La Vuelta 2019, Stage 9: Andorra la Vella > Cortals d'Encamp 01/09/2019 - 94,4 km *Spoilers*

13»

Comments

• Some footage showing what it was like on the gravel section, during the worst of the weather.

https://twitter.com/javierchipi/status/ ... 9533487107
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,100
    Some footage showing what it was like on the gravel section, during the worst of the weather.

https://twitter.com/javierchipi/status/ ... 9533487107
    Wow. Sketchy.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • i love a bit of this on these stages.
  • Things I'm really enjoying learning - repeatedly - during this Vuelta:

1. If you can see the rain that means it's raining REALLY heavily.
    2. Pogacar bobs up and down in the style of Dan Martin - or even Dan Martin-stylee.
    3. The three-wheeled scooters make a terrible squeal when they break for corners, which must be unnerving for the riders.
    4. Just like when they get too close.
    5. Bidons can get dirty in wet conditions, so be careful when you take a... 'toot'.

2. Pogacar bobs up and down in the style of Dan Martin - or even Dan Martin-stylee.
    3. The three-wheeled scooters make a terrible squeal when they break for corners, which must be unnerving for the riders.
    5. Bidons can get dirty in wet conditions, so be careful when you take a... 'toot'.

Actually thought CK did a decent job during the loss of pictures, but yeah....

Love how he unleashes his faux-rage whenever there's a motorbike in shot. And his laughable calling-out of a camera bike that was passing a group when they suddenly switched sides of the road, marooning it. Thought the motorbike rider did a good job in the circumstances

Actually thought CK did a decent job during the loss of pictures, but yeah....

Love how he unleashes his faux-rage whenever there's a motorbike in shot. And his laughable calling-out of a camera bike that was passing a group when they suddenly switched sides of the road, marooning it. Thought the motorbike rider did a good job in the circumstances

The loss of pictures is what it took for him to actually describe what was going on in the race. Cos otherwise, he just says what he sees on the screen, however irrelevant or meaningless.

I turned on halfway through the stage and must've watched for 30 mins before he made any attempt to inform as to what was actually going on, tactically. Who was in what group, who's gaining time in virtual GC, etc, etc. I had to look it up on a live blog just to find out what the hell was going on. While he's jabbering away like Alan Partridge on nitrous oxide.
  • While he's jabbering away like Alan Partridge on nitrous oxide.

That's a perfect description
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,041
    A spoilers thread without any real spoilers in it.
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • If it's facts you want, go to procyclingstats
  • Some more footage of the gravel, that shows a bit of the Roglic chute.

https://twitter.com/Packdeltoro/status/ ... 4127720448
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • I think I’m one of the few people who genuinely enjoy CK. Reminds me of watching F1 in the Murrey Walker years :mrgreen:
  • d_o_g
    d_o_g Posts: 286
    I think I’m one of the few people who genuinely enjoy CK. Reminds me of watching F1 in the Murrey Walker years :mrgreen:

There must be one other - high up in Eurosport 'talent' management.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,005
    I think I’m one of the few people who genuinely enjoy CK. Reminds me of watching F1 in the Murrey Walker years :mrgreen:

Sounds more like 'It's a Knockout' commentary to me
    (and no, I'm not insinuating anything else)
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,538
    Movistar = 1990s Dutch national football team
  • hypster
    hypster Posts: 1,229
    Just watched the ITV4 highlights program. Boulting and Millar's interpretation of what Movistar are up to is just pathetic and invariably wrong. I've heard Carlton Kirby several times and he is infinitely preferable to these two clowns. If I had Eurosport I wouldn't bother with ITV4 and think I will probably subscribe to the player next season.
  • Each to their own I suppose. I find Boulting easily the worst of the current crop. I actually prefer CKs lack of any real insight delivered in a reasonably entertaining way to Boulting's mind numbing amateur analysis of the bleeding obvious.

Neither add anything to our understanding of what is going on but at least CK sounds professional and cracks a few jokes.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Interesting (in a bad way) to see Piti acting as a springboard for Roglic in his pursuit of Quintana. Hopefully Nairo takes the final red jersey and keeps Valverde off the top step.

DD.
  • Some more footage of the gravel, that shows a bit of the Roglic chute.

https://twitter.com/Packdeltoro/status/ ... 4127720448

Please tell me I wasn't the only one to actually reach out and touch the screen in an effort to clear the water off the lens? :lol:
  • hypster wrote:
    Just watched the ITV4 highlights program. Boulting and Millar's interpretation of what Movistar are up to is just pathetic and invariably wrong. I've heard Carlton Kirby several times and he is infinitely preferable to these two clowns. If I had Eurosport I wouldn't bother with ITV4 and think I will probably subscribe to the player next season.

Are you... Carlton Kirby?
  • 6wheels
    6wheels Posts: 411
    hypster wrote:

Paid thirty quid for the year with far too much cycling on. If you can't watch it live, they have a very good on demand section.

Always liked CK and when paired with SK makes for very interesting/informative viewing.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,538
    Each to their own I suppose. I find Boulting easily the worst of the current crop. I actually prefer CKs lack of any real insight delivered in a reasonably entertaining way to Boulting's mind numbing amateur analysis of the bleeding obvious.

Neither add anything to our understanding of what is going on but at least CK sounds professional and cracks a few jokes.

I agree that Boulting isn't great in the commentary seat although I like him in other roles. Unfortunately this doesn't make CK any less bad. I'd have to take issue on CK sounding professional though, he sounds like he has never done any research and making up your own narrative to what the riders are saying to each other isn't really professional commentary.
  • hypster
    hypster Posts: 1,229
    6wheels wrote:
    hypster wrote:

Paid thirty quid for the year with far too much cycling on. If you can't watch it live, they have a very good on demand section.

Always liked CK and when paired with SK makes for very interesting/informative viewing.

I will definitely give the Eurosport player a go next season as I can watch all the one day classics as well which are not televised on terrestrial TV.

Sean Kelly gives much better insight as an ex-pro than David Millar as well in my opinion. SK is very down-to-earth and practical whereas DM is trying to read too much sensationalism into almost every occurence to make any situation more exciting than it very often is. I find that very tiresome especially when you can see what is actually unfolding without his often erroneous spin on things.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Carlton Kirby is a clown. Anyone who thinks he provides informative commentary presumably couldn't tell their arse from their elbow.

This has nothing to do with Boultings commentary. I like the guy, but agree he's better in other roles than commentating. At least he doesn't actively make stuff up and get hysterical whenever there is a moto on screen though.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Also re: the ES subscription: the very best thing about it is you can watch the host live feed through the app with no adverts and no commentary. Game changing.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,153
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Also re: the ES subscription: the very best thing about it is you can watch the host live feed through the app with no adverts and no commentary. Game changing.
    And you can have your own try at commentating
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • So I've just watched 10 minutes of ITV4's highlights of yesterday's stage for the first time this Vuelta - and it confirms that anyone who thinks Kirby and Kelly are in any sense whatsoever better than Boulting and Millar must be certifiable and widely avoided.

I've spent the last two weeks listening to Kirby's incessant stream of inane drivel punctuated by Kelly (and yes I know he's some kind of cycling god who cannot be criticised for fear of the eternal flames of hell) stating the bleeding obvious and saying things like 'yes, the riders in break will be really hurting right now' over and over again.

And all of a sudden I'm listening to someone actually prepared to describe and analyse (usually correctly) what's going on like an adult rather than a buffoon, and someone else who actually knows half the riders in the peloton and can immediately spot loads of subtleties and subtexts.

It's like reading The Times after two weeks of reading the f*cking Sun.