What chain lube are people using these days?

13»

Comments

• drhaggis
    drhaggis Posts: 1,150
    I have no PhD in Chemistry, and my knowledge of tribology is thin to say the least. Having said that, my ignorant self is offended by both a noisy chain (noise being wasted energy) and black gunk on the chain. As a commuter 4 days a week in Edinburgh, there is no farking chance I'll wash my bike daily. I have family and live in a flat.

With those constraints, Squirt works reasonably for me. It lasts way longer than effoff dry lube (useless, gone after a bloody puddle), it gets a lot less gunky than effoff wet lube, seems to be un-noisy for about an autumn week (~130 km) and it's a lot less of a faff to clean than previous experiences.
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    alanyu said:

Smoove, if you can't get that, Squirt. Both are the similar (same) compounds.

The only annoying thing is you need to degrease/clean the chain thoroughly before the first time lubing, but after that it's very easy to use: apply ten drops upside and ten drops downside after 100~200 (Smoove) / 80~150 (Squirt) miles riding, spin the crank and leave it there, no need to wipe. Then you can have a nice ride the next day.

The friction is in the first tier. AFAIK, the fastest lubes are: 1, CS UFO; 2, Molten Speed Wax; 3, Smoove; 4, Squirt; ...

That is not the correct way to apply Smoove. See their video for proper application;

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=z-Xem5oqQ_0

PP
  • Mucoff C3 Ceramic Dry, its good for a couple of hundred miles, then a good chain clean and re-apply, the chain doesn't go black and it runs quietly. I tried the wet version, but that ended up a sticky mess, won't use that again.
  • What ever is on offer for BST. GMT I will use ep90 gear oil.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    neeb said:

I've been using Finish Line wet lube for decades - mainly because I don't want to have to think about reapplying oil between chain washes and even bikes that are mainly ridden in dry conditions are sometimes ridden in the wet. I always wipe thoroughly after applying but it does attract dirt.

Have seen one or two new products advertised recently - is there anything which is apply-and-forget, efficient (in friction terms) and doesn't attract too much dirt?

"What chain lube are....?" Most likely all of them. Any of the 1000's of brands out there are most likely used by someone or they wouldn't be on the market long. As an afterthought to this, don't ask which one is best. No one knows.
  • anjasola
    anjasola Posts: 145
    Tried RnR, not for me ,back to Squirt.