Giro 2019, Stage 1: Bologna-Bologna (San Luca) 8kms ITT. *Spoilers*

Comments

• blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    The consensus among a cross section of top riders is that there would be minimal benefits to changing bikes.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    looks like im going to miss this.. im in work now and going to be here until gone 1900 :-( Hope it's a decent stage will try and catch it when I get home
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,150
    Thomas De Gendt is doing the whole think on a regular bike in an attempt to get the mountain points (which seem to be awarded for the fastest split times up the climb)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • RichN95.
    This race has such a different feel since the main contenders went fully international.
    A decade or so ago, I used to refer to it as a 'local race for local people'
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    RichN95 wrote:
    This race has such a different feel since the main contenders went fully international.

isnt this what cycling needs to change in order to get bigger sponsors and more money into the sport.
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,851
    PTP Administration Message:

Entries accepted up to start of Stage 1 at 15:50 uk time...
    Half man, Half bike
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    RichN95 wrote:
    Not a bit unfair?
    It's true that for 11-12 years starting a bit before the Millenium the Giro was in Italian hands, but those Giros were usually more interesting than the simultaneous LA TdF years. Some excitingly close final GCs (like the year Garzelli narrowly won) and some outstanding riders as winners (Savoldelli, Cunego, Simoni, Pantani).
    And going back further back, during the previous 25 odd years, the Giro (with Belgian, Spanish, Russian, French winners, even Irish, Swiss and American) wasn't that much less 'international' than the TdF, especially remembering until '95 it competed re date with the Vuelta (riding the Vuelta was why Zoetemelk, Kelly, Delgado, Luis Herrera and Rominger never or rarely entered the Giro).
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Ahhh Bologna, widely thought to be home to the oldest university in the world.

And oh the food! If I lived there I'd be as big as a house.

They have wonderful open air cinema in the Piazza in July.

Maar I'm going to miss this stage alas.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,851
    Ridgerider wrote:
    PTP Administration Message:

Entries accepted up to start of Stage 1 at 15:50 uk time...

Errr make that 14:50 uk time...i.e. the moment Tommy D puts pressure on his pedal!
    Half man, Half bike
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    BigMat wrote:
    Anyone know what MS / Yates are thinking? Relying on a different weather forecast, dropped the ball completely, something else?! Seems like a very big risk to take.

FromCyclingnews;

Only Simon Yates has opted for a more traditional late start, with Mitchelton-Scott not convinced by contrasting weather forecasts. Seeing how all his overall rivals perform could give Yates an advantage or prove to be a big mistake.

The weather forecast seems to be sunny until storms around 19.00. Could be tight for Yates.
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,253
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    I want to see Dumoulin or Roglic have to sit in the 'hot seat' for three hours

I’m not going to watch it the full 3 hours - hopefully there’ll be a highlight package.

There is. On Quest (Ch.37 on Freeview) at 10pm I think. Also strangely on BBC Wales (S4C) which may be available via Iplayer
  • RichN95.
    The sensible plan to me is watch until Pozzovivo who starts at 4.40ish UK time, then come back for Yates at 6.40ish
  • blazing_saddles
    edited May 2019
    I do not like the pre-race show that Eurosport have opted for.
    Very comfy I'm sure but it's out with the colour of Villaggio di Partenza and back to the old days of flavourless studio chat.

Live (at 4pm) and free from S4C.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/live/s4c

With a blank pause for the ad breaks, but as it's the iPlayer, you can rewind, if you miss stuff or the start.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    edited May 2019
    amrushton wrote:
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    I want to see Dumoulin or Roglic have to sit in the 'hot seat' for three hours

I’m not going to watch it the full 3 hours - hopefully there’ll be a highlight package.

There is. On Quest (Ch.37 on Freeview) at 10pm I think. Also strangely on BBC Wales (S4C) which may be available via Iplayer

BBCWales. God's own tv channel showing God's own sport in the country where God has his holiday home.

We're watching it on EMC Direct for those who parlez Francais.

#francais
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • blazing_saddles
    Chugger Dumoulin is underway.
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,845
    edited May 2019
    Anyone going to race a pro up the course in the 1600 (and every 30mins) events on Zwift? :lol:

TD does 35.9kph average for 13min22secs! :shock:
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    That turn into the final climb looks pretty sketchy on a TT bike. Suspect at least one rider will stack it.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Dumoulin goes fastest...

#ObviousJokeAlert #LongGiroAhead
  • twotoebenny
    twotoebenny Posts: 1,432
    Dumoulin goes fastest...

#ObviousJokeAlert #LongGiroAhead

Was going to post similar
  • slim_boy_fat
    slim_boy_fat Posts: 1,810
    First 'bonification' of the Giro from King Kelly!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,612
    Lopez already faster than Tom.

Oof.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lopez goes faster; breaks down in tears on his bike as his team tell him he may be spending the next three hours sitting in the hot seat whilst everyone else gets to get a shower, warm down, grab a meal, see the sights...
  • rick_chasey
    Nibali 5 secs fastest
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lopez goes faster; breaks down in tears on his bike as his team tell him he may be spending the next three hours sitting in the hot seat whilst everyone else gets to get a shower, warm down, grab a meal, see the sights...

Nibali falls for the obvious trap and goes faster.
  • rick_chasey
    Roglic 23 secs faster than Nibs
  • twotoebenny
    twotoebenny Posts: 1,432
    Oooftt half a minute up already on Dumoulin
  • slim_boy_fat
    slim_boy_fat Posts: 1,810
    Dumoulin maybe underestimated what was needed here.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Roglic went a storm up that climb. TWO team cars having to be pulled out due to him catching people ahead.

Bike change for Demare didn't seem to result in him climbing any faster, either - Roglic ripped up the gap.
  • blazing_saddles
    So, Dumoulin beaten in a ITT by Lopez and Nibali and half a minute slower than Roglic over 8kms. :oops:
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,641
    Before we declare Dumoulin to be finished, maybe check where Froome was after the first time trial last year, and also how back loaded this route is this year