TDF 2019, Stage 16: Nîmes > Nîmes 23/07/2019 - 177 km *Spoilers*

blazing_saddles
blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
edited July 2019 in Pro race
TDF 2019, Stage 16: Nîmes > Nîmes 23/07/2019 - 177 km

The 16th stage of the Tour de France is played out after the second rest day. The flat race of 177 kilometres is an out-and-back leg in Nîmes. The iconic viaduct Pont du Gard features in the finale.

stage-16-route.jpg

c846c

In 2008, Nîmes discovered the spectacular sprinting qualities of Mark Cavendish and became the fourth of the 26 French towns where the British rider captured victory.

tdf08st13-cavendish-win-920.jpg

Another sprinter would win there six years later just by the famous arena: Alexander Kristoff claimed his second stage success after an exciting stage. Jack Bauer and Martin Elmiger attacked at kilometre 5 and rode 220 kilometres ahead of the peloton. It was a no chance breakaway, yet Bauer came incredibly close as he was overhauled in the last 25 metres. that saw Jack Bauer caught by the pack with just 20 meters to go.

ca5d4

Favourites 16th stage 2019 Tour de France

Following the Pyrenees' torture and the well-deserved rest day, the sprinters are likely to come to the fore in a relatively easy race with start and finish in Nîmes. The route is far from flat, yet the only classified climb is the Côte de Saint-Jean-du-Pin. So the outcome is next to certain. Luckily, all sprinters are still in the mix.

*** Dylan Groenewegen, Elia Viviani, Caleb Ewan
** Peter Sagan, Alexander Kristoff, Sonny Colbrelli
* Michael Matthews, Jasper Stuyven, Cees Bol

Nîmes
17 previous stages

Population: 154,200

The 17 Tour de France stages to finish in Nimes suited sprinters, and it was the case once again in 2014, when the race last came to town. Norway’s Alexander Kristoff outsprinted the bunch, who had just reined in New Zealand’s Jack Bauer, gone from the flag. In 2008, Nimes sealed the impressive run of success of an up and coming young sprinter named Mark Cavendish, who won his 4th and last stage of the edition before giving up two days later as the peloton tackled the Alps.

One of the very first visits of the Tour to Nimes, during the Marseille-Toulouse stage in 1904, remained in history. Furious after the disqualification of local favourite Ferdinand Payan, Nimes fans had thrown stones at the race. But the most famous legend associated with Nimes was the misfortune of Abdel-Kader Zaf, who crashed as he had broken away with Marcel Molines, went back on his bike and started the wrong way. The tale goes that he had accepted a bottle full of wine handed by spectators. The reality is probably less glamorous and the products absorbed by the man who finished “lantern rouge” that year wrer probably less local.

zaaf_koblet_france_1951.jpg

Nimes was also frequently visited by the defunct Grand Prix du Midi Libre and by Etoile de Besseges, one of the very first races of the season. In 2017, the Arena of Nimes was the launch-pad of the Vuelta.

Arena
It is considered the best-preserved Roman amphitheatre in the world. Built in the first century, it was used in the Middle Ages as a fortified village.
The Arena of Nimes fully illustrate the degree of expertise reached by Roman engineers to conceive and build such complex buildings. It is indeed perfectly symmetrical. Of oval shape, it measures 133 metres in length and 101 in width with a track of 68 by 38 metres. It is also 21 metres in height, with two floors of 60 arcades and an attic. At the top, stones were equipped with masts supporting a huge velum protecting the crowds from the sun and rain. Originally, all the arcades or the first floor were open for a better flow of the public.
Today, the arena is the centrepiece of the Nimes ferias, with bullfights attriacting thousands of aficionados. In 2017, the venue hosted the Grand Depart of the Vuelta. Team BMC won the opening team time trial, ending the leader’s jersey to................................................... Rohan Dennis.

840f4

On the Route
From Cévennes to Camargue via Uzès and Pont du Gard, Nîmes and Costières, the Cèze Valley and Côtes du Rhône, vineyards, mountains and caves, forests, garrigue and plains, sea and coastline follow each other at the whim of 9 000 km of hikes. From the Rhone to the Mediterranean, the department takes you on a trip into history with nearly 500 listed monuments altogether. Strongly marked by Romanity, Gard also boasts a very rich medieval heritage linked to its strategic location, especially for trade on the right bank of the Rhone.
In Gard you will also find the almost untouched lands of Cevennes.

A land of freedom and asylum, it was a safe haven for Protestant martyrs, Resistants to Nazism, beatniks and hippies of the 1960s and 1970s. And it is also today a dynamic territory, ready to tackle the most demanding sporting challenges.

As a whole, the department protects and preserves more than 4,200 hectares of fragile natural areas like the marshes of Camargue while always keeping in mind the necessity to keep them accessible to all.

36f48

Specialties: four remarkable sites of taste, 9 AOC-AOP and 5 IGP: wines of Costières, Uzège, Cévennes and Côtes du Rhône (Laudun, Lirac, Chusclan, Tavel, Listel ...),

SFD_Costieres_de_Nimes_2_CR_Hajime_Nakano_LEFT_istock_RIGHT_2520x1420.jpg

pélardon,

D6NfDCcXoAA6kLf.jpg

olive and olive oil of Nîmes sweet onion from the Cevennes, strawberry from Nîmes, chicken and capon from the Cevennes, rice and bull from Camargue, black truffle from Uzès, chestnut and honey from the Cevennes. Crafts: Anduze pottery, basketry, stone quarries, gardianne boots.
"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Comments

• blazing_saddles
    I guess these must come next.....

DSC_0336.jpg

il_794xN.1744753853_dhjo.jpg
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,851
    And that route shape is a shoe in for some leaping salmon photoshopping...

Calling Above the Clouds!!!
    Half man, Half bike
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,150
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now."
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,002
    :lol:
    RichN95 wrote:
  • ShutupJens
    ShutupJens Posts: 1,373
    RichN95 wrote:

The forum that tour was a very special place indeed. I wasn't posting then but would use spoiler threads for updates while at work and would often end up laughing out loud
  • blazing_saddles
    ShutupJens wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

The forum that tour was a very special place indeed. I wasn't posting then but would use spoiler threads for updates while at work and would often end up laughing out loud

Obviously, it's too early to expect to be able move on.......

horse-camargue-flamingo-1313531-o.jpg

file.php?avatar=435085_1442488502.jpg RIP Frenchie, hope you are keeping in the.....

1800px_provence_and_the_camargue_by_barge.jpg?itok=yxf4JPqM
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Ridgerider wrote:
    And that route shape is a shoe in for some leaping salmon photoshopping...

Calling Above the Clouds!!!

You rang?

stage-16-route.jpg
    Correlation is not causation.
  • above_the_cows
    ShutupJens wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

Obviously, it's too early to expect to be able move on.......

My goodness there he is, the Lovely Horse, his fetlocks blowing in the wind.

And who could forget...

tdf_adt_zpsca83fd86.jpg
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    Fish!
  • above_the_cows
    You get these magnificent beasts in the Camargue as well..

taureaux-sauvages-camargue.jpg?itok=YS8QJ5iW

camargue-bull-animal-wild-livestock-horse-rider-running_nyqxcmit__F0000.png

Herding-the-bulls-in-the-Camargue.jpg
  • ridgerider
    Anyone else hungry?
    Half man, Half bike
  • ridgerider

This picture is to the Pro Race forum what the picture of the girl on the tennis court scratching her bum is to Bottom Bracket.

(xx pinno)
    Half man, Half bike
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    1757194.main_image.jpg?strip=all
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    Lumpy tomorrow then.
  • ridgerider
    Sagan was next to last on Sunday's stage so he must fancy his chances a bit here...
    Half man, Half bike
  • Alan Ha Ha
    Alan Ha Ha Posts: 88

file.php?avatar=435085_1442488502.jpg RIP Frenchie, hope you are keeping in the.....

Hopefully you mean RIP forum Frenchie and not in real life.

Miss his love of Bertie and his amazing photos.

Has the New York Times guy posted his weekly photo stories?
  • ShutupJens
    Ridgerider wrote:
    Sagan was next to last on Sunday's stage so he must fancy his chances a bit here...

He was dicking about doing wheelies and signing his book for a fan - must be really annoying to ride in the autobus with if you're struggling
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,309
    Take a star off for Viviani I reckon. His leadout have been putting in an extra shift the past couple of stages.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,099
    Take a star off for Viviani I reckon. His leadout have been putting in an extra shift the past couple of stages.
    As was Viviani himself.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • above_the_cows
    Any chance of wind today?

If so someone else will have to man the KLAXON as I am en route to the Hautes-Alpes.
  • blazing_saddles
    Any chance of wind today?

If so someone else will have to man the KLAXON as I am en route to the Hautes-Alpes.

Mmmm kinda, but maybe not quite enough. Gusts of 25kph from the SW.
    Race kicks off with 37C, hits 38C fairly quickly and 36C forecast at the finish.
    "Feels like" given as 42C.
    A bit sweaty.
  • ridgerider
    Not sure how well I am feeling after the rest day...i seem to be looking forward to a flat sprint stage!
    Half man, Half bike
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    Ridgerider wrote:
    Not sure how well I am feeling after the rest day...i seem to be looking forward to a flat sprint stage!

youll have the opportunity to ease yourself back into it :)
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Echelons are highly likely, as I'll be on a plane.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,099
    Counterbalanced by the fact that I have finished work for the day.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    DeadCalm wrote:
    Counterbalanced by the fact that I have finished work for the day.
    This could actually cause a split in the peloton.
  • ShutupJens
    I'm really looking forward to this. Don't envy those riders in that head though, although I guess they generally speaking live in warmer climes than North Yorkshire so will be a touch more used to it
  • ShutupJens
    Just spent 40 minutes watching the "highlights" package of from yesterday, repeated on ITV4, getting dead confused as to why they're talking about tomorrows sprint stage. Didn't clock that it was the highlights until Gary Imlach just did his outro
  • bm5
    bm5 Posts: 530
    Disappointed that Kennaugh is back on ITV4
    Would have been good to get someone not from the DB factory. Even better if it had been a non Brit for some perspective.
  • ShutupJens
    Ned and Millar talking up wind between 54 and 28km to go as we roll out. Cross tailwind coming from the south west, everyone will have eyes on that section you'd expect