Dream bike - what would you spend?

Comments

• bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    My current best bike is now my dream bike, but it evolved over a number of years rather than being something off the shelf that I splashed out on all at once. It started as a Scott CR1 frameset to which I added SRAM Rival groupset and Dura Ace C24 wheels. The wheels then became 50 mm carbon, the groupset SRAM eTap, the finishing kit was upgraded to Zipp carbon stuff, then the frameset was changed to a De Rosa SK. I then added aero integrated bars and upgraded to lighter, tubeless compatible carbon wheels. Probably spent about £4-£4.5k for the current configuration, but never more than £1.6k at the one time, and almost everything I have bought has been heavily discounted.
  • bobones wrote:
    My current best bike is now my dream bike, but it evolved over a number of years rather than being something off the shelf that I splashed out on all at once. It started as a Scott CR1 frameset to which I added SRAM Rival groupset and Dura Ace C24 wheels. The wheels then became 50 mm carbon, the groupset SRAM eTap, the finishing kit was upgraded to Zipp carbon stuff, then the frameset was changed to a De Rosa SK. I then added aero integrated bars and upgraded to lighter, tubeless compatible carbon wheels. Probably spent about £4-£4.5k for the current configuration, but never more than £1.6k at the one time, and almost everything I have bought has been heavily discounted.

That's evolved like Trigger's broom! Pretty much what I do however :D
    Scott Foil RC
    Scott Addict RC
    Trek Emonda
  • matt_n-2
    matt_n-2 Posts: 581
    Probably about £9k:

Pegoretti Responsorium
    Super Record 12spd
    Bora WTO 45
    Deda carbon finishing kit and a nice saddle

Or about £10.5k:

Colnago Concept
    Super Record 12spd EPS
    Bora WTO 60
    Colnago R41 carbon cockpit
    Colnago Master Olympic
    Colnago CLX 3.0
    Colnago Dream
    Giant Trinity Advanced
    Italian steel winter hack
  • alistaird
    alistaird Posts: 290
    I have two of mine. Lusted after both years ago and hunted for the right frames on eBay for years until I could afford them. Colnago E1 and Pinarello Dogma FPX, both builds together probably cost less than either frame would have cost new.... And the FPX was NOS.

A
    Alistair

Best Weather Bike - Time ZXRS
    Summer Road Bike - Pinarello FPX Dogma
    Winter Road Bike- Colnago E1
    Being Dismantled - Sintesi Blade
    Mountain Bike - Sold them all....
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,157
    Looks at current account, that much. Not enough? Save up. But get what you want, not what's trendy and especially not what the pros ride. They don't get a choice.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • ibr17xvii
    ibr17xvii Posts: 1,065
    Can you use an allen key, screwdriver and a pair of wire cutters?

If so, you can build a bike.

It's really THAT simple. And I am incredibly cack-handed.

Really? :shock:

I'd love to buy all the bits & pieces and build a bike myself, not necessarily for the cost saving but just for the satisfaction.

However my mechanical "skills" are questionable to say the least & although I'd like to I just don't believe it's that easy.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    yes - it is really really simple.

its a collection of 20 allen bolts - either M4 or M5
    5 screws
    a bottom bracket
    a set of headset bearings tha generally drop in

err thats it really

2/3 allen keys for the bolts
    #1 phillips or japanese standard screwdriver depending on mech make
    wire snips
    tourque key for £12 to make sure its all at the right tourque.

for the b/b either buy the tool for a tenner or borrow one
    if you really need a headset press thats £15 or buy one

brakes bolt to holes in frame
    rear mech can only go in one place
    front mech same.
    seat post, cages, stem, bars, brifters - same
    cranks - as above

its very, very simple.

4hrs to build it immaculate, everything greased, oiled, fettled, ready to roll.

don't believe clubbies/bloke in shop who says its complicated. Fiddly sometimes but not actually that difficult.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,516
    S works Tarmac with discs.

I couldn’t justify the price of a new bike so second hand is the route here but even then I’m upgrading from a SL5 Tarmac expert pro so the difference in performance will be negligible and the return on investment in this case is still hard to justify in monetary terms.

So I’ve set myself a goal , 4 FTP/kg for next Spring/ summer. I’m currently 1.88 due to not riding for 18 months but I’ve found the love again so the cash is one consideration the effort, focus and resilience will cost me a lot more.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • yes - it is really really simple.

5 screws
    a bottom bracket

err thats it really

wire snips

front mech same.
    cranks - as above

its very, very simple.

don't believe clubbies/bloke in shop who says its complicated. Fiddly sometimes but not actually that difficult.

Plus youtube is your friend. Anything you're not sure about? There's bound to be a video with a how to plus hints and tips
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,157
    yes - it is really really simple.

5 screws
    a bottom bracket

err thats it really

wire snips

front mech same.
    cranks - as above

its very, very simple.

Plus youtube is your friend. Anything you're not sure about? There's bound to be a video with a how to plus hints and tips
    Not only that, but once built you know how to maintain the bike.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,940
    It is pretty simple at the end of the day, your only bolting bits together in the main.
    Setting up rim brakes is not exactly a huge area for skill, as mentioned youtube will show you all you need to know.

The ony area of potential fettling, and adjusting you may need to do is in indexing the gears, but even that is not the mystical thing I thought it once was.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    its very, very simple.

Well.....

You also need:
    Pliers, cassette tool, chain whip (to get the cassette back off again), spoke tool, tube of grease. Possibly another tool (often large allen key or back of the BB tool) to attach the left crank. Bleeding kit if using hydraulic brakes.

Bar tape can be a bit awkward to do a neat job the first couple of times (but practice makes perfect - use the bar end plugs that tighten up with a 3mm allen key). Make sure the shifters are in the right place before doing the bar tape.

Wheels can be a bit time consuming the first couple of times, but get a lot easier once you get a feel for how far to turn the spoke key for what effect. Much easier with a truing stand and tension gauge.

4 hours sounds about right; I just built 3 new CX bikes, took around 1.5 hours each without wheels, plus around an hour each for 4 new wheels.

The first time you do it, allow an elapsed time of a couple of weeks to order all the odds and ends you forgot to buy (bar end plugs, seat clamps, cable adjusters, bottle cage bolts, front mech hanger etc etc etc.)

If you don't build your own bikes, how do you get the combination of components you want?
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    ibr17xvii wrote:
    Can you use an allen key, screwdriver and a pair of wire cutters?

If so, you can build a bike.

It's really THAT simple. And I am incredibly cack-handed.

Really? :shock:

I'd love to buy all the bits & pieces and build a bike myself, not necessarily for the cost saving but just for the satisfaction.

However my mechanical "skills" are questionable to say the least & although I'd like to I just don't believe it's that easy.
    My 10 year old helped me build his last Cyclo-cross bike.He had an idea where stuff went so I just showed him then let him do it.Wheels were pre-built and headset/fork were already installed.Cables were all external so slightly easier.Took about 3 hours but he struggled a bit on indexing the rear mech.He got it though.
    It really is not difficult at all.
  • Matthewfalle
    TGOTB wrote:
    its very, very simple.

Well.....

You also need:
    Pliers, cassette tool, chain whip (to get the cassette back off again), spoke tool, tube of grease. Possibly another tool (often large allen key or back of the BB tool) to attach the left crank. Bleeding kit if using hydraulic brakes.

Bar tape can be a bit awkward to do a neat job the first couple of times (but practice makes perfect - use the bar end plugs that tighten up with a 3mm allen key). Make sure the shifters are in the right place before doing the bar tape.

Wheels can be a bit time consuming the first couple of times, but get a lot easier once you get a feel for how far to turn the spoke key for what effect. Much easier with a truing stand and tension gauge.

4 hours sounds about right; I just built 3 new CX bikes, took around 1.5 hours each without wheels, plus around an hour each for 4 new wheels.

The first time you do it, allow an elapsed time of a couple of weeks to order all the odds and ends you forgot to buy (bar end plugs, seat clamps, cable adjusters, bottle cage bolts, front mech hanger etc etc etc.)

If you don't build your own bikes, how do you get the combination of components you want?

Just buy factory wheels. All sorted from the box and no need for spoke keys, etc.

But agree with the other points.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • You've all forgotten to factor in beers to your build time/equipment lists.

Of all the bikes I've had my Trek Domane is the only one I've had to resort to shop help for and that was a wheel true and a basta2d rear brake which no matter how clear and bubble free the fluid was still felt spongy. And still isn't as good as I can get my MTB brakes.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • Matthewfalle
    You've all forgotten to factor in beer, blow 'n' ho to your build time/equipment lists.

Of all the bikes I've had my Trek Domane is the only one I've had to resort to shop help for and that was a wheel true and a basta2d rear brake which no matter how clear and bubble free the fluid was still felt spongy. And still isn't as good as I can get my MTB brakes.

ftfy - hope you don't mind

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • ibr17xvii
    Maybe 1 day I'll have a go but for now when my dream bike comes along it will be from a shop :lol:
  • Matthewfalle
    why?

carpe diem
    a life lived in fear is a life half lived

at least choose it all separately exactly as you want then get someone to build it.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • ibr17xvii
    why?

carpe diem
    a life lived in fear is a life half lived

at least choose it all separately exactly as you want then get someone to build it.

That is on my bucket list to do before I give up cycling.
  • Matthewfalle
    why wait that long?

start doing it now to spread the cost - you could keel over tomorrow morning and it would never be done.

do it. do it. do it. do it now. do it.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • sniper68
    ibr17xvii wrote:
    Maybe 1 day I'll have a go but for now when my dream bike comes along it will be from a shop :lol:
    Then it’s just a bike....any old run of the mill bike.No matter if it’s £1k or £10k it’s still like all the others.
  • Matthewfalle
    Sniper68 wrote:
    ibr17xvii wrote:
    Then it’s just a bike....any old run of the mill bike.No matter if it’s £1k or £10k it’s still like all the others.

this exactly.

with handlebars that don't fit you properly and a shyyyt saddle.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • tgotb
    Sniper68 wrote:
    ibr17xvii wrote:

this exactly.

And the wrong length of cranks.

By the time you've changed the gearing, cranks, bars stem, saddle, wheels and tyres, you might aswell have built the bike yourself anyway. And that's assuming you were able to get the frame you wanted with the groupset you wanted.

To answer the OP's question, because I've jsut realised I never did:
    Six years ago I built two identical CX bikes, using my ideal groupset, bars, crankset etc, on decent but economical frames, with decent but economical wheels. A lot of the bits were acquired over a period of time, looking out for special offers, liquidaton sales, decent second-hand components etc. Total cost ~£2.5k.
    Over the course of the next couple of years I built 4 tub wheelsets on deep section carbon rims and 2 tubeless clincher wheelsets (also carbon rims). Stiff as you like and ~1300g a set. Total cost ~£2.2k
    At the end of last season I picked up a pair of my absolute ideal dream frames, 1 year old, and transferred all the bits over - Total cost ~£1.2k
    I then sold the better of the old frames and both sets of the original wheels for ~£600.

That leaves me with a matching pair of my dream bikes, 2 sets of carbon training wheels, 4 sets of deep section carbon race wheels and a spare frame for just over £5k. Put another way, I've had 5 years of racing at £1k per annum, and have 2 top-notch 7.5kg CX bikes to show for it. I was reflecting the other day that, not only are these bikes more capable than the MTB I had 25 years ago, they're also a lot lighter and stiffer than the (quite decent) road bike I had at the same time...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • Dream is difficult to define. If it's lottery, then my bike garage would be like Jay Leno's car garage.

But, my dream? With my salary? A little inheritance? I'll be honest and say I'd draw the line at 5k. Probably even £4k.

I don't know WHAT bike it would be, but in terms of what LEVEL I'd like it to be than something like a Trek Domane SL7 Disc with Etap and Carbon wheels is enough of a level. Beyond that, I'd find it difficult to justify even if it is my dream.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • ibr17xvii
    Sniper68 wrote:
    ibr17xvii wrote:

this exactly.

I can (just about) change a saddle :lol:
  • To me it's sad that people dream of disc breaks.
  • sniper68
    To me it's sad that people dream of disc breaks.
    Having disc brakes break would be more of a nightmare..... :P
  • F***
  • tgotb
    Sniper68 wrote:
    I'm toying with making my own carbon rotors, so it could happen!
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • Matthewfalle
    TGOTB wrote:
    Sniper68 wrote:
    I'm toying with making my own carbon rotors, so it could happen!

can you video the first ride for us please.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.