Giro 2019, Stage 1: Bologna-Bologna (San Luca) 8kms ITT. *Spoilers*

Comments

• Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,918
    Roglic wins, Yates second, 18 secs down. Great start
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,804
    Perfect result for yates
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    Good climb by Yates.
  • mididoctors
    inseine wrote:
    Joint 32nd. He's going to have to smash the climb.
    lost no time on the climb
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    inseine wrote:
    Good climb by Yates.

I think that'll worry a few people for sure. He looked in good form there.
  • slim_boy_fat
    slim_boy_fat Posts: 1,810
    Perfect start for Yates. No stress of having the jersey but handily placed when it is time to try and take it.
  • inseine
    I can' find the times for the climb but I presume Roglic and Yates were the fastest.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,150
    inseine wrote:
    I can' find the times for the climb but I presume Roglic and Yates were the fastest.
    Giulio Ciccone was the fastest, three seconds faster than Roglic. He's targeting the Mountains jersey so he just focused on the climb. He was nearly 90s slower on the flat.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,586
    Really enjoyed that.

Most enjoyable opener to a GT since Giro Ned start (biased) or Monaco (less biased)
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Really enjoyed that.

Most enjoyable opener to a GT since Giro Ned start (biased) or Monaco (less biased)

Agreed.

GC stacked with the overall contenders at the end of day one and some nice gaps. And the stage looked pretty too.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    RichN95 wrote:
    inseine wrote:
    Giulio Ciccone was the fastest, three seconds faster than Roglic. He's targeting the Mountains jersey so he just focused on the climb. He was nearly 90s slower on the flat.
    Ciccone was the slowest to the intermediate, even slower than the eliminated Nishimura.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    iainf72 wrote:
    Really enjoyed that.

Agreed.

GC stacked with the overall contenders at the end of day one and some nice gaps. And the stage looked pretty too.

Just raced in reverse order.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • RichN95.
    Relative team strength. Number of riders in the top 40:

5 Michelton
    4 Astana
    3 Sunweb, Bora, Jumbo, Bahrain, Quick Step, EF
    2 Ineos, Movistar, UAE, Dimension Data
    1 Lotto, Katusha, Ag2R, CCC, Trek
    0 FdJ, Wildcards
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    gsk82 wrote:
    Before we declare Dumoulin to be finished, maybe check where Froome was after the first time trial last year, and also how back loaded this route is this year

But tom dumoulin isn't Chris froome. He's the new fabio aru.

Hahaha damming.

Not least because aru looks like he’s wallace’s Brother
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    I've just watched the Quest highlights. good format - 90% road coverage topped and tailed by studio intro/punditry. Shame it's on so late.
    And the commentary was pretty on the ball as well.
  • hypster
    hypster Posts: 1,229
    mrfpb wrote:
    I've just watched the Quest highlights. good format - 90% road coverage topped and tailed by studio intro/punditry. Shame it's on so late.
    And the commentary was pretty on the ball as well.

Great to see Si Richardson and Dan Lloyd on there from GCN as well.

It was on late only because the first stage ended late. It's on from 19:00-20:00 for at least the next week.
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    One bit of commentary that surprised me even though it shouldn't:

"Tom Dumoulin - the last non- British rider to win a Grand Tour"
  • mididoctors
    mrfpb wrote:

Last year Froome Thomas Yates. Easy to forget.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,577
    Any idea where/why Jonathan Edwards has gone? Thought he did a sterling job last year.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • inseine
    mrfpb wrote:

And two more Froomes before you get back to Dumoulin.
  • mididoctors
    edited May 2019
    Daniel B wrote:
    Any idea where/why Jonathan Edwards has gone? Thought he did a sterling job last year.
    I did not like Edwards . Rubbed me up the wrong way. Glad he has gone . Wiggins is a surprise .thought he would be too Its " all about me" but he really likes watching the race.
  • mididoctors
    inseine wrote:
    mrfpb wrote:

And two more Froomes before you get back to Dumoulin.
    and Yates was right dumoliin was s*****Ng himself when he won in 2017
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,479
    Daniel B wrote:
    I did not like Edwards . Rubbed me up the wrong way. Glad he has gone . Wiggins is a surprise .thought he would be too Its " all about me" but he really likes watching the race.

Haven't seen Wiggins yet but when he was riding he often spoke of his love of the history of the sport.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    those white & green Guerciottis look very sweet

#smooth
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,586
    Daniel B wrote:

I’m by no means a fan but I have said a while he’s make a good pundit for two reasons.

1) you name a bike race that was worth watching and he’s watched it. He properly loves the sport.

2) he’s quite happy to give a proper opinion.
  • RichN95.
    Daniel B wrote:

I’m by no means a fan but I have said a while he’s make a good pundit for two reasons.

1) you name a bike race that was worth watching and he’s watched it. He properly loves the sport.

2) he’s quite happy to give a proper opinion.
    He's also had a very varied career, riding for very diverse teams and in many different roles.
  • blazing_saddles
    Daniel B wrote:

You and me both.
    One word to describe the new format: rubbish.
    Two days of trying it and I've given up.
    None of the colour and energy of using the race the as backdrop.
    So formal, stiff and just plain dull.
  • mididoctors
    No flecha?
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,577
    Daniel B wrote:

You and me both.
    One word to describe the new format: rubbish.
    Two days of trying it and I've given up.
    None of the colour and energy of using the race the as backdrop.
    So formal, stiff and just plain dull.

Yep spot on, the studio format seems very stilted and dull really.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • blazing_saddles
    Interesting.
    Just been watching today's stage on Czeck Eurosport and surprise, surprise, they have Kirby and Magnus commentating.
    So, I can only assume that Mr Excitable has got the International gig, while UK, probably because of this new studio link thing, has Hatch and Kelly.