Will you continue cycling as normal during coronavirus?

Comments

• fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I hope to keep up the weekend ride but if the cafés have closed we may need to reduce the distance. Everyone be vigilant though. We don't want to end up in a&e.
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,508
    I work on a building site so unless I actually get the coronavirus, chances are I'm still going to be at work until the country goes into lockdown (I could do most of my job from home but need to be on site as a manager).

I intend to keep cycling into work a couple of days a week, if I were to end up working from home for some reason I'd probably do a bit of mountain biking - mostly because I prefer it but it has the added benefit of keeping you away from people.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,722
    Here is a snippet from a magazine article a few years ago that I identified with.
    “Cyclists are by nature social loners. They enjoy company but are equally happy on their own.”

By nature we are well disposed to deal with any lockdown.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    Must admit, I feel better reading the comments above. I was almost dreading the “be responsible and lock yourself away dread mongers” I like everyone on here “need” to get out on the bike and the chemical high I get from it. Maybe chance for some longer lonely days on the bike.. I can definitely cope with that isolation.
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    I often think my work rides are a cause of alot more stress than they need to,but they still make me overall happier than if I didnt do them at all, that whole exercise/endorphins kick, plus it keeps my weight down and certainly my weekend rides are crucial for those aspects and my mental destressing overall so I'll be riding as long as I can and probably doing the occasional lunch ride just to keep on top of it.

But as one of my friends said they dont have a car,they cycle everywhere, including going shopping when they arent ordering online, so if you ban cycling,you are telling people like them they cant shop and are stuck at home.

It just strikes me as one of those irrational things that people come up with in light of facing an obstacle that seems insurmountable and they do it because its one way they can feel like they are protecting people.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,208
    How bad will the general standard of driving get when there's less traffic and practically no chance of getting pulled over?
  • davep1
    davep1 Posts: 836
    I feel like I have been waiting so long for the sodding weather to improve, I am damned if I am not going to carry on cycling! The govt are saying even people self-isolating can go out for exercise, but just not in groups. I cannot see how I can spread infection or catch it by riding my bike on the road on my own, never mind off road. Boardman has said something good about people being allowed to carry on exercising today too.
    Having said that, a friend of mine who lives in Italy went out to visit her elderly parents a few days ago, after the lockdown was started. She's just been found out some low life neighbour reported her for making an unnecessary journey :o
  • Longshot
    Longshot Posts: 940
    davep1 said:

She's just been found out some low life neighbour reported her for making an unnecessary journey :o

Or an law-abiding citizen reported a crime?
    You can fool some of the people all of the time. Concentrate on those people.
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,495
    Some countries have banned exercise - in fact have banned people from being outside except for certain specific criteria such as going to doctors / pharmacy / food shopping. Exceptions in Austria carry a fine of up to 2k euros per offence.
    Until that happens, I plan to keep cycling as long as I'm healthy.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,235

The bicycle is how I get to work and back. Cycling is transport for me not just sport. If the government wants to ban me from riding a bike then they can also pay me my monthly wage.

You will be fine to cycle to work under any circumstance... unless of course you have to close shop, but I don't see that happening
    left the forum March 2023
  • pblakeney

The bicycle is how I get to work and back. Cycling is transport for me not just sport. If the government wants to ban me from riding a bike then they can also pay me my monthly wage.

You will be fine to cycle to work under any circumstance... unless of course you have to close shop, but I don't see that happening
    Depends. I can cycle to work but it doesn’t mean I’ll get in. If lockdown measures are introduced then the office is shutting due to personal proximity. One option was a 3 day week and spreading people out but I don’t see that helping.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,235
    pblakeney said:

Depends. I can cycle to work but it doesn’t mean I’ll get in. If lockdown measures are introduced then the office is shutting due to personal proximity. One option was a 3 day week and spreading people out but I don’t see that helping.
    Cycle to work and then cycle back without actually going into work... :)
    left the forum March 2023
  • pblakeney
    edited March 2020

pblakeney said:

Cycle to work and then cycle back without actually going into work... :)
    Not only that but as I’ll have the time and I won’t need digs then it’s a 240 mile round trip! 😉😂
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • bianchimoon
    If it came to that and I was pulled up by the feds, would it be rude to have a sudden coughing fit, until they said forget it just get yourself home? ;)
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • awavey

How bad will the general standard of driving get when there's less traffic and practically no chance of getting pulled over?

Based on the 1hr lunch ride I spent on the road just now..pretty bad.

Sheesh if that's quiet,I'm really glad I avoid busy normally, the general rule seemed to be the quicker they can drive the quicker they can outrun catching anything...and no not a police car in sight, and these were roads I'd consider to be the less busier,nicer to cycle anyway
  • kingstongraham
    The sensible thing to do would be to invest now in lots of speed cameras, reduce the speed limit via emergency legislation and enforce it to reduce accidents (and the pressure on intensive care). Any hope?
  • Longshot

The sensible thing to do would be to invest now in lots of speed cameras, reduce the speed limit via emergency legislation and enforce it to reduce accidents (and the pressure on intensive care). Any hope?

It would be cheaper to tell people they're not allowed out at all. Don't give them ideas.
  • pblakeney
    awavey said:

Sheesh if that's quiet,I'm really glad I avoid busy normally, the general rule seemed to be the quicker they can drive the quicker they can outrun catching anything...and no not a police car in sight, and these were roads I'd consider to be the less busier,nicer to cycle anyway
    Racing around trying to find some bog roll?
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • kingstongraham
    Longshot said:

It would be cheaper to tell people they're not allowed out at all. Don't give them ideas.
    There will still be traffic on the roads in the next few months - people travelling to work in warehouses, deliveries being made etc. If they are going to try to reduce the need for critical care, reducing road accidents has to be a focus, no?
  • awavey
    pblakeney said:

awavey said:

Trades people for the most part,builders etc,&white van man, delivering bog roll no doubt. Most of the cars were sensible for a change,there were a few notable numpties that were just mgif cyclist at all costs
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    There is a campaign, supported by scientists, health experts, plus other organisations eg sustrans, to encourage cycling and walking during this crisis.
    Sustrans info here
    https://www.sustrans.org.uk/our-blog/news/2020/march/an-open-letter-to-make-walking-and-cycling-easier-amid-covid-19/

From what's being reported the government is expected to support the initiative, encouraging people to walk, cycle and exercise, but avoiding close contact with others.

Sounds like group rides may be stopped though.
  • bianchimoon
    edited March 2020
    Went out this eve did 35 miles, roads no busier than normal, rural location, all good, keep riding, stay safe ;)
  • Wonder whats happening with Greta Thunberger and the Queen. Haven't heard much about either of them lately. Both usually attract big crowds so I am wondering if any of them are on the highway to hell already. If they can be shut up then what chance do we have?
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,416

Wonder whats happening with Greta Thunberger and the Queen. Haven't heard much about either of them lately. Both usually attract big crowds so I am wondering if any of them are on the highway to hell already. If they can be shut up then what chance do we have?

To be fair I’ve not seen either the Queen or Greta on a bike recently. I guess they have heeded the Government’s advice and have hung up their cleats.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• kingstongraham

Wonder whats happening with Greta Thunberger and the Queen. Haven't heard much about either of them lately. Both usually attract big crowds so I am wondering if any of them are on the highway to hell already. If they can be shut up then what chance do we have?

Greta wanted us to stop flying so much.
  • davep1
    davep1 Posts: 836
    Longshot said:

davep1 said:

She's just been found out some low life neighbour reported her for making an unnecessary journey :o

You've got it bad, pal
  • Longshot
    davep1 said:

Longshot said:

davep1 said:

You've got it bad, pal

Not at all. In fact, I agree with your point of view. Others won't.
  • manglier
    manglier Posts: 1,208
    awavey said:

pblakeney said:

awavey said:

Trades people for the most part,builders etc,&white van man, delivering bog roll no doubt. Most of the cars were sensible for a change,there were a few notable numpties that were just mgif cyclist at all costs
    Please define, "White van man," because I'm really curious.
  • awavey
    manglier said:

Please define, "White van man," because I'm really curious.

Ill let the urban dictionary do it https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=white van man
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Ignoring urban dictionary - it's men in white vans delivering all over the country and helping keeping us going.

Not sure I've ever had trouble with a WVM when out cycling either ?