Carbon Climate - activist

Comments

• slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Well a quick track of Malizia2 on an AIS tracker shows that the vessel is now in Gravesend Bay / New York - so she's arrived - there or there abouts - looks to be a holding area before the vessel passes through - as it's not quite 7am there seems sensible...
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,560
    Slowbike wrote:
    Well a quick track of Malizia2 on an AIS tracker shows that the vessel is now in Gravesend Bay / New York - so she's arrived - there or there abouts - looks to be a holding area before the vessel passes through - as it's not quite 7am there seems sensible...
    I suppose now is not the time to tell her about videoconferencing technology?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:
    Technology is Evil and is not a solution to anything.

We must abandon our dependence on technology and embrace the simple life.

Except our iphones of course.
  • Stevo_666
    bompington wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:

Thank God I don't have an iPhone. I can get back to ploughing the field with my oxen now.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    It's *almost like* it's a stunt to get people discussing the issue.

I mean, it's *definitely not like* a thread was started on here regarding carbon emissions and climate change as a result of her boat trip, oh no no.
  • Stevo_666

I mean, it's *definitely not like* a thread was started on here regarding carbon emissions and climate change as a result of her boat trip, oh no no.
    I was just suggesting that there are other ways to do it. The news that she is going to educate the Yanks is news enough - surely even better if she does it without going anywhere at all?
  • rick_chasey
    Stevo 666 wrote:

I was just suggesting that there are other ways to do it. The news that she is going to educate the Yanks is news enough - surely even better if she does it without going anywhere at all?

We both know that's not true. Dialing up a VC is not going to get the news reporting on your every move.
  • slowbike
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    bompington wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:

Thank God I don't have an iPhone. I can get back to ploughing the field with my oxen now.

Absoutely - you don't want to be ploughing your field with an iPhone ... whatever next!
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo 666 wrote:

We both know that's not true. Dialing up a VC is not going to get the news reporting on your every move.
    Most things she does will be newsworthy.

However depends what you mean by better - pretty sure there will be less CO2 emitted by the video conference option than by sailing across the Atlantic option.
  • slowbike
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

However depends what you mean by better - pretty sure there will be less CO2 emitted by the video conference option than by sailing across the Atlantic option.

Depends how far you want to take it? The CO2 emitted by the boats laying the fibre cables used to carry the data? or - the rockets to get the satellites up in orbit ..

It was definitely a stunt - to re-enforce her lifestyle choice of not using air travel (due to carbon emissions) - which you could quite easily argue are a) offset anyway and b) a scheduled flight would be going anyway and there's usually spare seats, so the additional carbon footprint would be minimal for her trip. You could also argue that she could've made her point by getting on a commercial sea going service - there are still plenty of boats that carry (a few) passengers that ply the North Atlantic trade routes - although they would (I assume) emit more carbon than the aircraft ... but again, would be going whether she's booked on or not...

Whilst it's "nice" to go by sail, it's not a practical solution for the majority - timescales are just too huge and there's reasonable danger in sailing the oceans.
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    She can have my share of the per head carbon emissions and I won't fly somewhere on holiday next year.
  • I have 4 winter sun holidays over the next 9 months and all will be flights.

I have gone with the 'if you enjoy doing something (winter sun holidays, not so much airports) do more of it' approach. For this reason I feel no guilt about boosting tourism in foreign countries.

It is satisfying to know that "St Greta" will disapprove of this :lol:
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,270
    I have 4 winter sun holidays over the next 9 months and all will be flights.

I have gone with the 'if you enjoy doing something (winter sun holidays, not so much airports) do more of it' approach. For this reason I feel no guilt about boosting tourism in foreign countries.

At least you are thinking about her. I doubt it's reciprocated.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,589
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Whoa! Single handedly stopping climate change may be in her capabilities but educating Yanks is overly ambitious.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,366
    Pross wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Whoa! Single handedly stopping climate change may be in her capabilities but educating Yanks is overly ambitious.

The sentient ('Woolly liberals') will be on her side. The rednecks will dismiss her as a bit of a crank (if they pay any heed to her at all).
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Stevo_666
    Slowbike wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Depends how far you want to take it? The CO2 emitted by the boats laying the fibre cables used to carry the data? or - the rockets to get the satellites up in orbit ..

It was definitely a stunt - to re-enforce her lifestyle choice of not using air travel (due to carbon emissions) - which you could quite easily argue are a) offset anyway and b) a scheduled flight would be going anyway and there's usually spare seats, so the additional carbon footprint would be minimal for her trip. You could also argue that she could've made her point by getting on a commercial sea going service - there are still plenty of boats that carry (a few) passengers that ply the North Atlantic trade routes - although they would (I assume) emit more carbon than the aircraft ... but again, would be going whether she's booked on or not...

Whilst it's "nice" to go by sail, it's not a practical solution for the majority - timescales are just too huge and there's reasonable danger in sailing the oceans.
    True, now let's see how she gets on in the US and Chile.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,699

I'm more intrigued by his shaky grasp of the calendar.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rick_chasey
    rjsterry wrote:

I'm more intrigued by his shaky grasp of the calendar.

Winters are long in Russia.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015

To paraphrase, Coopsters message; "If you enjoy doing something then you don't need to feel guilty about it. Just do more of it". I'm sure the Ku Klux Klan, EDL and many dubious other organisations will be happy to take his advice.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    I have had 4 holidays so far this year and have more planned for October, November, January, March and May.
    I now feel so guilty that I am going to retire to the study with a whisky and a revolver.
    So long.
  • ballysmate
    As the great Stan Laurel said in IIRC "Bonnie Scotland"

"I missed"
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Are we comparing holidays now?

Let me know.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • ballysmate
    Ben6899 wrote:

Let me know.

Not at all.
    Only guilt.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:

Let me know.

Not at all.
    Only guilt.

Ha! I try to go everywhere by train. Mainly because of airport rigmarole!
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770

She has made me want to choose a 5ltr Mustang as my next car and to fly with any airlines still using B707s with 4x dirty Pratt & Witney Turbojets.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Mr Goo wrote:

She has made me want to choose a 5ltr Mustang as my next car and to fly with any airlines still using B707s with 4x dirty Pratt & Witney Turbojets.

If nothing else she is clearly good at getting people to self reveal their idiocy. :wink:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,366
    Rolf F wrote:

To paraphrase, Coopsters message; "If you enjoy doing something then you don't need to feel guilty about it. Just do more of it". I'm sure the Ku Klux Klan, EDL and many dubious other organisations will be happy to take his advice.

There are a people who love setting alight tot he Amazon rain forest.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • coopster_the_1st
    coopster_the_1st Posts: 5,158
    edited August 2019
    Mr Goo wrote:

"St Greta" is being exploited by extremists. More and more normal people can see this exploitatiom and extremism for what it is.

All this constant drivel by the green extremists is going to turn more normal people against their cause. You can see that happening already with the lies they are pushing over the Amazon rain forest fires.
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    Judging by the fact it's basically only you and one or two others who have an issue with it I would be questioning who is the extremist. Deliberately choosing things which will contribute to the deaths of millions of poor people is a hilarious joke though so well done.
  • coopster_the_1st
    coopster_the_1st Posts: 5,158
    edited August 2019
    HaydenM wrote:
    Deliberately choosing things which will contribute to the deaths of millions of poor people is a hilarious joke though so well done.

You should try it. It might make you less of a miserable tw@t and put some perspective on your unhappy life!