wednesday inscribed by sefkhet-abwy

Comments

• step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    pinno said:

tlw1 said:

Stevo_666 said:

tlw1 said:

Cheers all re: FIL prognoses is better than expected, so all good(ish)

Car still not got new boots, should be sorted tomorrow and the price is encouraging the fleet chap to replace my car this year

Fingers crossed for your FIL.

Get shot of the Eco milk float.
    Cheers. Eco float makes a mockery of car tax, cheap tax yet 0-62 in sub 6.5 secs and according to a friend good for at least 150
    Wtf is it, a Tesla?

Got new boots for the Porker on chewsday. Christ it was scary but they're strangely bedding in well.
    Took it to a disused car lot and ragged the last legal mm off the tyres to a. have fun and b. compare grip. Pretty good really - Bridgestone Potenza's (odd but legal wear pattern on the shoulders which is par cours apparently).
    Then drove it with new (rear) boots and it drove like a drunk ice skater.
    As I say - bedding in now.Going like a hooligan round the roundabout (50 yds from my house) scrubbed them a bit :)
    Usually they are still coated in an oily release agent which sucks into the tyres so heat treating them as you did forces it out.

Were the Bridgestones feathering on the edges? Mine did that, was like you were running them to high a pressure or with some odd toe in angle, but they were set up right and the right pressures.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Stevo_666 said:

Neighbour had a stroke last year. Proper full stroke.
    12 months older than me.
    Scary 5h1t.
    Good news about fil Tlw.

True. A big stroke is what got my old man in the end.
    If I am to suffer a stroke (not TIA) I hope it's a biggie and it takes me straight out. Don't want to be left just existing and not living.

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,547
    edited January 2020

Stevo_666 said:

Neighbour had a stroke last year. Proper full stroke.
    12 months older than me.
    Scary 5h1t.
    Good news about fil Tlw.

True. A big stroke is what got my old man in the end.
    If I am to suffer a stroke (not TIA) I hope it's a biggie and it takes me straight out. Don't want to be left just existing and not living.

Spot on. He lasted 6 days and TBH it was for the best given the state it left him in. Sounds harsh, but having seen my old dear rotting away with Alzheimers for several years I know what is the better option.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,693
    Aye indeed. As Freddie sang 'Who wants to live forever?'. One parent checked out at age 80 with that side of the family history cr4p cardio problems, but rel quickly with heart attack #1 followed by #2 2 months later. Other parent followed the increasing dementia route for a further 8 years.

I used to think xxxx I hope I don't have the bad cardio genes, 50:50 innit. But a short sharp exit vs a long drawn out descent into sh1tsville? Hmmm.....
  • ballysmate
    oxoman said:

I feel for anyone that suffers from a stroke or dementia having seen it first hand. My kids have been instructed to knock me on the head if I get either.

Pm me your address and I'll pop round and save them the bother
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,873
    My next door neighbour was a doctor and has a great philosophy - work out when you want to die and then get the lifestyle to achieve it. He wants to die before 78 and is in the pub most days
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,364
    tlw1 said:

Pino - can’t beat car park fun

No you can't but it's quite small. On the upside, it's directly opposite the ambulance station.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Stevo_666
    edited January 2020
    tlw1 said:

My next door neighbour was a doctor and has a great philosophy - work out when you want to die and then get the lifestyle to achieve it. He wants to die before 78 and is in the pub most days

Are you aiming for 48?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pinno
    edited January 2020
    step83 said:

Usually they are still coated in an oily release agent which sucks into the tyres so heat treating them as you did forces it out.

Oh I see, thanks for the gen.
    I did drive out into a fine drizzle after a period of no rain and the roads were a bit of a silty, soggy mess. So bar ice, probably the worst conditions for a spin on new boots.
    step83 said:

Were the Bridgestones feathering on the edges? Mine did that, was like you were running them to high a pressure or with some odd toe in angle, but they were set up right and the right pressures.

No, unlike the 944 the alloys are pretty good and held their pressure really well. 265-40 18's on 44 rear and 37 front, so no untoward tracking issues and no, I didn't over inflate - the previous owner might have done.
    They didn't fray and the guys at the local tyre shop said that this was common on Bridgstone's and the oddity of tread wear and legality is that they can only take a reading over the central 60%.
    They were fine despite this unless I hit standing water and that lack of cross sectional tread really pulled the car.

Incidentally, the front end felt light and twitchy (I only replaced the rears). What you think caused that?
    Cars feels better and better now - 60 miles on them and feeling like they need at least another ton.
    I could put some sandbags in the boot with the spoiler up but some stupid tw@t stuck an engine in there.

• Stevo_666
    orraloon said:

Aye indeed. As Freddie sang 'Who wants to live forever?'. One parent checked out at age 80 with that side of the family history cr4p cardio problems, but rel quickly with heart attack #1 followed by #2 2 months later. Other parent followed the increasing dementia route for a further 8 years.

I used to think xxxx I hope I don't have the bad cardio genes, 50:50 innit. But a short sharp exit vs a long drawn out descent into sh1tsville? Hmmm.....

It does make you wonder about the point of living to a 'ripe old age'. I've definitely got some of those bad cardio genes if my old man and his old man (teetotal non-smoking pro footballer who died from heart failure aged 49) are anything to go by. Probably not a bad thing...
  • tlw1
    Tyres take circa 100 miles to bed in. Rear tyres were probably shoot and therefore slid before the fronts and hid their twitchy nature
  • ballysmate
    tlw1 said:

Is he 77?
  • tlw1
    Stevo_666 said:

tlw1 said:

Are you aiming for 48?
    Feck, later this year
  • pinno
    tlw1 said:

Tyres take circa 100 miles to bed in. Rear tyres were probably shoot and therefore slid before the fronts and hid their twitchy nature

It was scary sh*t. Scariest was the prospect of buying another set. It will get a decent spin in the sticks and some luverly bends tomorrow on the Bistro/Cafe outing.

Live each day like it were your last...

'Cos one day, you might be right.
  • Stevo_666
    tlw1 said:

Stevo_666 said:

tlw1 said:

Are you aiming for 48?
    censored , later this year
    54 next month. I should drink more.
  • ballysmate
    Stevo_666 said:

tlw1 said:

Stevo_666 said:

tlw1 said:

Are you aiming for 48?
    Kids of today eh?
  • tlw1
    Stevo_666 said:

tlw1 said:

Stevo_666 said:

tlw1 said:

Are you aiming for 48?
    I can help here
  • pinno
    @tlw1 - err no, the front end is not twitchy.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,328
    tlw1 said:

Stevo_666 said:

tlw1 said:

Stevo_666 said:

tlw1 said:

Are you aiming for 48?
    I can help here
    My gran spent several years in a home and was in her 90s when she shuffled off, often heard saying old age was punishment for the wicked. To be honest she was horrible and I think she may have been right. My old man, her son, was nothing like her and truly cared for others. After a relatively short battle with the big C he was gone before he hit 80. Maybe the old dragon was right.
    I’d much rather it was short and sharp.
  • Stevo_666
    edited January 2020
    tlw1 said:

Stevo_666 said:

tlw1 said:

Stevo_666 said:

tlw1 said:

Are you aiming for 48?
    I can help here
    I may be able to shorten my life span if junior gets into Liverpool uni...

Btw somebody said the other day that a 10k run extends your life span by 30 minutes, but it takes 40 minutes to do it...
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

tlw1 said:

Stevo_666 said:

tlw1 said:

Are you aiming for 48?
    Kids of today eh?
    How come you're still alive Bally?
  • ballysmate
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

tlw1 said:

Stevo_666 said:

tlw1 said:

Are you aiming for 48?
    Kids of today eh?
    Portrait in the attic.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

tlw1 said:

Stevo_666 said:

tlw1 said:

Are you aiming for 48?
    Kids of today eh?
    Portrait in the attic.
    :)

I may have one myself.
  • Stevo_666
    oxoman said:

We looked after my gran as eldest next of kin prior to her going on a home at 91. I will never forget her saying to a young lady assessing her before she went into the home, that we were to take her out back and shoot her. Social woman was horrified, till my gram explained that if she was an animal we'd have her put down.

My folks said the same that they never wanted to be 'like that' (referring to people in care homes). When the time came, my old dear had forgotten what she'd said...
  • step83
    pinno said:

step83 said:

Oh I see, thanks for the gen.
    I did drive out into a fine drizzle after a period of no rain and the roads were a bit of a silty, soggy mess. So bar ice, probably the worst conditions for a spin on new boots.
    step83 said:

No, unlike the 944 the alloys are pretty good and held their pressure really well. 265-40 18's on 44 rear and 37 front, so no untoward tracking issues and no, I didn't over inflate - the previous owner might have done.
    They didn't fray and the guys at the local tyre shop said that this was common on Bridgstone's and the oddity of tread wear and legality is that they can only take a reading over the central 60%.
    They were fine despite this unless I hit standing water and that lack of cross sectional tread really pulled the car.

Incidentally, the front end felt light and twitchy (I only replaced the rears). What you think caused that?
    Cars feels better and better now - 60 miles on them and feeling like they need at least another ton.
    I could put some sandbags in the boot with the spoiler up but some stupid tw@t stuck an engine in there.

If they put the car in the air that may cause the front to feel odd, not very common an more if the cars been in the air for a length of time. More likely to be the new tread blocks squirming around, it'll settle as the tyres wear in a bit.
  • pinno
    step83 said:

If they put the car in the air that may cause the front to feel odd, not very common an more if the cars been in the air for a length of time. More likely to be the new tread blocks squirming around, it'll settle as the tyres wear in a bit.

They are settling down. I think it's the relationship between grip and down force - that thing they discovered with the long tail Porsche 962.

• Stevo_666
    edited January 2020
    pinno said:

step83 said:

They are settling down. I think it's the relationship between grip and down force - that thing they discovered with the long tail Porsche 962.

I've got plenty of down force. Mainly due to gravity and the weight of the car.
  • step83
    pinno said:

step83 said:

Very possible, plus the rear tyres will have worn into a slight camber give it a 100-200 miles it'll feel the same again.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,154
    edited January 2020
    Stevo_666 said:

tlw1 said:

Stevo_666 said:

tlw1 said:

Stevo_666 said:

tlw1 said:

Are you aiming for 48?
    I can help here
    I may be able to shorten my life span if junior gets into Liverpool uni...

Btw somebody said the other day that a 10k run extends your life span by 30 minutes, but it takes 40 minutes to do it...
    Might've been me that shared that article from the Mash.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,556
    odd, with all all this talk of porsches i just got a centurion freebie invite for bubbly and canapés in porsche mayfair to see their new stuff and whatever a taycan 4s is

i don't really want a porsche, but bubbly and nibbles, i could have a lot of those :smiley:
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny