inseine Posts: 5,786
    Hopefully this means Cummings will get a Tour place
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,847
    inseine wrote:
    Point!

That guy is value.
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    ddraver wrote:
    So long as you don't fan Boi as much as I did when I met Marianne Vos you're doing well...

(Ooh I'm ashamed even remembering it)

Nothing to be ashamed of, she's absolutely awesome. I'd be incoherent.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,111
    inseine wrote:
    Point!

That guy is value.

How many washed up ageing pros are DD going to take to the Tour? I can just about understand taking Cavendish, but Cummings has done nothing for two years so it's hard to see what he's done to justify selection.
  • ShutupJens
    ShutupJens Posts: 1,373
    Anyone know what happened to Harry Tanfield? 11th in the TT, having come 2nd last year
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,534
    andyp wrote:
    inseine wrote:
    Point!

That guy is value.

How many washed up ageing pros are DD going to take to the Tour? I can just about understand taking Cavendish, but Cummings has done nothing for two years so it's hard to see what he's done to justify selection.

I reckon Cummings is more likely to give them a stage win than Cav. I suppose it comes down to who else do they have who is likely to do better?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,686
    Pross wrote:
    andyp wrote:
    inseine wrote:
    Point!

That guy is value.

I reckon Cummings is more likely to give them a stage win than Cav. I suppose it comes down to who else do they have who is likely to do better?

He doesn’t seem to do much else.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,111
    Pross wrote:

I'd be astonished if they won a stage at the Tour. The management should be sacked for what they've done with the team, essentially going from everyone's favourite team because of their mission to get African riders into the World Tour, to a team consisting of ageing riders who can't buy a win.

The vast majority of the roster are out of contract this year, wholesale change of both the roster and the management is needed.
  • ShutupJens
    ShutupJens Posts: 1,373
    andyp wrote:
    Pross wrote:

I'd be astonished if they won a stage at the Tour. The management should be sacked for what they've done with the team, essentially going from everyone's favourite team because of their mission to get African riders into the World Tour, to a team consisting of ageing riders who can't buy a win.

The vast majority of the roster are out of contract this year, wholesale change of both the roster and the management is needed.

Letting Conor Swift join as a stagiaire and then not snapping him up for 2019 was a bit of a mistake I reckon. Could have signed a solid rider with potentially quite a high ceiling for not too much money
  • bm5
    bm5 Posts: 530
    ShutupJens wrote:
    Anyone know what happened to Harry Tanfield? 11th in the TT, having come 2nd last year
    I wondered that.
    Really pleased for Dowsett though as he seemed so disappointed when he was 3rd last year. He put real effort into both TT and road race with only family to support him.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,847
    Hammond left too whats that about?
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,954
    awavey wrote:

still at least the locals are looking forward to it...https://www.edp24.co.uk/motoring/road-c ... -1-6121908 ok maybe not so much then :roll:

I wouldn't read too much in to that, those kind of commenters are the kind you get everywhere who just moan about everything and think bringing back the birch/national service/hanging is the solution for all the worlds problems. North Norfolk where a lot of race is has elected a Lib Dem MP for the last 20yrs which makes it a lot more moderate than lots of places right now.

I'm going to watch the Men's race just after it gets on the coast road then cycle down to the city centre for the finish. Probably then hang around to watch the womens race depart and catch up with a couple of people I know who are doing the sportive when they finish then cycle back home and hopefully catch the womens race on it's return journey, passes fairly close to home.
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    ddraver wrote:
    So long as you don't fan Boi as much as I did when I met Marianne Vos you're doing well...

(Ooh I'm ashamed even remembering it)

Nothing to be ashamed of, she's absolutely awesome. I'd be incoherent.

shes a lovely person, really friendly to chat with, as is her cat :)
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    Oh, she was very sweet! In hindsight however, I was a creepy disgrace! :oops:
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,851
    andyp wrote:
    Pross wrote:

Didn't all the relegation threatened teams buy up all the old pros with loads of WT points in order to avoid extinction a couple of years ago? Is it the legacy of that?
    Half man, Half bike
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,954
    It's on YouTube. Nasty headwind on the coast road.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,326
    GB Men's elite: Watch it here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1f-JwsL0sSg
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,004
    On ES player just now with Boulting .

Not too clear what’s going on or how far through they are.
    Group of 10+ got some gap but no idea how far.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    Turn on to see Stannard frantically waving at the camera bike to take its turn and do some work rather than just sitting on his rear wheel. Motorbike declines to do so. Probably has teammates back in the chasing group.
  • Mad_Malx
    Standard staying a short way out front of group of 13 (including Ben Swift). No idea where the rest are.

Still 80 odd km left so I’ll look in another hour or so.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Chase group have apparently been caught by the rest of the peloton and a new chase group looks to be moving off the front; Stannard has just successfully chased down an attack by the motorbike.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Stannard caught and in a small group of leaders, at least two groups trying to get across.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Bostock, Archibald, Thwaites, Richardson, Ben Swift and Stannard forming the front group with 55 seconds over (presumably) the next group. 46km to go.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Second group including Blythe and Dowsett make it up to the front after half an hour of organised work.Immediate lull as everyone sorts themselves out.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Archibold, Stannard, Swift and Dowsett break away. Ineos have the tactical advantage, but Stannard must be shattered - he's not stopped attacking all day.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    edited June 2019
    Stannard goes again, Dowsett leads the chase - but cracks!

Archibold and Swift then get back up to Stannard...
  • Mad_Malx
    Srannard beaks again Dowsett droped off back of swift and archibald
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Stannard and Swift start working Archibald over...
  • Mad_Malx
    Advantage Swift surely
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Mad_Malx wrote:
    Advantage Swift surely

Feels like it. Archibald just tried to shift him with no notable success.