Chris Froome

18910111214»

Comments

• mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,645

RichN95. said:

Nothing special, but better than I'd manage at my peak

Am I being stupid or is that quite a slow cadence for him?

a lot of downhill where he isn't pedalling i suspect.

Zeroes are not included in the Strava average (nor Garmin or any other one I've seen).
    shows me up as a right boomer as the kids would say
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    Gazzetta are saying that he may return to racing at the UAE tour at the end of February.

(RCS own both the UAE Tour and Gazzetta so maybe they know something or maybe their just getting publicity)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,439

RichN95. said:

Zeroes are not included in the Strava average (nor Garmin or any other one I've seen).
    shows me up as a right boomer as the kids would say
    I always find my average cadence is way below what it is whenever i look at my current cadence. There must be something to it. It can't just be due to lower cadence while accelerating.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,311
    Cadence is probably lower when taking it a bit more easy.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368

RichN95. said:

well no, but anything more than a zero, like even 1per minute, would be, you never completely stop turning the pedals even going downhill,well ok I dont, as I feel Im not letting lactic then build up in the muscles too much, which might be a complete old wives tale.but the only time Im not pedalling even if its just turning the legs slowly is if Im stopped generally

but you can change your Garmin to record zeros on cadence for the average reading, its only the default setting that it non-zeroes
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    awavey said:

RichN95. said:

well no, but anything more than a zero, like even 1per minute, would be, you never completely stop turning the pedals even going downhill,well ok I dont, as I feel Im not letting lactic then build up in the muscles too much, which might be a complete old wives tale.but the only time Im not pedalling even if its just turning the legs slowly is if Im stopped generally

but you can change your Garmin to record zeros on cadence for the average reading, its only the default setting that it non-zeroes
    I find more often the opposite - i.e., I'm descending with pedals level, and I usually have the right foot forward in that case, and the magnet thingy goes forwards and backwards over the cadence sensor very quickly, giving a spike of like 200 rpm. From my last ride (this is about a 1.5km distance):

But those spikes are too short to affect the overall average.

I'm not sure what my Garmin would display if I just did one revolution per minute, because obviously it shows your cadence change much quicker than that so the averaging period for cadence must be in the order of a few seconds. I expect that it would show say 30 rpm for a couple of seconds then drop back to 0 for the rest of the time.

This is kind of off topic though...
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    Here's the split of cadence across the ride as a whole

2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    Froome has confirmed he's riding the UAE Tour. Sadly for you nerds, he did not disclose what cadence he will be doing.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,218
    Good luck to him. I hope he does manage to recover from it.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,581
    Maybe Milemuncher was right after all...
  • mididoctors
    edited January 2020
    so, in conclusion, I was right all along as usual.
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • bobmcstuff

so, in conclusion, I was right all along as usual.

That wasn't the conclusion... Larkim's post clearly shows the average being based on cadence time while moving... If you included that massive bar for 0-5 RPM (over 50 mins), the overall average would be massively lower. The median looks to be the 80-85 rpm bar.

• larkim
    I've simplified the buckets a bit more
    ZONE FROM RPM TO RPM TIME % ZONE
    Z1 0.0 5.0 00:52:02 14.7%
    Z2 5.0 50.0 00:05:32 1.6%
    Z3 50.0 70.0 00:58:56 16.7%
    Z4 70.0 75.0 00:32:58 9.3%
    Z5 75.0 80.0 00:40:22 11.4%
    Z6 80.0 85.0 00:49:16 13.9%
    Z7 85.0 90.0 00:44:18 12.5%
    Z8 90.0 95.0 00:29:03 8.2%
    Z9 95.0 100.0 00:22:01 6.2%
    Z10 100.0 150.0 00:18:49 5.3%

If you look at the "laps" he was clearly doing some time-based efforts - 24 minutes or so for the first lap, then exactly 30 mins, then exactly 10 mins (only covering a mile, so recovery), then exactly 30 mins, then a lap to the top, and one final "lap" for the remainder.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,218
    Jeez guys - didn't realise I was laying down such kindling.
  • mididoctors

Jeez guys - didn't realise I was laying down such kindling.

Power stats and meters is SRS stuff. They are expensive it's good they generate something of a debate ... ;)
  • larkim
    I love my stats. And the cadence thing chimes because once upon a time I was sneered at for asking whether the 92rpm cadence I was setting on a turbo for half an hour would be replicated if I went out for a "real world" ride using the same cadence sensor and recording device because I'd just roll down any hills I'd ridden up. It's not a daft question!

(For info, the data I pulled was using the "elevate" chrome extension for strava).
  • bobmcstuff
    larkim said:

I've simplified the buckets a bit more
    ZONE FROM RPM TO RPM TIME % ZONE
    Z1 0.0 5.0 00:52:02 14.7%
    Z2 5.0 50.0 00:05:32 1.6%
    Z3 50.0 70.0 00:58:56 16.7%
    Z4 70.0 75.0 00:32:58 9.3%
    Z5 75.0 80.0 00:40:22 11.4%
    Z6 80.0 85.0 00:49:16 13.9%
    Z7 85.0 90.0 00:44:18 12.5%
    Z8 90.0 95.0 00:29:03 8.2%
    Z9 95.0 100.0 00:22:01 6.2%
    Z10 100.0 150.0 00:18:49 5.3%

If you look at the "laps" he was clearly doing some time-based efforts - 24 minutes or so for the first lap, then exactly 30 mins, then exactly 10 mins (only covering a mile, so recovery), then exactly 30 mins, then a lap to the top, and one final "lap" for the remainder.

Yeah so obviously from that if you add the 52 mins at 0-5 RPM in (presumably this is the coasting time, approximately), the average would come down significantly from 79. That's nearly a 5th of the total time so he would have had to average nearly 100 RPM for the other 4 hours to give an average of 79 RPM including the zeros... Which the buckets above clearly show is not the case...
  • bobmcstuff
    larkim said:

I love my stats. And the cadence thing chimes because once upon a time I was sneered at for asking whether the 92rpm cadence I was setting on a turbo for half an hour would be replicated if I went out for a "real world" ride using the same cadence sensor and recording device because I'd just roll down any hills I'd ridden up. It's not a daft question!

(For info, the data I pulled was using the "elevate" chrome extension for strava).

Yeah me too.

My road average seems to be a bit higher than my turbo average, except on climbs. Not that it makes a whole lot of difference...
  • Longshot
    Longshot Posts: 940

larkim said:

Yeah me too.

My road average seems to be a bit higher than my turbo average, except on climbs. Not that it makes a whole lot of difference...
    Interesting, I'm completely the opposite.
    You can fool some of the people all of the time. Concentrate on those people.
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,834
    edited January 2020
    My personal bike performance comparisons to Froome stop at cadence, I'm very much a spinner most of the time, ~95-105rpm inside or out if my legs aren't dead.

78rpm average for Froome is very low. Maybe he was low cadence training because there's apparently no benefit to it whatsoever. ;)
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • bobmcstuff

My personal bike performance comparisons to Froome stop at cadence, I'm very much a spinner most of the time, ~95-105rpm inside or out if my legs aren't dead.

78rpm average for Froome is very low. Maybe he was low cadence training because there's apparently no benefit to it whatsoever. ;)

I was thinking maybe it could be something to do with the injury? Perhaps he can;t sustain high cadence like normal or has been advised not to for whatever reason. Cos like you say, it seems very low for him.
  • pat1cp
    pat1cp Posts: 766
    edited January 2020

Rohan Denis doing a very good impression of him, it's brilliant. Also shows he's in better place mentally, possibly even enjoying himself.