Would you travel to Italy with your family in 4 weeks?

Comments

• focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,203
    I thought the poll used to show how people voted? I think I voted go early on,which soon changed to don't!
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,262
    edited May 2020
    I think I voted go on the basis that Rome would probably be not much different to London by then. Right and wrong at the same time.

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,583
    I'm still theoretically going to Venice and Garda in August. If we are told we can fly and the hotel and campsite are open I'm not sure what we'll do. The biggest issue would probably be the quarantine returning home. However, having planned to go for a few years and never having previously been to the area, I'm not sure I want to spoil it by going and finding a lot of stuff still closed although going to Venice when it's quiet and cleaner than normal is appealing.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,923
    My biggie will be France for August + a bit. Would drive down, I think. But a no-go if there's a 2-week quarantine on return. Would be a bit daft, if so, as I'd be more isolated in the French place than here.

Currently getting money back from EasyJet for cancelled flights for next week... that's having got my money back from Visa from the Flybe collapse. Ho hum.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,732
    Pross said:

I'm still theoretically going to Venice and Garda in August. If we are told we can fly and the hotel and campsite are open I'm not sure what we'll do. The biggest issue would probably be the quarantine returning home. However, having planned to go for a few years and never having previously been to the area, I'm not sure I want to spoil it by going and finding a lot of stuff still closed although going to Venice when it's quiet and cleaner than normal is appealing.

Can you wfh? I suspect if it’s all fine (as in, risk of getting corona are really low) and it’s just a question of quarantine, I imagine most firms will accommodate the quarantine wfh is an option.
  • Pross

Pross said:

Can you wfh? I suspect if it’s all fine (as in, risk of getting corona are really low) and it’s just a question of quarantine, I imagine most firms will accommodate the quarantine wfh is an option.
    Yep, I have been other than one site visit since mid March and do so 2 or 3 days a week in normal times. Unfortunately my wife is a care manager though so not really an option for her. Even without having to do a formal quarantine she would probably have to avoid any visits to the houses she manages which would put a lot of pressure on her colleague. I'm hoping the decision is taken out of our hands.

I'll be more disappointed if we can't get close to normality by next summer as we've been planning a trip to Florida for our 25th anniversary and daughter's 18th which are a few days apart.
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,042
    Longshot said:

Forget CV19 for a moment. My Mother in Law died the day before we were meant to travel .

every cloud and all that, eh?

BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    Just dusting this off as it was the forunner to the big Covid thread. Not sure how youpull the dates but it must have been early march.

Shame we did not have TBB as PM and we got Coopster
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    No - its a total clustfkk over there at the moment re vaccinations, med cover, etc.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,328
    MattFalle said:

No - its a total clustfkk over there at the moment re vaccinations, med cover, etc.

My sister got jabbed over there last week, she works at a university so they were done as a priority it seems. Think she said she had the AZ one as well but can't be sure. She was laughing about univsersity professors being guinea pigs for it, thankfully whilst she is batshit in many ways she's glad to have been jabbed and isn't concerned about blood clots caused by it.
  • MattFalle
    My parents are there - mother is the only one in their village to have been done, no idea which vaccine, no card, no "come back" date.

No one else has any idea what is going on, the mayor is part of our family and even he doesn't have a scooby.

Abruzzo keeps droppong red - amber and as the Giro goes past our front door (as in where we park the car) on 16/17 May it'll be interesting to see what they do....
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    Infection rates in Italy going up, so I wouldn't bank on them letting you in. Cancel. My ex- has already had to bin her planned trip with the kids to Canada (twice)

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    ddraver said:

Managed to tear my ACL so ma and pa raver were planning on coming out in their camper van to help me post-op. Trying to convince them that self-isolating in the Swiss Alps would be much better than back in the UK...

Ow. GWS (well, relatively)

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313
    I wouldn't go, there's not only the possible risk to your health but also a very real possibility of spreading it further in country that's in a shambolic state with it alll all ready.

I guess its a question of where on the pendulum you sit with total self centred selfish arzole at one end and self aware at the other.
  • Pross
    The thread is a year old from when the extent of the virus was first becoming known (and a lot of people felt a lockdown was a total over-reaction)
  • MattFalle
    but its still applicable now
  • focuszing723
    It is but it's worth pointing out if people are reading the old post.

Again this demonstrates the benefit of hindsight, when people are being critical of the actions taken by the Government and Medical Advisers at that moment in time.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,262

Again this demonstrates the benefit of hindsight, when people are being critical of the actions taken by the Government and Medical Advisers at that moment in time.

Looks like the tide had turned on this thread by about 9th March last year. It's worth remembering the effect every extra day's delay would have had on the number of deaths. Two weeks late is a lot.

I find these old threads fascinating for reminders what my mindset was at the time.
  • focuszing723

Looks like the tide had turned on this thread by about 9th March last year. It's worth remembering the effect every extra day's delay would have had on the number of deaths. Two weeks late is a lot.

I find these old threads fascinating for reminders what my mindset was at the time.
    Yes. Very true. When people look back on history and think 'how the hell could of that happened?', it's difficult without the perspective and context of the time.
  • surrey_commuter

this was the point of my resurfacing it, to remind us how fast moving events were but also that the general consensus was way ahead of the Govt in terms of recognising how serious it was and simple precautions that should be taken.
  • focuszing723
    edited March 2021

this was the point of my resurfacing it, to remind us how fast moving events were but also that the general consensus was way ahead of the Govt in terms of recognising how serious it was and simple precautions that should be taken.
    Sure, but for all we knew it could have ended up akin to Sars and Mers. We were guessing too.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,794

I did a u-turn that BJ would be proud of! 🤣🤣🤣
    But much, much quicker.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • davep1
    davep1 Posts: 836
    We have friends in Abruzzo, her parents are over 80 and still don't know when they are getting their jabs.
    I hope to go this year, originally thought Easter might be possible, but that's out now. June July or August maybe?
  • surrey_commuter

Sure, but for all we knew it could have ended up akin to Sars and Mers. We were guessing too.
    If by akin to Sars/Mers you mean less contgious but more deadly then the early days of this thread reminds us what we were witnessing in Italy and the effective measures other countries had taken in Asia.

Also people on here were buying PPE, shielding the vulnerable and social distancing weeks ahead of the Govt.
  • MattFalle
    davep1 said:

We have friends in Abruzzo, her parents are over 80 and still don't know when they are getting their jabs.
    I hope to go this year, originally thought Easter might be possible, but that's out now. June July or August maybe?

Nah - write that off.

We haven't been home to Abruzzo in 18 months now and aren't going this year at all as its a total Harry von clusterfuck out there.
  • womack
    womack Posts: 566
    MattFalle said:

davep1 said:

Nah - write that off.

We haven't been home to Abruzzo in 18 months now and aren't going this year at all as its a total Harry von clusterfuck out there.
    I suppose we are fortunate here in Britain to have a caring and forward looking Prime Minister that ensured we would have enough vaccines to look after the health and well being of the citizens of this great country.

Go Boris!
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,692
    womack said:

MattFalle said:

davep1 said:

Nah - write that off.

I suppose we are fortunate here in Britain to have a caring and forward looking Prime Minister that ensured we would have enough vaccines to look after the health and well being of the citizens of this great country.

Go Boris!
    Yeah, go Boris. Go, go far far away...
  • Pross

If by akin to Sars/Mers you mean less contgious but more deadly then the early days of this thread reminds us what we were witnessing in Italy and the effective measures other countries had taken in Asia.

Also people on here were buying PPE, shielding the vulnerable and social distancing weeks ahead of the Govt.
    I assume akin to SARS and MERS he means all the talk of it coming our way but not making it. I admit to being affected by the previous "cry wolf" stories of killer flus etc. reported every winter in The Express.
  • surrey_commuter
    Pross said:

I assume akin to SARS and MERS he means all the talk of it coming our way but not making it. I admit to being affected by the previous "cry wolf" stories of killer flus etc. reported every winter in The Express.
    Rather optimistic to think that having reached Italy , devastating consequences, it was not going to reach the UK with a similar outcome
  • focuszing723
    edited March 2021

Italians are facing up to yet more stringent measures designed to combat the outbreak after learning on Monday they would be placed in lockdown conditions. The country’s prime minister, Giuseppe Conte, has now said shops – barring supermarkets, food stores and chemists – will be shut down, while companies must close all their departments that are not essential to production.

Services such as hairdressers and beauty parlours will also be closed, along with bars and restaurants that cannot guarantee they can keep a distance of at least one metre between customers. Referring to the daily bulletins announcing the number of new cases and deaths, Conte said:

We will only be able to see the effects of this great effort in a couple of weeks.

Conte’s office said the new measures would be in force from Thursday until 25 March.

Guardian.

It does make you think we need to be acting sooner rather than later.
    Pros was right about what I was trying to say.

This was my comment on page two of the Covid thread though and I disagreed with CheItenham races going ahead.

I will just shut up for a bit, because I'm arguing with my historic self, bizarre!