Forum home Road cycling forum The bottom bracket

wednesday inscribed by sefkhet-abwy

'ning

coffee, croissant, more killing, bail for bubbly evening
my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
«13

Posts

  • lincolndavelincolndave Posts: 7,865
    Morning, cold and windy , Tigger walked, coffee and granola for breakfast
    Have a good day
  • tlw1tlw1 Posts: 18,146
    Should be a hybrid commute today but due to excessive fun in the eco car it needs yet another set of rear boots

    Later is hopefully a longer run than last night when I had to abandon to go and see the FIL who had a mini stroke :(
  • thistle_(mbnw)thistle_(mbnw) Posts: 3,360
    tlw1 said:

    Should be a hybrid commute today but due to excessive fun in the eco car it needs yet another set of rear boots

    Later is hopefully a longer run than last night when I had to abandon to go and see the FIL who had a mini stroke :(

    Hope he's not too bad.

    Eco car doesn't sound very eco if it keeps needing new parts.
    Mind you, bikes are the same.
  • veronese68veronese68 Posts: 22,391 Lives Here
    Morning folks,
    Early start today to facilitate early bail, unfortunately I had to drive in.
    Hope the FIL is ok TLW, hope the current wife is ok too. Going to see my mate that had a series of small strokes a couple of weeks ago later today. He seems to be making a good recovery, just gets very tired.
    Off to see the old dear later, meeting with the builder doing the house next door. Just need to check a couple of things with him so hoping that goes well. After that being Wednesday I will be going to the pub.
    Onwards and upwards...
  • oxomanoxoman Posts: 7,532
    Morning. Slobbing at home with the mutt. Hope the FIL gets better TLW. Will attempt a run out later as planned solo degla ride has turned into a few mates going next week. Yesterdays ride against the wind hurt. Looking dry out at the moment. SG you failed my ex is still breathing, just.
    Too many bikes according to Mrs O.
  • haydenmhaydenm Posts: 2,868
    edited 29 January
    Morning, had my car in for a service, extremely pleased that they reprogrammed the central locking to open all the doors on one click, I don't get carjacked often enough to need it. I spent the time drinking free coffee and yapping on the phone expanding my employment options.

    Do I:
    A) Move to a different company that I am in the early stages of talking to (a mate works there and would need to take things higher if I was serious)
    B ) Encourage the OH to take the 'relocation and promotion' route at her work and have to option of nearly anywhere in Europe, South America and a couple of other places then find local work there
    C) Stay were I am and hope it gets better

    The job at A would potentially be a step up (maybe not in pay) but be fairly similar to what I do now, involve a long commute or house move but keep me in the same industry using my current contacts, B probably wont pay well but would be a great experience and C) isn't likely but currently the most tempting option...
  • oxomanoxoman Posts: 7,532
    H, If the OH earns enough how about semi retirement with option B and enjoy life.
    Too many bikes according to Mrs O.
  • haydenmhaydenm Posts: 2,868
    oxoman said:

    H, If the OH earns enough how about semi retirement with option B and enjoy life.

    She currently earns £4k less than me before the free car, fuel and bonus but I imagine if they want her to relocate they'll give her a huge pay rise as she'd be going from Health safety & environment manager for their Scottish plant to some global role. I'd love to semi retire but at 28 I don't really want to cut off future earnings at this stage.

    I have a pay review at the end of Feb so I'll have to stay until then, it might all get a lot more bearable again...

    I might suggest to them they pay for me to do a distance learning degree or MBA so I have more options abroad then leave once it finishes
  • Stevo_666Stevo_666 Posts: 40,133

    tlw1 said:

    Should be a hybrid commute today but due to excessive fun in the eco car it needs yet another set of rear boots

    Later is hopefully a longer run than last night when I had to abandon to go and see the FIL who had a mini stroke :(

    Hope he's not too bad.

    Eco car doesn't sound very eco if it keeps needing new parts.
    Mind you, bikes are the same.
    Buying an Eco mobile and driving it like you stole it kinda defeats the object I reckon. Here's why:
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=F04MXepYiBs
    I can now drive around like a smug [email protected] :)

    Normal day at the office, minions getting on with stuff so I can do stuff undisturbed.
    Whippet
    Bruiser
    Panzer
    Commuter

    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666Stevo_666 Posts: 40,133
    haydenm said:

    Morning, had my car in for a service, extremely pleased that they reprogrammed the central locking to open all the doors on one click, I don't get carjacked often enough to need it. I spent the time drinking free coffee and yapping on the phone expanding my employment options.

    Do I:
    A) Move to a different company that I am in the early stages of talking to (a mate works there and would need to take things higher if I was serious)
    B ) Encourage the OH to take the 'relocation and promotion' route at her work and have to option of nearly anywhere in Europe, South America and a couple of other places then find local work there
    C) Stay were I am and hope it gets better

    The job at A would potentially be a step up (maybe not in pay) but be fairly similar to what I do now, involve a long commute or house move but keep me in the same industry using my current contacts, B probably wont pay well but would be a great experience and C) isn't likely but currently the most tempting option...

    If A has better future prospects than C, then I'd say A. Otherwise go C for now and see what happens - especially if you can go back to A/equivalent or B in future.
    Whippet
    Bruiser
    Panzer
    Commuter

    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • sungodsungod Posts: 12,304
    certainly worth looking at b as you are young/flexible

    europe can be a good move at the moment as afaik freedom of movement continues until the end of transition, you'd both be able to get established

    getting dual-nationality can be straightforward in some eu countries (but not all), combined with an extra language that would be good for future opportunity i.e. with multinationals operating uk-eu
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • haydenmhaydenm Posts: 2,868
    Stevo_666 said:

    haydenm said:

    Morning, had my car in for a service, extremely pleased that they reprogrammed the central locking to open all the doors on one click, I don't get carjacked often enough to need it. I spent the time drinking free coffee and yapping on the phone expanding my employment options.

    Do I:
    A) Move to a different company that I am in the early stages of talking to (a mate works there and would need to take things higher if I was serious)
    B ) Encourage the OH to take the 'relocation and promotion' route at her work and have to option of nearly anywhere in Europe, South America and a couple of other places then find local work there
    C) Stay were I am and hope it gets better

    The job at A would potentially be a step up (maybe not in pay) but be fairly similar to what I do now, involve a long commute or house move but keep me in the same industry using my current contacts, B probably wont pay well but would be a great experience and C) isn't likely but currently the most tempting option...

    If A has better future prospects than C, then I'd say A. Otherwise go C for now and see what happens - especially if you can go back to A/equivalent or B in future.
    That's probably the answer I have come to for now. Nice to have options for now, especially with a pay review on the way. I have been here since I graduated though (although we were bought, then subsequently merged with another business in that time) so a change might be good
  • homers_doublehomers_double Posts: 6,482
    Site meetings, stuff, winding down, fizzy plonk is on the horizon.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • pinnopinno Posts: 38,488
    B.
    S - The Brazilian beach volleyball team
    W - Wiggle Honda

    "This year will be harder than last year. But that is good news; this year will be easier than next year." President of Abyssinia's annual address to the nation.
  • veronese68veronese68 Posts: 22,391 Lives Here
    Piña is right, as is SG come to that.
  • awaveyawavey Posts: 2,368
    tried to book my car in for a service next month, Im not sure I was exactly reassured with the service booking in persons inability to remember anything Id told them just 2seconds later.
  • thistle_(mbnw)thistle_(mbnw) Posts: 3,360
    awavey said:

    tried to book my car in for a service next month, Im not sure I was exactly reassured with the service booking in persons inability to remember anything Id told them just 2seconds later.

    After you've dropped it in they'll just ring you anyway and ask what it's in for.
  • WheelspinnerWheelspinner Posts: 4,690
    haydenm said:

    Morning, had my car in for a service, extremely pleased that they reprogrammed the central locking to open all the doors on one click, I don't get carjacked often enough to need it. I spent the time drinking free coffee and yapping on the phone expanding my employment options.

    Do I:
    A) Move to a different company that I am in the early stages of talking to (a mate works there and would need to take things higher if I was serious)
    B ) Encourage the OH to take the 'relocation and promotion' route at her work and have to option of nearly anywhere in Europe, South America and a couple of other places then find local work there
    C) Stay were I am and hope it gets better

    The job at A would potentially be a step up (maybe not in pay) but be fairly similar to what I do now, involve a long commute or house move but keep me in the same industry using my current contacts, B probably wont pay well but would be a great experience and C) isn't likely but currently the most tempting option...

    If you could swing it, B would be my choice. if I had my “career” over again I’d have done that in a heartbeat.

    Maybe you could combine it with a Save The World mission and both go to Brazil. Their current forestry management plan appears to consist of “See a tree, burn it”, so an alternative proposal might be good. 😀
  • sungodsungod Posts: 12,304
    oxoman said:

    ...
    SG you failed my ex is still breathing, just.

    soz, got a backlog to waste
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • tlw1tlw1 Posts: 18,146

    Piña is right, as is SG come to that.

    Yep
  • tlw1tlw1 Posts: 18,146
    Cheers all re: FIL prognoses is better than expected, so all good(ish)

    Car still not got new boots, should be sorted tomorrow and the price is encouraging the fleet chap to replace my car this year
  • Stevo_666Stevo_666 Posts: 40,133
    tlw1 said:

    Cheers all re: FIL prognoses is better than expected, so all good(ish)

    Car still not got new boots, should be sorted tomorrow and the price is encouraging the fleet chap to replace my car this year

    Fingers crossed for your FIL.

    Get shot of the Eco milk float.
    Whippet
    Bruiser
    Panzer
    Commuter

    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • tlw1tlw1 Posts: 18,146
    Stevo_666 said:

    tlw1 said:

    Cheers all re: FIL prognoses is better than expected, so all good(ish)

    Car still not got new boots, should be sorted tomorrow and the price is encouraging the fleet chap to replace my car this year

    Fingers crossed for your FIL.

    Get shot of the Eco milk float.
    Cheers. Eco float makes a mockery of car tax, cheap tax yet 0-62 in sub 6.5 secs and according to a friend good for at least 150
  • thistle_(mbnw)thistle_(mbnw) Posts: 3,360
    tlw1 said:

    Stevo_666 said:

    tlw1 said:

    Cheers all re: FIL prognoses is better than expected, so all good(ish)

    Car still not got new boots, should be sorted tomorrow and the price is encouraging the fleet chap to replace my car this year

    Fingers crossed for your FIL.

    Get shot of the Eco milk float.
    Cheers. Eco float makes a mockery of car tax, cheap tax yet 0-62 in sub 6.5 secs and according to a friend good for at least 150
    Are you allowed to take it to a track day to see if he's correct?
  • tlw1tlw1 Posts: 18,146

    tlw1 said:

    Stevo_666 said:

    tlw1 said:

    Cheers all re: FIL prognoses is better than expected, so all good(ish)

    Car still not got new boots, should be sorted tomorrow and the price is encouraging the fleet chap to replace my car this year

    Fingers crossed for your FIL.

    Get shot of the Eco milk float.
    Cheers. Eco float makes a mockery of car tax, cheap tax yet 0-62 in sub 6.5 secs and according to a friend good for at least 150
    Are you allowed to take it to a track day to see if he's correct?
    :)
  • pinnopinno Posts: 38,488
    edited 29 January
    tlw1 said:

    Stevo_666 said:

    tlw1 said:

    Cheers all re: FIL prognoses is better than expected, so all good(ish)

    Car still not got new boots, should be sorted tomorrow and the price is encouraging the fleet chap to replace my car this year

    Fingers crossed for your FIL.

    Get shot of the Eco milk float.
    Cheers. Eco float makes a mockery of car tax, cheap tax yet 0-62 in sub 6.5 secs and according to a friend good for at least 150
    Wtf is it, a Tesla?

    Got new boots for the Porker on chewsday. Christ it was scary but they're strangely bedding in well.
    Took it to a disused car lot and ragged the last legal mm off the tyres to a. have fun and b. compare grip. Pretty good really - Bridgestone Potenza's (odd but legal wear pattern on the shoulders which is par cours apparently).
    Then drove it with new (rear) boots and it drove like a drunk ice skater.
    As I say - bedding in now.Going like a hooligan round the roundabout (50 yds from my house) scrubbed them a bit :)
    S - The Brazilian beach volleyball team
    W - Wiggle Honda

    "This year will be harder than last year. But that is good news; this year will be easier than next year." President of Abyssinia's annual address to the nation.
  • veronese68veronese68 Posts: 22,391 Lives Here
    tlw1 said:

    Cheers all re: FIL prognoses is better than expected, so all good(ish)

    Glad it sounds good(ish). As I said to my mate, better to have a few small strokes now and get it sorted than to wait and have a big one.
    Still fookin’ scary, don’t get me wrong on that one.
  • ballysmateballysmate Posts: 13,876
    edited 29 January
    Neighbour had a stroke last year. Proper full stroke.
    12 months older than me.
    Scary 5h1t.
    Good news about fil Tlw.
  • tlw1tlw1 Posts: 18,146
    pinno said:

    tlw1 said:

    Stevo_666 said:

    tlw1 said:

    Cheers all re: FIL prognoses is better than expected, so all good(ish)

    Car still not got new boots, should be sorted tomorrow and the price is encouraging the fleet chap to replace my car this year

    Fingers crossed for your FIL.

    Get shot of the Eco milk float.
    Cheers. Eco float makes a mockery of car tax, cheap tax yet 0-62 in sub 6.5 secs and according to a friend good for at least 150
    Wtf is it, a Tesla?

    Got new boots for the Porker on chewsday. Christ it was scary but they're strangely bedding in well.
    Took it to a disused car lot and ragged the last legal mm off the tyres to a. have fun and b. compare grip. Pretty good really - Bridgestone Potenza's (odd but legal wear pattern on the shoulders which is par cours apparently).
    Then drove it with new (rear) boots and it drove like a drunk ice skater.
    As I say - bedding in now.Going like a hooligan round the roundabout (50 yds from my house) scrubbed them a bit :)
    It’s the kind considerate baby brother of Stevo’s
  • tlw1tlw1 Posts: 18,146
    Pino - can’t beat car park fun
Sign In or Register to comment.