Dream bike - what would you spend?

Comments

• mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,804
    https://youtu.be/jzDMNK7DglI

On the subject of the Venge, I must confess to having watched this a few times...
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Maybe a better question would be if you won the lottery jackpot tonight what you buy with your 190,000€
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    I've built my "dream" bike(s) a few times over the years but in reality I don't think it exists.I built a £4.5K Nukeproof Mega MTB that I rode probably a dozen times.It looked nice,rode brilliant but I still preferred my £2.5k 3 year old Enduro.
    I built my current Canyon Ultimate CF SL in 2015 and TBH I love it but I've had a little itch I need to scratch so have ordered a Ti frame-set.It's a Winter project and I'm going for SRAM wireless/Hydros and hand built wheels.No fixed budget,it will cost what it costs and this will be my last build for a while........the wife stopped getting involved years ago :lol:
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Webboo wrote:
    Maybe a better question would be if you won the lottery jackpot tonight what you buy with your 190,000€

totes probs something like a Bastion with EPS or eTap or SR mechanical and shedloads of blow/ho/blood transfusions
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Webboo wrote:

totes probs something like a Bastion with EPS or eTap or SR mechanical and shedloads of blow/ho/blood transfusions
    Not a custom built Titanium shed.
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Hmmm, ok, so from a few of the above posts, maybe the dream bike should be built yourself. So would not only be the dream frame and bits, but come with that much more satisfaction and pride knowing you put it together.

Food for thought.
  • Matthewfalle
    redvision wrote:
    Hmmm, ok, so from a few of the above posts, maybe the dream bike should be built yourself. So would not only be the dream frame and bits, but come with that much more satisfaction and pride knowing you put it together.

Food for thought.

this definitly

if you haven't chosen every part and built it yourself/had a major part in building it then its just a bike from a box in shop/off the internet.

its something a dentist or clubbie would do.

no matter how much bullshine the shop dude gives you, its still just a bike from a box.

blandola

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Don't get a giant defy either. Even with zipp 808s and SRAM asx 12speed and all the bells and whistles it would make me yawn
  • Matthewfalle
    Webboo wrote:
    Webboo wrote:

actually, now you mention it, that would be mega cool.

with a hidden secret dungeon section for ho/blow interaction.

i like your thinking.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Blood spinning equipment?
  • If you keep an eye out for sale bargains you can build up your dream bike for “relatively “ little outlay. Back in 2016 I managed to bag a brand new cannondale supersix HM frame for £750 from Paul’s cycles. Considering these had an rrp of over 2k it was an offer I couldn’t refuse. A month later Planet X had a full DA 9000 groupset on sale for £700 that I snapped up. Because I already had a Sram red crankset that came with a pm I sold the DA chainset for £200. Got some carbon LB rims built up on DA hubs, picked up some Deda finishing kit (seatpost, stem, handlebars) so all in a Tour standard bike cost me around 2.3k. Ok it isn’t cheap (in my eyes) but to get an equivalent off the shelf cannondale at the time it’d of cost me well over 5.5 grand
  • Matthewfalle
    Blood spinning equipment?

thats in the secret secret squirrel bit.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    If you keep an eye out for sale bargains you can build up your dream bike for “relatively “ little outlay. Back in 2016 I managed to bag a brand new cannondale supersix HM frame for £750 from Paul’s cycles. Considering these had an rrp of over 2k it was an offer I couldn’t refuse. A month later Planet X had a full DA 9000 groupset on sale for £700 that I snapped up. Because I already had a Sram red crankset that came with a pm I sold the DA chainset for £200. Got some carbon LB rims built up on DA hubs, picked up some Deda finishing kit (seatpost, stem, handlebars) so all in a Tour standard bike cost me around 2.3k. Ok it isn’t cheap (in my eyes) but to get an equivalent off the shelf cannondale at the time it’d of cost me well over 5.5 grand

pics? sounds very promising.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Webboo wrote:
    Webboo wrote:

actually, now you mention it, that would be mega cool.

with a hidden secret dungeon section for ho/blow interaction.

i like your thinking.

Probably nick my Ti bike to complete his stable :lol:
  • Matthewfalle
    now you mention it, its a cheaper option than buying one.

good point well presented.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • andyh01
    andyh01 Posts: 599
    Singleton wrote:
    redvision wrote:
    Singleton wrote:
    What would I spend one my new best bike?
    Just spent £3.5k on a new one - arrives tomorrow.

What you gone for?

2019 Tarmac expert disc.
    It's got the top tarmac frame without going to s-works, cl50 disc wheels (upgraded from the C38 standard fit) and mechanical Ultegra groupset.

Have just bought the rim brake S-Works version in the sales. Also got Dura Ace mechanical to go on it

Not so long ago I spent the most on a bike I ever have before £3.5k but went for a practical do.it all adventure /gravel bike,Mason Bokeh with 35 mm tyre, ok only do social club rides average 16mph or so, and can keep up with others on aero bike with deep section wheels.
    If I was buying again, especially now I've lost body weight and got fitter. I still desire a carbon frame something worthy of hanging SR mechanical (don't fancy electric) off it with some decent branded deep section wheels
    . Even something off the peg like colnago or condor with Dr, carbon wheels and half decent fk is circa £10k to make it different enough from what I have.
    I'd rather buy a Garmin Fenix 6 watch, smart turbo trainer with zwift maybe the kicker and decent kit first.
  • If you keep an eye out for sale bargains you can build up your dream bike for “relatively “ little outlay. Back in 2016 I managed to bag a brand new cannondale supersix HM frame for £750 from Paul’s cycles. Considering these had an rrp of over 2k it was an offer I couldn’t refuse. A month later Planet X had a full DA 9000 groupset on sale for £700 that I snapped up. Because I already had a Sram red crankset that came with a pm I sold the DA chainset for £200. Got some carbon LB rims built up on DA hubs, picked up some Deda finishing kit (seatpost, stem, handlebars) so all in a Tour standard bike cost me around 2.3k. Ok it isn’t cheap (in my eyes) but to get an equivalent off the shelf cannondale at the time it’d of cost me well over 5.5 grand

pics? sounds very promising.
    https://flic.kr/p/WMgx3H
  • Matthewfalle
    little cutie there dude - top work!

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • I could spend an absolute fortune....................................

And still be slow!
  • Longshot
    Longshot Posts: 940
    redvision wrote:

Food for thought.

this definitly

if you haven't chosen every part and built it yourself/had a major part in building it then its just a bike from a box in shop/off the internet.

no matter how much bullshine the shop dude gives you, its still just a bike from a box.

blandola

That's great and all but I'd like my dream bike to:

a) not fall apart straight away
    b) work
    You can fool some of the people all of the time. Concentrate on those people.
  • Can you use an allen key, screwdriver and a pair of wire cutters?

If so, you can build a bike.

It's really THAT simple. And I am incredibly cack-handed.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,940
    There is a LOT to be said for building one up.

My CR1 was my first dream bike, bargain frame, bargain groupset, and then spent around 18 months looking for the perfect parts for it.
    Wheels are the most notable part you can get right first time with a self build, and if you're a fussy bugger like me, you can then go to town on the specific stem type / length, handlebars, seatpost, saddle etc, without having to remove and sell the old ones.
    That cost me pretty much 2K on the nose, but would have been circa 4.5k off the peg, had one been available with that level of spec.

It is rather special having the bike exactly as you want it, each single part you have scoped out, evaluated, bought and fitted.

There aren't many difficult bits to do - I would say fitting the headset with a press (for someone who has never done one before) was a bit of a nervous moment.
    BB was already fitted - the only other part that caused me concern was chopping the steerer down.
    BUT there was loads of tube to practice with, so I invested a whole £7 in a carbon cutting hand saw, carried out two practice cuts (Think I bought a cutting guide as well) and had no issues. I did this as I was building two bikes at the same time, but if it's just the one, you could easily ask your lbs to tackle those jobs for you.

The Foil was my second dream bike, and was a comparative bargain in a closing down sale - I flogged the Zipp 30 wheels as soon as it arrived, and replaced with some deep rim mavic wheels - everything else is currently stock, not least because the seatpost is propiatary, and the bars and stem are an all in one unit.
    Saddle is frustratingly comfy, but planning to swap it out at some point - probably.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • w00dster
    w00dster Posts: 880
    All depends on individuals. I’m entirely happy buying straight from a shop/internet for a “dream bike”.
    I have zero interest in building one, maybe a custom frame and paint job with the components added to by the builder, but don’t really see the difference between buying a bike with the group set you want or buying a frame and adding the group set yourself.
    A friend has recently spent £10k on a Colnago with the LBS doing the build. It’s his dream bike but not mine.
    I think my dream bike would be cheaper than my road bike. A vintage steel retro/but modern STI’s and modern wheels. But I dream of living somewhere nice where I could ride it.
  • Longshot
    Even with a lottery win I can't imagine spending more then say £5K. The bike I've got (RRP £2,700) is more than I can push to its limits.

I think I'd buy a WyndyMilla. Probably a Massive Attack (although I love the Saw Doctor) with a custom paint scheme. They're local to me so there's a 'support your local business' benefit too.
  • Matthewfalle
    Longshot wrote:
    redvision wrote:

Food for thought.

this definitly

blandola

That's great and all but I'd like my dream bike to:

a) not fall apart straight away
    b) work

and neither are guaranteed to happen straight out of the box/built by your lbs.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    Can you use an allen key, screwdriver and a pair of wire cutters?

this exactly.

as dear departed Yossie once said, its a bicycle not a rocket ship.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • rokt
    rokt Posts: 493
    You really don't need to spend the earth......the markup on bikes is absolutely eye watering.

A mate has recently picked up a 2018 Giant TCR SL0 with eTap brand new for £3500. This bike came from a very well known retailer and the asking price 12 months ago was £8000.

Someone, somewhere is making a lot of money !
  • Surely you only physically build your own dream bike if your dream involves bike building as well as owning and riding a great bike.
  • Longshot

this exactly.

I tell you what, let me 'build' your next bike for you and see how you feel after you've come out of hospital :lol:
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    Longshot wrote:

this exactly.

I tell you what, let me 'build' your next bike for you and see how you feel after you've come out of hospital :lol:

Don't dismiss it until you've tried it. I thought like this, that it would be way beyond me, but I built my custom steel frame/forks four years ago and it's not needed anything major doing to it since (the caveat being it's strictly good/dry weather only). I did my second one earlier this year (Planet X EC130 frame/forks) and that was with internal cabling. It works and has not fallen apart. Both are rim brakes though, not sure I'm ready to do my own hydraulic brake system just yet!

As for dream bike - I'd probably go custom steel again, but obviously the best grade (probably Stainless Steel then) from one of these bearded Shoreditch types. Sram Etap, deep section carbon bling, hydro discs.
    And then a dedicated TT bike for triathlon - electronic shifting of course, hydro brakes again, deeper section wheels obvs.
    And then a vintage but perfect condition Colnago Master for Eroica events.

This is turning into a 'dream garage' isn't it. Well why not if we're dreaming!