TDF 2019, Stage 21: Rambouillet > Paris Champs-Élysées 28/07/2019 - 128 km *Spoilers*

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    The sheer speed of Ewan and Groenewegen compared to the others.
  • ShutupJens
    ShutupJens Posts: 1,373
    Greipel gets a top 10
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
    Now Bernal has a million quid minder.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    You could see Ewan keeping his weight on the back wheel.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Groenewegen and Ewan a clear class above the others there.

Paris looked lovely.

My flight is 45 mins delayed which gave me just enough time to watch the sprint!
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    Cummings sounds like retiring is on his mind from that ITV interview
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,200
    Did I miss the team classification presentation? Damn!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,032

Didn't see it yet.

Bardet for the Giro next year maybe.
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741

They couldn't do it.
    Half the team were at the podium, but the other half had gone up the road.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,439
    davidof wrote:

Didn't see it yet.

Bardet for the Giro next year maybe.

He needs to seriously target some 1 week races when the big boys aren't fully on it. He needs to learn how to win.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,032
    Well that beats the British national anthem anyway
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • slim_boy_fat
    slim_boy_fat Posts: 1,810
    22 years old, just won the tour and without batting an eyelid thanks various people in four different languages. Chapeau Egan!
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    davidof wrote:
    Dead right !
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Poor lad. People keep asking him to hold stuff when he's already got his hands full.
  • No_Ta_Doctor

They couldn't do it.
    Half the team were at the podium, but the other half had gone up the road.

:lol:
  • knedlicky wrote:
    davidof wrote:
    Dead right !
    Low bar :)
  • hypster
    hypster Posts: 1,229
    Acceptance speech in English, Italian, Spanish and French is just showing off now.

He'll be hosting the Eurovision Song Contest next!
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    team presentation was just after the GC podium presentation, was shown a bit on Le Tours live instagram feed.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,439
    hypster wrote:
    Acceptance speech in English, Italian, Spanish and French is just showing off now.

He'll be hosting the Eurovision Song Contest next!

There'll be a tweet from him with his real voice soon... and he'll be a manc.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,583
    Matt Rendell has enormous ears. BFG like.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    **** me, I've just started updating the Lanterne thread and seen that Aru is listed amongst the finishers of today's stage. When did he join this year's tour, and since when were subs allowed?
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Great stage. Really interesting commentary from someone on the importance of EB win in Colombia. Likened it to USA putting a man on the moon, such is the significance of someone from a small village winning the TdF.

Loved the route past the Louvre (was that the skeleton of Notre Dame they went past?).

Not a fan of Millars voice but insight is interesting.

Evening light down the Champs looked epic.

All over till next year. Massive thank you from me to all the posts on these threads and especially to the thread starter.
    Didn't get to watch much live but following it here is better than most live tickers. Hoping for similar levels of commitment for the Vuelta, too!

Tomorrow will feel like an anticlimax, that's for sure.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,646
    Not a race to get forgotten that one.

Thanks to bs for threads.
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    Just seen social media pics of one of my old club mates dishing out the post race Ineos beers. Never used to get them in for me when I took him out drinking!
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    Massive thank you from me to all the posts on these threads and especially to the thread starter.
    Seconded - thanks everyone. I'd stupidly forgotten to check the calendar when agreeing holidays (I'd like to claim it's my vast experience telling me the third week is always crap, but...) so this has largely been my way of keeping in touch with all the things we love and not just the final result of each stage.

Don't flatter yourselves too much mind. It's still better on telly.!
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    So who wants to be hear a song about Egan Bernal: https://youtu.be/22bNzpHTEcI
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    Just curious, I thought they normally neutralised the GC race on arriving in Paris, or maybe with 1 or two laps to go so that they get the GC winning team to finish in formation - did that not happen on Sunday, looked like they were very carefully making sure Bernal got the finish in the main group?
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,243
    larkim wrote:
    Just curious, I thought they normally neutralised the GC race on arriving in Paris, or maybe with 1 or two laps to go so that they get the GC winning team to finish in formation - did that not happen on Sunday, looked like they were very carefully making sure Bernal got the finish in the main group?

Only when it's wet.
  • hypster
    hypster Posts: 1,229
    I always get a bit nervous about the last stage in Paris for all sorts of riders and if it's just a celebratory procession why don't they just neutralise the GC race? There were a couple of late mechanicals in the stage yesterday and imagine if that happened to Bernal or Thomas in the last part of the last lap with no chance of getting back on?

What would be the outcome there if one or both of them finished a minute down?
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,719
    hypster wrote:
    I always get a bit nervous about the last stage in Paris for all sorts of riders and if it's just a celebratory procession why don't they just neutralise the GC race? There were a couple of late mechanicals in the stage yesterday and imagine if that happened to Bernal or Thomas in the last part of the last lap with no chance of getting back on?

What would be the outcome there if one or both of them finished a minute down?

I know what you mean, sooner or later someone will lose the tour because of a touch of wheels in Paris.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]