Dream bike - what would you spend?

redvision
redvision Posts: 2,958
edited October 2019 in Road buying advice
Morning,

Last weekend I visited lots of bikes shops to have a look at the 2020 ranges in the flesh, and also see what bargains there were. I wasn't looking for anything in particular, although was very keen to see the specialized venge s-works. And it really is quite something!

When I was in the stores what hit me was the cost of some models. I knew the s-works venge was upwards of 9k, but there was one pinarello over 12k and the assistant was telling me there is a McLaren bike over 16k!

Whilst I love my sl5 s-works tarmac, and having had a bit of a rough year, I did/do find myself tempted to splash out and really treat myself.

The store were clearly pushing for the bigger sale and making out that the current venge was a considerable upgrade on my current bike, and the s-works model is significantly better than the cheaper pro model (although the reviews I have looked at suggest the only differences are slightly lower grade carbon, no power meter and 50mm rims rather than 64mm).

Anyway, I have been mulling over splashing the cash but then have been thinking, the usual dilemma, is it really worth paying the extra for a 'dream' bike over one 30% cheaper yet only marginally inferior (possibly too harsh a word).

So whilst I'm deep in deliberation, thought I would throw the question out there, what is the max you would spend on a bike? Assuming you could afford it, would you pay for the top model dream bike, or fight the temptation and go for the cheaper option which would by all accounts ride the same but not have the fashion label (eg s-works).

Interested to hear opinions.

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    When I got my first job I got my dream bike. Custom steel by a builder who made for world champions. Top components and groupset too. It wouldn't have been outclassed in any pro tour peleton.

And it wasn't crazy expensive either.

Nowadays with 5 figure bikes - it seems prices have skyrocketed.

My bike was lovely but it's such marginal gains for amateurs on flash bikes.

I've a nice summer bike now - it's not that expensive but I could spend double on it and not see any real performance improvement.

It's not about the bike - it's what you do with it and where you go.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I was thinking the same. For ages it seemed like you'd get a decent enough bike for £800-£1k. Last couple of years I've noticed a lot of the review bikes are round the £2k mark, and very recently £3k, £4k, £5k bikes are becoming the new normal. Not sure if it's the rise and rise of electronic shifting and hydraulic discs on road bikes, Brexit related weakness of the pound, or the global cycling industry suddenly jacking prices up.

I keep changing my mind about the kind of bike I'll be buying when I retire and raid my pension...
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    cougie wrote:
    It's not about the bike - it's what you do with it and where you go.

As above. It's amazing how many Ferraris and Lamborghinis you see stuck in London traffic...
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I was convinced I'd get myself a Colnago for my 50th (that's gone now) and then for retirement - but I just can't see it now.

I might just get a respray on my current bike.
  • I am currently having a Custom 853 road bike made by Varonha Frameworks https://www.varonha.co.uk/. Its less than £2k. I will build it with Dura Ace mechanical and Harry Rowland Wheels. It will be gorgeous.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,060
    Ithink it's a shame that the ordinary punter can no longer afford the top level kit. It's just nice to know your frame is the same one the pros rode in the Tour but for me at least it's not £6-7k nice ! In the past I did buy a Look585 - when Hushovd was winning Tour stages on one - with a tax rebate - the money wouldn't touch the sides of a new top end Look now.

I've had my bike, a Neil Pryde BuraSL for about 4 years now, I'd think about getting a new one but it just doesn't make sense unless I wanted to go for discs. The Bura handles really well, it's still a light stiff frame, so instaed of a new bike I'm just going to look for a set of deep sections (probably second hand), recable, chain, cassette and race it next year.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    decide what you want then shop around for best prices - obvs a custom frameset will be from ypur framemaker but why just open a cheque book and buy everything at one price from one place?

its more fun shopping around, will open you to ideas you haven't thought of and any pennies saved can be spent on blow/ho/blood transfusions.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    I actually pretty much have my dream bike. Only thing I would have differently is the frame not have cable mounts and a slightly shorter steerer tube. Possibly swap it to disc brake but rims work fine generally.
    So basically my existing one but in disc form, which ironically is available.
  • fenix

its more fun shopping around

This ! In your dreams the bike is always silent and perfect and never punctures. As soon as you buy any bike - you'll scratch the bugger.
  • redvision wrote:
    The store were clearly pushing for the bigger sale and making out that the current venge was a considerable upgrade on my current bike, and the s-works model is significantly better than the cheaper pro model (although the reviews I have looked at suggest the only differences are slightly lower grade carbon, no power meter and 50mm rims rather than 64mm).

Not sure what reviews you're reading but the S-Works Venge frame and the Pro are exactly the same, albeit one says Specialized on the downtube, while the other says S-Works. The latter is more expensive due to the groupset, cranks and wheels.

https://www.bikeradar.com/news/the-2019 ... -disguise/
  • w00dster
    w00dster Posts: 880
    I looked at buying the Venge last year (2018 model), along with the System Six, Madone and Aeroad.
    I was given a healthy budget (over £7k). But couldn’t bring myself to spend that much. In the end went with the Aeroad CF SLX 8.0 (Ultegra Di2 model) in the Canyon sale for £2900.
    Glad so didn’t spend the max budget to be honest. I also ride MTB a lot and wanted a new full sus trail bike as well.
    If money wasn’t an issue (ie, lottery win), then £15k on your hobby seems fine?
  • redvision
    Some really interesting replies and views.

I guess life really is too short to dream, it's about living, so if financially affordable why put off getting something you want??

Not sure what reviews you're reading but the S-Works Venge frame and the Pro are exactly the same, albeit one says Specialized on the downtube, while the other says S-Works. The latter is more expensive due to the groupset, cranks and wheels.

I had read that article, that's why i was surprised when the concept store told me there was a difference, and Specialized have confirmed this responding to my query they said that the carbon layup is slightly different on the s-works model, increasing stiffness and slightly reducing weight. Although by all accounts, i bet virtually no-one could tell the difference.

The thing which put me off the Pro model is the colour scheme. The black is fine, but the colour of the branding is not for me, and the purple is a definite no go in my eyes.

The more i think about it the more tempted i am, although i may opt for the 2019 model which is reduced by about 20% at most stores.
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,523
    What would I spend one my new best bike?
    Just spent £3.5k on a new one - arrives tomorrow.
  • redvision
    Singleton wrote:

What you gone for?
  • redvision wrote:
    Some really interesting replies and views.

I guess life really is too short to dream, it's about living, so if financially affordable why put off getting something you want??

I had read that article, that's why i was surprised when the concept store told me there was a difference, and Specialized have confirmed this responding to my query they said that the carbon layup is slightly different on the s-works model, increasing stiffness and slightly reducing weight. Although by all accounts, i bet virtually no-one could tell the difference.

The thing which put me off the Pro model is the colour scheme. The black is fine, but the colour of the branding is not for me, and the purple is a definite no go in my eyes.

The more i think about it the more tempted i am, although i may opt for the 2019 model which is reduced by about 20% at most stores.

It’s the same frame. They weigh the same and they use the same carbon layup. It’s down to the bits bolted on and a logo. There’s no argument. It’s the same frame.
  • redvision
    That's not what specialized themselves have advised me... :o
  • singleton
    redvision wrote:
    Singleton wrote:

What you gone for?

2019 Tarmac expert disc.
    It's got the top tarmac frame without going to s-works, cl50 disc wheels (upgraded from the C38 standard fit) and mechanical Ultegra groupset.
  • singleton

It’s the same frame. They weigh the same and they use the same carbon layup. It’s down to the bits bolted on and a logo. There’s no argument. It’s the same frame.

Mate has a 2019 Venge pro and was told that it's the same frame.
    Layup on both is 11r carbon - but they might describe them as "different" since one has "S-Works" written on it and the other has "Specialized" written on it.
  • Singleton wrote:
    redvision wrote:
    Singleton wrote:

What you gone for?

2019 Tarmac expert disc.
    It's got the top tarmac frame without going to s-works, cl50 disc wheels (upgraded from the C38 standard fit) and mechanical Ultegra groupset.

Have just bought the rim brake S-Works version in the sales. Also got Dura Ace mechanical to go on it
  • I met a guy the other day who had just shelled out £10,500 on a Pinarello frame. He thought he'd got a good deal because the store sold him a full Campag Record groupset at 30% off and fitted it for free!
    Guy is aged 73 and rides 20 miles to the caff twice a week.
    He's happy. It's his money and he won't starve. He can't see why he should save it for his kids when he can enjoy it.

Can't see that argument standing up if I tried it.
  • fenix
    He paid 10 grand for the frame alone ? Sounds like the shop saw him coming.

What frame is worth 10 grand ?
  • singleton
    Have just bought the rim brake S-Works version in the sales. Also got Dura Ace mechanical to go on it

Nice.
    Another of my mates has 3 or 4 tarmacs of various specs including an sl6 Sagan S-Works - but with electronic groupset.
  • Fenix wrote:

Yup. Must agree with you. But he was happy. Think it included fancy carbon wheels as well, but still waaaay too much.
    SWMBO says he's got more money than sense.
  • Fenix wrote:

Yup. Must agree with you. But he was happy. Think it included fancy carbon wheels as well, but still waaaay too much.
    SWMBO says he's got more money than sense.

To be fair, it sounds like he could have a lot of sense and that would still be true.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,940
    Tricky one - when I started road riding (Around 2007), I would have said 1k would have been my max budget for a dream bike.

Times change, and I'm far more passionate about it than I was at the start, and I train fairly hard, so feel I can justify (to myself) better quality kit.

I also need to want to ride/wear whatever it is, otherwise I am less likely to ride.

For me now, max budget would be around the 4k mark - would seem nuts to plenty of people, and that is there prerogative entirely, but I don't have any other vices in life.

At the end of the day, as long as you can afford it, and not get into debt as a result, I see no problem with it.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • redvision
    I met a guy the other day who had just shelled out £10,500 on a Pinarello frame. He thought he'd got a good deal because the store sold him a full Campag Record groupset at 30% off and fitted it for free!
    Guy is aged 73 and rides 20 miles to the caff twice a week.
    He's happy. It's his money and he won't starve. He can't see why he should save it for his kids when he can enjoy it.

Can't see that argument standing up if I tried it.

Well I think 10k would be my absolute limit, but i would want a full bike.

That said, if he has the money, if it's his dream machine and will make him ride more often or enjoy his rides more, then good for him.

I guess that's what is the most important thing, finding the bike which you can't wait to get out on each and every time.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I'm not sure Pinarello actually make a ten grand frame.

You can buy two Dogma F12s for that price.

What's more expensive than that ?
  • Matthewfalle
    three dogma f12s?

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    cougie wrote:
    I'm not sure Pinarello actually make a ten grand frame.

You can buy two Dogma F12s for that price.

What's more expensive than that ?

remember though that this story comes from someone who doesn't know what a bcd is and can't fit a tyre amongst other things, so it could be anything really ......

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    I suppose it depends why you are buying it - want or need. It"s definitely 'want' for me. I don't race or compete but spent about £2k on my BMC. Its worth about twice as much as each of my other bikes and is a definite step up in quality. I'm definitely faster on it, according to Strava at least, but there is absolutely no need for me to have it other than to make me feel good - good enough reason for me. My dream bike is probably my Bianchi - purely because I wanted one as a teenager and treated myself to one a few years ago - not the top of the range by any means, but just one that reminded me of the one I lusted after when I was 14 years old. It cost me about £900 and still makes me smile when I look at it 8)
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"