TDF 2019: Stage 6, Mulhouse > La Planche des Belles Filles 11/07/2019 - 160,5 km *Spoilers*

Comments

• ContrelaMontre
    ContrelaMontre Posts: 3,027
    DeadCalm wrote:
    That was as good as that stage could possibly have been given how early in the race it was. Cracking rides by Thomas, Pinot and Alaphilippe, as well as Teuns and Ciccone obviously. Thomas is obviously a contender but, just as it was daft to say that he was done when he lost 5 seconds the other day, it would surely be foolish to rule out Bernal now.

Leaving a 1 second gap the other day in a bunch kick is slightly different to actually being gapped by a few seconds on a proper MTF.

But I agree, if I think Quintana is suited to the final week then so is Bernal. The final week this year is very hard and very high.

Rule No.10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    20190711-636984667998697237_20190711183552331-kMdC-U463418201317njF-980x554@MundoDeportivo-Web.jpg

D_NxvXcXYAIRNYc.jpg
  • philwint
    philwint Posts: 763
    hypster wrote:
    Brilliant from Teuns, Alaphilippe and Thomas.

This!

Alaphilippe is fast turning into my favorite. What a fighter!
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,701
    DeadCalm wrote:
    That was as good as that stage could possibly have been given how early in the race it was. Cracking rides by Thomas, Pinot and Alaphilippe, as well as Teuns and Ciccone obviously. Thomas is obviously a contender but, just as it was daft to say that he was done when he lost 5 seconds the other day, it would surely be foolish to rule out Bernal now.

Leaving a 1 second gap the other day in a bunch kick is slightly different to actually being gapped by a few seconds on a proper MTF.

But I agree, if I think Quintana is suited to the final week then so is Bernal. The final week this year is very hard and very high.

Chances are that by then though that Bernal will be firmly in the domestique de luxe roll, not charging off up the road.
    Very handy to have, along with Wout "waiting for the last week" Poels.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,625
    Was not a great stage.
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,605
    Seems a bit of an outlier in terms of who’s going well on the really big, long climbs. So crazy steep at the end it’s a war of attrition. You can’t really attack on those sorts of roads.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • specialgueststar
    specialgueststar Posts: 3,418
    edited July 2019
    Keeping an eye out for Van Garderen
    out the back

Ouff

Good call Meurisse
    Bad call. Van Garderen
    Kiss of death. Edet
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,790
    Was not a great stage.

Interesting. For the last 40 k is my.verdict . The bonus mattered.

a Few surprises in the finale

It was not a rubbish stage.
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • ShutupJens wrote:
    Barguil engages FULL REGRET mode. One that I'm very familiar with from my racing days

Maybe I was a little euphoric but I wanted to have my fun.

Yessir that's refreshing!

Warren Barguil : "J’ai attaqué à 3,5 km de l'arrivée, j’ai peut-être été un peu euphorique mais je voulais me faire plaisir. C’est comme ça que je conçois le vélo. J’ai fait le boomerang, mais j’ai réussi à garder un bon rythme. J’ai tout donné. C'était une belle étape." @LeTour https://t.co/caWbVfyB5a
  • mididoctors
    Ciccone needs to lose that jersey soonish if he wants the polka dots in Paris
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    Very good ride from this Meurrisse fellow, looking at his palmares (he's 27) 3rd on a TDF stage would be something of a highlight.
  • blazing_saddles

One thing for sure, Wellens will be off up the road on Saturday, with 7 catagorized climb points up for grabs.
    Alaphillipe will also have to be marked.
    Trek going to have their work cut out.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Pinot doesn't care about winning clearly.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,325
    Was not a great stage.

It wasn't the fevered fiesta of fanciful efforts that hype had suggested, but it wasn't too bad. Break got away with it and it boiled up to an interesting denouement with a surprise twist. Better than at least 75% of tour stages, I'd suggest.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Was not a great stage.

It wasn't the fevered fiesta of fanciful efforts that hype had suggested, but it wasn't too bad. Break got away with it and it boiled up to an interesting denouement with a surprise twist. Better than at least 75% of tour stages, I'd suggest.

Pretty disappointing overall, but the ending was spectacular. Great finish and fantastic performances from Teuns, Ciccone, Thomas and Alaphilippe. Been a pretty good Tour so far.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,195
    Was not a great stage.

Agree. There was a lot going on. Interesting watch. Seeing various take a flyer off the front of the peloton vs who in the break will or not make it. Then the Alaphilippe vs Thomas at the end was a pleasant bonus.
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,307
    M.R.M. wrote:
    Lightweight wheels look amazing. Despite them being an outdated design

outdated maybe but right up there in desirability, build and the enviable position of not having to give them away. They set the bar for carbon wheels. Ineos, M-Scott prob some others are using them esp those autobahn discs. Contador had them for tt-ing.
  • mididoctors

One thing for sure, Wellens will be off up the road on Saturday, with 7 catagorized climb points up for grabs.
    Alaphillipe will also have to be marked.
    Trek going to have their work cut out.

That bonus may come into play on Saturday
  • hypster
    hypster Posts: 1,229
    I just noticed that Richie Porte finished with Fuglsang, Landa and Bernal and is 1:07 behind Thomas so not out of it by any means.
  • mididoctors
    hypster wrote:
    I just noticed that Richie Porte finished with Fuglsang, Landa and Bernal and is 1:07 behind Thomas so not out of it by any means.
    They are all in it. But Thomas has that look of rider who is going to ride away. .... Maybe an illusion we will see.

Pinot is looking good
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Here's the ITV commentary team having a running race up the final climb

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QopU3fXIVBk
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,148
    Was not a great stage.

Too tough for so early in the race maybe?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,625
    hypster wrote:
    They are all in it. But Thomas has that look of rider who is going to ride away. .... Maybe an illusion we will see.

Pinot is looking good

Thomas built last year’s win on very late but very very fast attacks.

I guess he makes use of that track pursuit speed he has.

This is in a similar vein.
  • hypster wrote:

Pinot is looking good

Quite an incredible transformation. I honestly wonder how he got down.to that weight when overweight at the beginning of the season and had an up and down season. To be sprinting up there seemed unreal. Don't worry this is not a suspicious post just genuinely impressed he can do it and would like to know how. What dedication. It must be purely diet?? When he rode up to alaphalippe he looked like he was at the start of the cat and fiddle. Anyone got any actual insight into his actual preperation ? It must be all to do with nutrition?
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    I don't know why people think missing the tour de suisse was such a disaster. He'd have cruised around and only been challenged by bernal.

Despite the media attempts to create a story, i never saw any evidence that he went full Wiggins over the winter. He didn't look particularly overweight earlier in the year.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    That stage would make an epic all dayer with some mates.

Bernal was interesting, he’s now my tip for the top.
  • blazing_saddles
    hypster wrote:

Pinot is looking good

Quite an incredible transformation. I honestly wonder how he got down.to that weight when overweight at the beginning of the season and had an up and down season. To be sprinting up there seemed unreal. Don't worry this is not a suspicious post just genuinely impressed he can do it and would like to know how. What dedication. It must be purely diet?? When he rode up to alaphalippe he looked like he was at the start of the cat and fiddle. Anyone got any actual insight into his actual preperation ? It must be all to do with nutrition?

The only insight I can offer is what his weight was a week before the Tour of Switzerland, just after returning from Tenerife, where he was turning out great numbers. We had that discussion in the yellow jersey thread.
    I didn't mention that he seemed relaxed and quite chatty, which, according to him, is a sign of preparation going well.
    He even allowed himself a gin, but no champagne......not outside the toasts, at least.
  • blazing_saddles
    Was not a great stage.

Certainly not in terms of the GC battle. seems the consensus was that the stage was just too hard, certainly at this early juncture.
    However, upon reflection, that was one of the best KoM/breakaway days in a long time.

I see they got rained upon during Avondetappe, last night.
  • Thought it was pretty much a perfect 'stage 6 result' - weeded out those not in form, and left a decent-sized field of GC contenders within a minute of each other.

To have them kicking lumps out of each other would've been exciting, but if they'd been spread all over the mountain we'd have been facing up to 2.5 weeks of very controlled racing.
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,382
    gsk82 wrote:
    I don't know why people think missing the tour de suisse was such a disaster. He'd have cruised around and only been challenged by bernal.

This. The "you must have raced X days before the Tour" is one of many cycling orthodoxies that if you think about them rationally make little sense.