Things you have recently learnt

Comments

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,702

I get offended by those signs that say "Even your dog can scare or kill livestock ".

Even? Of course he could.

We have a farmer near here who has put, "shaeep can miscarriage too" signs everywhere.

Along with, "danger, lambs" signs.

I bet he's a barrel of laughs.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,929
    I've recently learned that Rick is the young Victor Meldrew.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,970
    edited December 2021
    Ngl I can’t stand life in the countryside.

It’s for cycling through and hoping you don’t puncture while you’re there.

Cities ftw
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,921

orraloon said:

Believing your dog doesn't like tasty meat on the bone is not really an acceptable excuse. These are things many farmers have to put up with.

Nah they don't. Shoot the dog. No worries.
    Still a hassle and I suspect lifestock deaths by dogs far exceed the number of dogs shot.
    I sing with someone who runs the family farm. They lose several pregnant ewes each year not necessarily because they get mauled but because of loose dogs distressing them. All those dogs that are left to run off the lead and jump all over people or other dogs that are "just being friendly" could result in dead livestock even if they never open their jaws.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 18,132

Cities ftw

Better than cycling through greenhouses and polytunnels? Because that's one reason Dutch agriculture is so efficient.

Me, I hate cities.
  • rick_chasey
    https://www.economist.com/graphic-detail/2021/12/04/how-regions-near-stalins-gulag-benefit-today-from-his-victims

This is really interesting.

Cities that came out of gulags which had higher proportions of political prisoners in Stalinist Russia have significantly better economic development even today.
  • rick_chasey

Cities ftw

Better than cycling through greenhouses and polytunnels? Because that's one reason Dutch agriculture is so efficient.

Me, I hate cities.
    It’s the future.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,738
    Pross said:

orraloon said:

Believing your dog doesn't like tasty meat on the bone is not really an acceptable excuse. These are things many farmers have to put up with.

Nah they don't. Shoot the dog. No worries.
    Still a hassle and I suspect lifestock deaths by dogs far exceed the number of dogs shot.
    I sing with someone who runs the family farm. They lose several pregnant ewes each year not necessarily because they get mauled but because of loose dogs distressing them. All those dogs that are left to run off the lead and jump all over people or other dogs that are "just being friendly" could result in dead livestock even if they never open their jaws.
    Despite being strictly liable it seems that most dog owners don't tend to offer to pay for the sheep that their dogs have killed, so I imagine there is no hope for death by distress cases.
  • TheBigBean

Cities ftw

You don't need to like the countryside, but hating the occupants of it seems a bit much.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 18,132

Cities ftw

Me, I hate cities.
    It’s the future.

Having pretty places that you can cycle through that also produce food (which funds keeping them pretty and accessible) doesn't seem like such a terrible idea. Polytunnels would get boring after a while.
  • Pross

Cities ftw

You don't need to like the countryside, but hating the occupants of it seems a bit much.
    Yeah but it is mainly boomers that live in the countryside.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,488

I get offended by those signs that say "Even your dog can scare or kill livestock ".

We have a farmer near here who has put, "shaeep can miscarriage too" signs everywhere.

Surely you can understand his resentment?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • First.Aspect
    pinno said:

Surely you can understand his resentment?
    Not really. It is a route almost entirely used by walkers, horse riders and cyclists. The next road to the south is about 10 miles I think. In the grand scheme of things I don't see an issue and, if he wanted he could put fences up along the road. Since you don't routinely see home made signs every 50 yards elsewhere, it seems to me that he is a bit of a nutter.
  • masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,584
    All sheep farming should stop, freeing up the complete waste of land for something better--rewilding. Britain is in the lowest 10% in the world for biodiversity, so (as we're in a climate emergency) it's maybe time we did something radical.
    Don't believe Countryfile, sheep are a biodiversity / climate disaster.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,204
    edited February 2022
    AI robotica won't require food, just sayin.

• pblakeney
    edited December 2021
    masjer said:

All sheep farming should stop, freeing up the complete waste of land for something better--rewilding. Britain is in the lowest 10% in the world for biodiversity, so (as we're in a climate emergency) it's maybe time we did something radical.

You do realise the most likely alternative will be housing and not rewilding?
    Somewhat ironic given people were replaced by sheep.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,837
    pblakeney said:

masjer said:

Given where sheep farming typically takes place, I think that's unlikely.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • masjer
    pblakeney said:

masjer said:

Only 5-6% of the entire UK has been built on. If some of the sheep fields were used for housing, it would be a tiny percentage of that land. i.e still millions of hectares left for rewilding. A majority of sheep farming is in highland areas- perfect for rewilding, cr@p for housing.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,962
    Americans don't really eat lamb.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Pross

Much more expensive as it doesn't suit their factory farming methods
  • TheBigBean

It's not the world wide animal that chicken is. Chicken and Coke are available pretty much the world over.
  • I never really like the thought of food grown by hydroponics, but realise a lot of it grown in controlled environment, green houses, are. I remember seeing this being done as a kid at EPCOT twenty odd years ago.
  • pblakeney
    masjer said:

pblakeney said:

masjer said:

Only 5-6% of the entire UK has been built on. If some of the sheep fields were used for housing, it would be a tiny percentage of that land. i.e still millions of hectares left for rewilding. A majority of sheep farming is in highland areas- perfect for rewilding, cr@p for housing.
    Try Googling Highland clearances.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • First.Aspect
    pblakeney said:

masjer said:

pblakeney said:

masjer said:

Pretty sure that's not what is stopping Cala from building houses in upland grazing areas now. More like a lack of roads, electricity, treated water, that sort of thing.
  • masjer
    pblakeney said:

masjer said:

pblakeney said:

masjer said:

I think you are confusing the term highland areas (uplands) as the Scottish Highlands. Anyway, parts of the Scottish Highlands are being rewilded. I don't think anyone will move back there to return to crofting.
  • pinno
    Rewilding and replacing habitat is one thing. Reducing pesticide/nitrate use is another.
  • Americans don't really eat lamb.

I think that is because their mint sauce tastes like toothpaste
  • masjer
    I bet it comes in a tube too.
  • pinno
    masjer said:

I bet it comes in a tube too.

Oh you get cheese in tubes in Sweden. Some stuff called 'Kaviar', It's vile.
  • masjer

Mmm, I got a taste for the stuff.