Giro 2019 stage 19 Treviso - San Martino Di Castrozza **spoilers** 151km

13»

Comments

• knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    Movistar full UK postal then launch landa?
    Yes that's what I would be doing as their DS.
    I know it's after-the-fact, but I think Landa's riding style suits a more irregular ascent (fluctuating gradients) than today's final climb, which was more or less constant the last 13-14 kms. Seems such may suit Lopez, however.
    (Note this for future PTP)
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    Brian Holm on DK Eurosport was predicting chain drops as almost everyone was riding in the big ring but lowest at the back. He said it literally two minutes before Vendrame dropped his chain.
    I was watching the Eurosport shown in Austria, Switzerland and Germany, where co-commentator is former French professional Jean-Claude Leclercq (French national champion 1985, winner Flèche Wallonne 1987, 2nd in LBL 1990, 2001-2004 Swiss national trainer).

A good 15-20 mins before Vendrame dropped his chain, when the break was still about 10 strong and Chaves was just trying his first attacks, Leclercq stated that many current riders need to still learn how to better use their gears for physiological efficiency. It was said as a general remark re long climbs, although he added if some in the break were in the wrong/too high gears/combination at the time of another Chaves attack, they would be caught out.
    Leclercq didn't actually say many in the break were in the big ring at the front and the lowest at the back, but I imagine he must have also noticed what Brian Holm did see and remarked upon.

Initially it struck me a bit like 'old man talk' from Leclercq, but Vendrame dropped his chain trying to respond to the last Chaves attack (probably because he was in the wrong gear at the time to quickly react), and maybe the others (Bidard, Serry) couldn't follow Chaves as they'd exhausted themselves riding a too high gear.

So it may be the riders are at fault, not the electronics - they ride in too high a gear (wearing themselves out), and if they then do try to shift to rapidly, the mechanics can't cope with the sudden electronic impulse?
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,786
    Roglic leads the reduced peloton in over the line, stringing them out but not causes any gaps.

No dramz today.
    Always nice to see a Chavez win, and post race interview in particular.
    Even more enjoyable with a couple of dramz. :wink:
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,861
    New stage thread?
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    knedlicky wrote:
    Brian Holm on DK Eurosport was predicting chain drops as almost everyone was riding in the big ring but lowest at the back. He said it literally two minutes before Vendrame dropped his chain.

A good 15-20 mins before Vendrame dropped his chain, when the break was still about 10 strong and Chaves was just trying his first attacks, Leclercq stated that many current riders need to still learn how to better use their gears for physiological efficiency. It was said as a general remark re long climbs, although he added if some in the break were in the wrong/too high gears/combination at the time of another Chaves attack, they would be caught out.
    Leclercq didn't actually say many in the break were in the big ring at the front and the lowest at the back, but I imagine he must have also noticed what Brian Holm did see and remarked upon.

Initially it struck me a bit like 'old man talk' from Leclercq, but Vendrame dropped his chain trying to respond to the last Chaves attack (probably because he was in the wrong gear at the time to quickly react), and maybe the others (Bidard, Serry) couldn't follow Chaves as they'd exhausted themselves riding a too high gear.

So it may be the riders are at fault, not the electronics - they ride in too high a gear (wearing themselves out), and if they then do try to shift to rapidly, the mechanics can't cope with the sudden electronic impulse?

Surely if a groupset can't cope with being in the big ring big sprocket it's not a great groupset?

I can't see why that should lead to a dropped chain - just changing up the cassette which is what you'd be doing responding to attacks. The bigger risk - if it is a risk - would be riding in the small ring and then having to shift up to the big ring while pressing on the pedals to respond to an attack.

As for riding in a high gear - Roglic is a spinner and he has failed to respond to plenty of attacks this race. I haven't watched it back but I can't remember thinking Chavez climbs with a particularly easy gear so again I'd take all this talk about right and wrong gears with a grain of salt.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Its specifically when sharply cross-chaining and trying to change gear quickly when you have the power down, you can try this at home... (probably not with the same power though).

For a climb like that they might be better having a larger inner chainring so they can ride in the small ring and have a good chainline.

Not sure Leclerq's physiological argument is very well supported.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    Yes I get what they are saying but the chain shouldn't drop changing up the cassette - not sure what watts some of these 8 stone climbers are attacking with at the end of a grand tour stage but I'd be surprised if it was anything 13 stone amateurs couldn't get close to on a good day with fresh legs.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    You're probably right.

It's only happened to me when dropping from the big ring to the small ring at the front under power. Not going up the block.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,100
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    You're probably right.

It's only happened to me when dropping from the big ring to the small ring at the front under power. Not going up the block.
    I presumed that was what was being suggested was likely to happen. I didn't see the clip but assumed they were in the big ring, either cross-chained or close and when they needed another gear would probably want to go to the small ring which, as you say, under pressure, can lead to a dropped chain. Or am I confused?
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • bm5
    bm5 Posts: 530
    Just caught up with this today. He won. I'm so happy. Best part of the Giro has been the stage winners from the breakaways.