place to visit.
    'Wilding' - yep. Very readable, and interesting.
  • briantrumpet
    Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

I'll let you know how I get on with the clippers as I have 2 weeks max before it's going to really annoy me as I always keep my hair pretty short. Have already bought a set of clippers online and will just need to enlist a bit of help from the OH, though if I do it same length all over as neither of us can 'layer' hair, it's almost inevitable that I'll end up looking like an extra from 'Alien 3'.

On the plus side, I suppose it might make people give me a wider berth when I head down to Waitrose :)

I went down the clippers route when I was going to be in France for so long that my hair would get shaggy (it might be going grey, but there's still lots of it). Maybe not quite as tidy as when done by the lovely lady who's cut it for about 20 years, but using 2, 3 & 4 I get a result that's presentable, and no-one's yet giggled (well, not at my hair, anyway.)

Now I do a quick trim about once a fortnight - takes about 10 minutes.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    I get to workout with my son watching Joe Wicks on YouTube each morning.

Ok perhaps the 5 min warmup is enough. We did the first set and son was knackered. He isn’t 5 yet though 🙄
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,364

Bald is beautiful.
    This coming from someone who as a teenager in the 70s had a magnificent mane of hair.
    Went through the stages of Grade 4, then 3 etc, now when I shave my face I just carry on and do my bonce.
    Cueball.
    Most heads were made perfect - the rest they covered in hair.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,803
    pinno said:

Bald is beautiful.
    Cueball.
    🤣🤣🤣
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    pinno said:

Bald is beautiful.
    Cueball.
    :)
    Have a like.
  • rick_chasey
    edited March 2020
    Stevo_666 said:

I may be joining you soon - temporarily anyway.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQCVf7AnXNY

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,588
    I managed to get my hair cut 10 days ago so I've got about 5 weeks left. My hair is ridiculously thick and seems to grow outwards rather than lengthwise so looks really stupid if left much more than 6 weeks. I've got clippers but had grief off the wife for 'looking like a thug' when I once had a no. 4 all over so now is my chance to get a nice, comfortable no.2 without complaint.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,364
    edited March 2020
    Go full Afro Pross. Something like this:

seanoconn - gruagach craic!