Will you continue cycling as normal during coronavirus?

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,789
    joe2019 said:

fenix said:

There was a pro triathlete on strava yesterday clocking up a 9 and a half hour ride round Norfolk. So literally 10;s of miles away from his home base. That's just taking the pee.

I don't see why that's taking the pee. Gove is on record saying "just do whatever you would normally do" or words to that effect. In any case, as long as said triathlete is social distancing, riding alone and not stopping at cafes, etc, then it really doesn't matter if he is out for 9.5 minutes, 9.5 hours or 9.5 days, does it?

Government are saying 'Stay Local' when exercising.

Local - relating to a particular region or part, or to each of any number of these.
    Not very definitive. As per all government advice.
    Some regions are huge.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • joe2019
    joe2019 Posts: 1,338
    edited March 2020
    pblakeney said:

joe2019 said:

fenix said:

There was a pro triathlete on strava yesterday clocking up a 9 and a half hour ride round Norfolk. So literally 10;s of miles away from his home base. That's just taking the pee.

I don't see why that's taking the pee. Gove is on record saying "just do whatever you would normally do" or words to that effect. In any case, as long as said triathlete is social distancing, riding alone and not stopping at cafes, etc, then it really doesn't matter if he is out for 9.5 minutes, 9.5 hours or 9.5 days, does it?

Local - relating to a particular region or part, or to each of any number of these.
    Some regions are huge.
    I'm guessing local dosen't mean cycling around your county ;)
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    edited March 2020
    neeb said:

Cycling Weekly reporting Belgium looking to limit cycling to 50k max.

That's not unreasonable. Is that 50k max per trip, or to keep within 50k of your home?
    It’s total km per trip, a normal ride for many so again not really a lockdown IMO.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    I'd say local means 50 miles or so - set off from your front door - ie don't stick your bike in the car to travel to a MTB centre or some scenic area. That's how I'm interpreting it anyway - doubt I'll be more than 30 away from home at most anyway and chances of police stopping me to test that interpretation are minimal I'd have thought.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,421
    edited March 2020
    If you limit yourself to riding within a 10 mile radius of your home you can still get in 82.831 miles which is respectable B)

Edited cos my maths was shit

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• pblakeney
    edited March 2020
    joe2019 said:

pblakeney said:

joe2019 said:

fenix said:

Some regions are huge.
    The guessing part is exactly what I meant. Not Definitive.
    I only did a 38 mile loop today (from home) and I was in 3 counties.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    Today I did 6x 3 mile loop, and must have passed 30 or so people some 2 or 3 times, yesterday I did 40 miles out into countryside and must have passed 6 or 7 people, makes a bit of a mockery staying close to home for me
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,263
    fenix said:

Funny that so many people are only interested in keeping healthy when there's a pandemic on !

What else would you recommend doing? Seemingly there are already too many people wanting to help the NHS.
    left the forum March 2023
  • ugo.santalucia
    joe2019 said:

pblakeney said:

joe2019 said:

fenix said:

Some regions are huge.
    They mean don't jump in your car, drive to B to do a walk or a ride... I think it's good they clarified, as I felt uneasy to drive for a walk (albeit it would be a short drive)... now I know I'm not supposed to, so happy days.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,638

Today I did 6x 3 mile loop, and must have passed 30 or so people some 2 or 3 times, yesterday I did 40 miles out into countryside and must have passed 6 or 7 people, makes a bit of a mockery staying close to home for me

That particular example does, but the message needs to be sh1t simple because the bulk of the population is sh1t simple.
  • Yesterday I went as far as ~12 miles from home, up one of the cat4 climbs up Beacon Hill. Today was a flat route that got me ~10 miles away from home in Owslebury.

The thing that is still really throwing me is the lack of cars on my local suburban roads at school runs and rush hour times! Under normal circumstances, I won't head out or plan to get within ~3 miles of home around these times.

But despite the relative lack of local traffic, I still relax far more once I get ~5+ miles north east of SO18 and into the edge of the South Downs.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437

fenix said:

Funny that so many people are only interested in keeping healthy when there's a pandemic on !

What else would you recommend doing? Seemingly there are already too many people wanting to help the NHS.
    Ooh I dunno - what about taking your health seriously for the rest of your life and not panic exercising when there's a pandemic on ?
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437

fenix said:

9.5 hour rides aren't normal even for pro triathletes.
  • ugo.santalucia
    fenix said:

fenix said:

Ooh I dunno - what about taking your health seriously for the rest of your life and not panic exercising when there's a pandemic on ?
    I thought the only reason to allow people to exercise outdoors was so that they actually do take care of their health.
    Seems a sensible initiative. For contrast, in Milan you can't go out of your house to exercise, but then there are 300k people commuting in for work every day... things don't improve and still they have the face to blame the runners for the spread of the disease.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    fenix said:

fenix said:

The point is that if he is solo, isolated and self-sufficient, then it doesn't really matter how long he is out for.

• bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942

fenix said:

fenix said:

The point is that if he is solo, isolated and self-sufficient, then it doesn't really matter how long he is out for.

This^
    The two parts to the issues of exercise during this outbreak need addressing responsibly and scientifically, not emotionally
    A) can solo cycling, jogging, walking pass on the virus given that the person takes responsible precautions.
    If yes ban it, if no allow it
    B Is solo cycling, jogging, walking likely to cause an unacceptable drain on NHS resources during the virus outbreak
    If yes ban it, if no allow it
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • joe2019
    edited March 2020

fenix said:

fenix said:

Barring a mechanical breakdown far from home requiring an, otherwise, unnecessary journey for somebody to rescue him.

Arguably, he is also putting himself at greater risk of requiring an NHS call out for an accident than someone riding closer to home.
  • imposter2.0
    joe2019 said:

fenix said:

fenix said:

Barring a mechanical breakdown far from home requiring an, otherwise, unnecessary journey for somebody to rescue him.

Arguably, he is also putting himself at greater risk of requiring an NHS call out for an accident than someone riding closer to home.
    Statistically, most accidents happen in the home anyway, so you could argue he is actually at lower risk of an NHS call out if he is away from it. If you are considering mechanical breakdowns as a factor, then nobody should go out at all. Not even in a car. Stay at home where you are more likely to have an accident requiring 999 assistance.

• joe2019

joe2019 said:

fenix said:

fenix said:

Statistically, most accidents happen in the home anyway, so you could argue he is actually at lower risk of an NHS call out if he is away from it. If you are considering mechanical breakdowns as a factor, then nobody should go out at all. Not even in a car. Stay at home where you are more likely to have an accident requiring 999 assistance.

Good points.

However, personally I feel that should I have a nasty crash on my bike far from home that required an ambulance I'd feel a lot more guilty than if I tripped down the steps in my garden.
  • yellowv2
    yellowv2 Posts: 282
    IMO it's taking the p.... and not in the spirit of what was meant even though it wasn't spelt out, it is completely unnecessary. You can have a different opinion and try to bend everything to your view but in the end everyone will suffer.
  • ugo.santalucia
    We have to be pragmatic. If 95% of the people do as they are told, that is massive and will make a huge difference. There will always be a 5% of morons who insist on doing their own thing. For instance, my neighbour, I've hardly seen him at home at all this week... clearly not a key worker either, as he sells cars. I don't mind, he doesn't seem to go around people, other than his girlfriend who lives elsewhere.
  • imposter2.0
    joe2019 said:

joe2019 said:

fenix said:

fenix said:

Good points.

However, personally I feel that should I have a nasty crash on my bike far from home that required an ambulance I'd feel a lot more guilty than if I tripped down the steps in my garden.
    Well, the outcome is the same for either situation, home or not. Obviously if you had a crash on the bike and you were not supposed to be cycling at all, that would be different. But as long as you are allowed to cycle, then it doesn't technically matter if you have an accident 20 miles from home, or just round the corner.

• DeVlaeminck
    edited March 2020
    What wouldn't be taking the piss? I've seen people say they are only riding loops 15 miles from home, others say a limit of an hour or 30 minutes, others saying we should stay within a few kms of home which is odd because for most that would mean urban roads or bike paths that are full of walkers and joggers.

Seems to me for a lot of people their personal choice is reasonable and what others do is taking the piss. People who do loads of zwifting and have a home gym arguing that we don't need to go out at all.

Personally so long as we stay 2m plus away from others and aren't doing extreme sports I haven't got a problem. We've been asked not to travel too far to exercise so I'm doing all my rides from home and I'm not stopping for supplies so limited to how far I can go on 2 bottles (weather dependent but currently 3-4 hours). If others want to do more or less so long as they stay distanced why not.

Edit - I've read some speculation that high intensity makes you more susceptible to a poor outcome if you do catch Covid19. If that becomes accepted I wonder how those that say we should all stay inside and zwift would react - I doubt it's much fun doing 2-3 hours LSD sat in front of a screen..
  • imposter2.0
    edited March 2020
    yellowv2 said:

IMO it's taking the p.... and not in the spirit of what was meant even though it wasn't spelt out, it is completely unnecessary. You can have a different opinion and try to bend everything to your view but in the end everyone will suffer.

I wouldn't say it's taking the pizz - although you can certainly argue it is completely unneccesary at the moment - especially since there is no likelihood of any return to racing before mid/late summer.

The important thing to remember is that he went out for 9 hours and nothing bad happened. And then everyone lost their sh11t on social media when he got home.
  • Charlie_Croker
    Charlie_Croker Posts: 1,699

I've read some speculation that high intensity makes you more susceptible to a poor outcome if you do catch Covid19. If that becomes accepted I wonder how those that say we should all stay inside and zwift would react - I doubt it's much fun doing 2-3 hours LSD sat in front of a screen..

Yes speculation, lots of that about on the Internet

I'm not sure what the very latest thinking is on this https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/04/180420122807.htm

on the other hand...

• pblakeney

I'm not sure what the very latest thinking is on this https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/04/180420122807.htm

Dunno about that. Only anecdotal but..

I have a minor abscess that I am waiting on treatment for. Not likely soon.
    It only flares up when I've overdone it on the bike. i.e. long hard days or cycling holidays.

Veronese68 wrote:
  • Edit - I've read some speculation that high intensity makes you more susceptible to a poor outcome if you do catch Covid19. If that becomes accepted I wonder how those that say we should all stay inside and zwift would react - I doubt it's much fun doing 2-3 hours LSD sat in front of a screen..

Thinking about this logically, i think we need to ask ourselves this question.

If you were asymptomatic, whether early stages of infection or just by fortune, how much stress would you want to put on your respiratory system?
  • DeVlaeminck

I've read some speculation that high intensity makes you more susceptible to a poor outcome if you do catch Covid19. If that becomes accepted I wonder how those that say we should all stay inside and zwift would react - I doubt it's much fun doing 2-3 hours LSD sat in front of a screen..

Yes speculation, lots of that about on the Internet

on the other hand...

Your link is related to long endurance events and the immune system more than HIIT and the respiratory system in particular.

Still my point was not to suggest we should give up interval training more that people are quicker to dismiss activities they don't do as unnecessary. For example how many that say cyclists may crash and impose a strain on the NHS would walk to the shops instead if drive lest they crash?
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,467

Edit - I've read some speculation that high intensity makes you more susceptible to a poor outcome if you do catch Covid19. If that becomes accepted I wonder how those that say we should all stay inside and zwift would react - I doubt it's much fun doing 2-3 hours LSD sat in front of a screen..

Thinking about this logically, i think we need to ask ourselves this question.

If you were asymptomatic, whether early stages of infection or just by fortune, how much stress would you want to put on your respiratory system?
    I doubt many people here are qualified to answer that question. It might be the case that such stress would lead to a progression of the condition, or it might be that through a mild inflammatory response it would stimulate the immune system to fight it in the lungs while it was still at low levels.

I must admit that given that 1) this is a virus that attacks the lungs specifically, 2) there seem to be some people who are affected much more or less, independent of age and health, and the particular way that the immune response in the lungs happens seems to be key, and 3) as a group engaing in extreme cardiovascular exercise we are probably at one end of the bell curve - I'd be very keen to knw more about this! :-)

• ugo.santalucia
    neeb said:

I must admit that given that 1) this is a virus that attacks the lungs specifically, 2) there seem to be some people who are affected much more or less, independent of age and health, and the particular way that the immune response in the lungs happens seems to be key, and 3) as a group engaing in extreme cardiovascular exercise we are probably at one end of the bell curve - I'd be very keen to knw more about this! :-)

Off topic, but don't forget that the outcome is also largely determined by the dose of virus one is exposed to, which explains the many deaths among young health professionals.
    It is very different whether you are coughed up in the face by a very ill patient or whether you touch a surface that has been previously touched by someone carrying the virus.

Anyway, totally off topic