La Vuelta 2019, Stage 9: Andorra la Vella > Cortals d'Encamp 01/09/2019 - 94,4 km *Spoilers*

Comments

• richard_t._biscuit
    richard_t._biscuit Posts: 246
    edited September 2019
    Soler furious at having to wait up for Quintana and maybe Valverde. Classic Movistar team unity in action.
  • Interesting tactics from Movistar. Quintana ordered to pace Soler back to Valverde.
  • Roglic bridges over to Valverde, because of course that's how Movistar roll.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,687
    Hmmm. Superman?
  • About 20 seconds between each of Pogacar, Quintana, Valverde/Rog, Lopez in that order I reckon.
  • Shame about losing the pictures because that was a pretty darn good stage

Rule No.10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,100
    Still sticking at about 20 to Lopez. Not sure they'll be all that unhappy about him being out there having put a big effort in on the first part of the finish.
    Don't tell anyone, but I was on the point of taking the mick out of this post when the gap went out to 40 plus seconds. Thankfully, the rain came, distracted me and no one will ever know.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • DeadCalm
    López reportedly crashed at some point on the gravel section while the live tv coverage was down. That would explain his struggles on the final climb.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • DeadCalm wrote:
    López reportedly crashed at some point on the gravel section while the live tv coverage was down. That would explain his struggles on the final climb.

Yeah thought he looked messed up when the pictures came back on. His white jersey was not so white and his glasses were broken,
  • I said it earlier in the week: Slovenians are the new Colombians, only better.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • DeadCalm
    I said it earlier in the week: Slovenians are the new Colombians, only better.
    Hehe.
    Not sure that analogy is right though. Colombians have been climbing brilliantly for years without taking many GC wins. In terms of a nation coming from nowhere and then having remarkable results, surely Slovenia is the new Britain?
    Team My Man 2022:

• Missed in the deluge and unsurprisingly by Kirby, but Lopez may well have crashed on the gravel, late on.
    Possibly how the gap got closed and then he got dropped, but I am just guessing.
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,233
    DeadCalm wrote:
    Hehe.
    Not sure that analogy is right though. Colombians have been climbing brilliantly for years without taking many GC wins. In terms of a nation coming from nowhere and then having remarkable results, surely Slovenia is the new Britain?
    What are you talking about!? There’s a very strong heritage of results in time trialing with the likes of Ian Cammish - and some very good road riders in the likes of Paul Curran, Chris Lillywhite and Darryl Webster. Also, the cross guys like Ian Thingy and Keith Whatnot were in top 20 for many of the races they managed to complete. They laid the way to ignore for many of the new up and coming riders. I would be very surprised if Tommy Pidcock didn’t have a poster on his childhood bedroom wall of Graham Jones and Joey McLoughlin coming nowhere in the Tour in 1803.
    But ask me to name a Slovenian before Juraj Sagan or his brother and I can’t!
  • arnuf
    arnuf Posts: 98
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    DeadCalm wrote:

True, but they've only been competing since the split of Czechoslovenia.
  • DeadCalm
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    DeadCalm wrote:
    Hehe.
    What are you talking about!? There’s a very strong heritage of results in time trialing with the likes of Ian Cammish - and some very good road riders in the likes of Paul Curran, Chris Lillywhite and Darryl Webster. Also, the cross guys like Ian Thingy and Keith Whatnot were in top 20 for many of the races they managed to complete. They laid the way to ignore for many of the new up and coming riders. I would be very surprised if Tommy Pidcock didn’t have a poster on his childhood bedroom wall of Graham Jones and Joey McLoughlin coming nowhere in the Tour in 1803.
    :lol::D:lol: I bow down to your superior knowledge.
    Team My Man 2022:

• DeadCalm
    DeadCalm wrote:

Yeah thought he looked messed up when the pictures came back on. His white jersey was not so white and his glasses were broken,
    Cyclingnews reporting that Roglic crashed as well which may explain how Quintana and Valverde distanced him.
    Team My Man 2022:

• DeadCalm
    Carl Fredrik Hagen. Sixth overall. Who is he? Where did he come from?
    Team My Man 2022:

• DeadCalm wrote:
    Hehe.
    . Slovenia has a population about 2/3rds that of Wales so that doesn't work. I was there when the Giro did two stages there. The next day there was a junior road race with about 150 kids. Then the next day an under 23 with Croatian s and Italians. The tours of Slovenia and Croatia are both very strong
  • OCDuPalais wrote:
    DeadCalm wrote:
    Hehe.

I know you are a clever guy but don't know if you are joking. Sagan is Slovakian :D
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,470
    DeadCalm wrote:
    Hehe.
    . Slovenia has a population about 2/3rds that of Wales so that doesn't work. I was there when the Giro did two stages there. The next day there was a junior road race with about 150 kids. Then the next day an under 23 with Croatian s and Italians. The tours of Slovenia and Croatia are both very strong

On a cycling trip to Italy a couple of years ago, i came across 2 separate groups of Australians. Both had been to Slovenia earlier in their trips. Its a long way to travel to go to somewhere I'd never heard of anyone going to before.

Oh yeah... there's that big ongoing PED investigation with links to Slovenia to
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • now thats a brutal stage, shame we couldnt see the juicy bit :)
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,154
    gsk82 wrote:
    On a cycling trip to Italy a couple of years ago, i came across 2 separate groups of Australians. Both had been to Slovenia earlier in their trips. Its a long way to travel to go to somewhere I'd never heard of anyone going to before.
    I played in the Hockey European Cup Winner's Cup (Division C) in Slovenia back in 1999
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • So, red jersey changes hands again. And presumably will once more after the TT on Tuesday.

And I still want to be a fly on the wall by the Movistar dinner table.
  • EDZC-1PXUAAP4JR?format=jpg&name=900x900

Roglic also crashed on the gravel section, but was unhurt. Explains how he lost contact, then got back and caught Valverde.
    Ominous.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    So, red jersey changes hands again. And presumably will once more after the TT on Tuesday.

And I still want to be a fly on the wall by the Movistar dinner table.

I want Roglic to win something big, I think he's a clever and brave rider. But I would bloody LOVE it for Quintana to win this as big F U to Valverde and Movistar.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,860
    Tough stuff
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Is tomorrow a rest day right?

Missed the PTP for this one I think, got all my timings mixed up.
  • Anyone know what the “mechanical” was that started Chaves’ series of bike changes?

Reporters should probe for a specific reason rather than settle for “mechanical”. Kind of amazing how many rides are lost to bike parts not working properly.

Roglic crashed because of a stopped motorbike according to Addy Engles as reported by Andrew Hood.
  • bobmcstuff wrote:

Rest day Monday. Time trial in Pau on Tuesday

Rule No.10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,470
    bobmcstuff wrote:

Rest day Monday. Time trial in Pau on Tuesday

Is it July again already?
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago